Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 11)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 501 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
crabbie
Aimerarrow
  • Profile picture
    Jazzy
    Topics:

So I’ve seen Minari. What exactly did Youn do that she deserves “to win” an Oscar for? Is it because she suffers a stroke???? She basically disappears from the movie from that point onwards…only to resurface during the fire scene. Overall she really didn’t have much to do. In fact, nearly 30 minutes went by before her first appearance in the film. But anyway, the fact that she did not get a Golden Globe nod is major disadvantage. The last person to win the supporting actress Oscar without a GG nomination was Marcia Gay Harden way back in 2001. Not to mention that this a foreign language performance. So I don’t see how you people are coming up with this prediction that she’s going to “win the Oscar”.

As a matter of fact, in this film it seemed like there were a couple of subconscious reminders to the Academy voters to vote for Glenn Close LOL. The word “Hillbilly” appeared twice in the subtitles. And the theme music from The Trip to Bountiful was played during one scene. Geraldine Page won the Oscar on her 8th nomination, and this will be Glenn’s 8th nomination.

FYC: Vanessa Kirby - Pieces of a Woman

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

So I’ve seen Minari. What exactly did Youn do that she deserves “to win” an Oscar for? Is it because she suffers a stroke???? She basically disappears from the movie from that point onwards…only to resurface during the fire scene. Overall she really didn’t have much to do. In fact, nearly 30 minutes went by before her first appearance in the film. But anyway, the fact that she did not get a Golden Globe nod is major disadvantage. The last person to win the supporting actress Oscar without a GG nomination was Marcia Gay Harden way back in 2001. Not to mention that this a foreign language performance. So I don’t see how you people are coming up with this prediction that she’s going to “win the Oscar”.

As a matter of fact, in this film it seemed like there were a couple of subconscious reminders to the Academy voters to vote for Glenn Close LOL. The word “Hillbilly” appeared twice in the subtitles. And the theme music from The Trip to Bountiful was played during one scene. Geraldine Page won the Oscar on her 8th nomination, and this will be Glenn’s 8th nomination.

Glenn Close and Hillbilly were terrible. Just say that you want her to win because she’s lost so many times. Let’s not pretend her performance deserve to win.

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Profile picture
    Barbra please
    Topics:

Is it me or Glennie just got shortlisted for the Razzies 😂😂😂🤣. Razzielly Elegy indeed.

I posted this in Part 10. Move on.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    rydemac
    Topics:

Glenn Close and Hillbilly were terrible. Just say that you want her to win because she’s lost so many times. Let’s not pretend her performance deserve to win.

You’re entitled to your opinion just as much as others are. Some loved Youn’s performance, and others did not find it Oscar-worthy. Some hated Hillbilly, and others were moved by it, especially Glenn’s character. Plain and simple.

Profile picture
    Yiploo
    Topics:

Darlings, I appreciate everyone who’s been rooting for Miss Youn for that Oscar win, but looking back at the history of how Asian actors have fared at the Oscars, she will be lucky to get in to the nominations. Asian actors will have to be literally sweeping and having a undeniable momentum/narrative to potentially be gunning for an Oscar win! Plus there’s no real backlash for the Academy to ignore Asian talents ever. No one really bats an eye if they just nominate white actors and sprinkle a few African American nominees in to show they are “not racist”. They will probably be more than willing to nominate someone like Ellen Burstyn and snub an Old Asian lady like they did last year. Although Miss Youn obviously does have much better chance than Miss Zhao last year since she is going to be in a potential BP nominee and with Parasite’s big wins last year, she could really ride the goodwill into the Oscars! But I wouldn’t predict her for a win unless she wins SAG and maybe CRITICS CHOICE AWARDS.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Two-Time Academy Award Winner Viola Davis.

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

You’re entitled to your opinion just as much as others are. Some loved Youn’s performance, and others did not find it Oscar-worthy. Some hated Hillbilly, and others were moved by it, especially Glenn’s character. Plain and simple.

Lol, no one can backup the claim that Close does good work in Hillbilly. Thanks for playing.

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Profile picture
    manakamana
    Topics:

Darlings, I appreciate everyone who’s been rooting for Miss Youn for that Oscar win, but looking back at the history of how Asian actors have fared at the Oscars, she will be lucky to get in to the nominations. Asian actors will have to be literally sweeping and having a undeniable momentum/narrative to potentially be gunning for an Oscar win! Plus there’s no real backlash for the Academy to ignore Asian talents ever. No one really bats an eye if they just nominate white actors and sprinkle a few African American nominees in to show they are “not racist”. They will probably be more than willing to nominate someone like Ellen Burstyn and snub an Old Asian lady like they did last year. Although Miss Youn obviously does have much better chance than Miss Zhao last year since she is going to be in a potential BP nominee and with Parasite’s big wins last year, she could really ride the goodwill into the Oscars! But I wouldn’t predict her for a win unless she wins SAG and maybe CRITICS CHOICE AWARDS.

I don’t understand how people look at the track record for Asians in the Academy and diagnose it as some conscious and concerted bias against them rather than the number of opportunities available. If you’re in the right film at the right time with the right narrative, like Miyoshi Umeki or Haing S. Ngor, you can do quite well.

Youn is primed with a great performance in an open field with a strong BP contender. With the HFPA you’re talking about 87 mostly white old rich entitled brats, their anti-Asian bias is one thing, but especially with a more diversified and international AMPAS voting body this year, that’s not going to be a factor that holds her chances back.

Profile picture
    VedanthM
    Topics:

I don’t understand how people look at the track record for Asians in the Academy and diagnose it as some conscious and concerted bias against them rather than the number of opportunities available. If you’re in the right film at the right time with the right narrative, like Miyoshi Umeki or Haing S. Ngor, you can do quite well. Youn is primed with a great performance in an open field with a strong BP contender. With the HFPA you’re talking about 87 mostly white old rich entitled brats, their anti-Asian bias is one thing, but especially with a more diversified and international AMPAS voting body this year, that’s not going to be a factor that holds her chances back.

Isn’t that bias in some way? Asian actors really have to be gun blazing through and have each and every narrative working for them to get nominated!

What was stopping Academy to nominate Zhao Shuzhen or Awkwafina for that matter? Let’s not pretend the acting category last year was primed with better performances than there’s.

Profile picture
    manakamana
    Topics:

Isn’t that bias in some way? Asian actors really have to be gun blazing through and have each and every narrative working for them to get nominated!

What was stopping Academy to nominate Zhao Shuzhen or Awkwafina for that matter? Let’s not pretend the acting category last year was primed with better performances than there’s.

Is there a deeper system bias in the industry? Of course. But if there’s an Asian contender that was only able to be produced because it’s a very independent production, it’s not necessarily because it’s Asian because it does just as well or poorly as many other small scale mostly white indie movies (god knows there’s plenty of those).

I loved The Farewell but it’s not surprising that a film and performances that relatively restrained and subtle couldn’t break through with the Academy. Youn Yuh-jung’s performance is much more dynamic and goes through a lot more in a visible “actory” way, and the comparison of her chances with Zhou’s always felt reductive and lazy to me.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Lol, no one can backup the claim that Close does good work in Hillbilly. Thanks for playing.

That’s not true at all. Plenty of people found worth in Close’s performance, from general audiences to awards groups that didn’t have to choose her. Now you’re just active trolling.

Profile picture
    Jazzy
    Topics:

Then why is she nominated for 3 precursors? These are 3 different organizations with different voting bodies, and yet all 3 have nominated Glenn for Hillbilly Elegy.

FYC: Vanessa Kirby - Pieces of a Woman

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

I’m trying to figure out how Jodie Foster is ‘Supporting’ in The Mauritanian. 🤔

But go off sis. Her performance is great and worthy of a nomination.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

i mean zhang ziyi was snubbed after bafta sag and globe noms, for a film that won multiple oscars, so.

Profile picture
    Matheus Vaz
    Topics:

You are the one playing thinking your opinion is the ultimate truth, get off your high horse dear, it’s not cute.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.