Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 11)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 501 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
crabbie
Aimerarrow
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The amount of British bloc support for <i>The Mauritanian </i>is insane. Every day I see a different person who is a British member of the Academy showing support for this film whether it’s Thandie Newton or Edgar Wright.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

We need to let Glennie rest. It’s been 3950 years. I hope deep down she enjoys the ride and is just having fun.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Rahim is 6th

Fine, he’ll be husband #6. The sacrifices I do for the bitches on this forum.

Profile picture
    rydemac
    Topics:

The revisionist history is off the charts. Glenn Close was 4th in the odds, with 2953 people predicting her for a nomination…

Didn’t she come from the top or something? The point being made was when critics’ reviews started dropping, many counted Close out and said she’ll be utterly shut out. Which was the complete opposite as she surprised everyone by turning up at all 3 major precursors so far (beating Seyfried and Burstyn) essentially regaining frontrunner status. The Globe loss may have slightly affected that, with Foster advancing, but it’s too early to count Close out completely.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

At this point of the race everyone has a hurdle or precedent to break for an Oscar win.

Youn (No actor has won best supporting actress without a Globe nomination in the past 4 decades. This anomaly occurred in 2001 too but apparently the actress was submitted in leading)

Close (No actor has won the Oscar for a film with mediocre/average reviews without winning a Globe first. No actor has won an Oscar for a film with a rotten tomatoes score below 50% )

Seyfried (Since the creation of SAG no actor has won an Oscar without being nominated there first with the exception of Regina King whose film had screener issues while Mank does not)

Foster (No actor has won a third Oscar without being nominated at Critics Choice or SAG since the creation of SAG. Granted the sample size is very small)

Colman (No actor has won a second Oscar without having won the Golden Globe since 2009. Mickey Rourke won over Sean Penn at the Globes)

It is very much an open race for who will win.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Watch Elizabeth Dibicki win for Tenet

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Watch Elizabeth Dibicki win for Tenet

Yes. And Anne Hathaway is going to win the Best Actress Oscar for her incredibly brave portrayal of a woman with ectrodactyly.

Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

At this point of the race everyone has a hurdle or precedent to break for an Oscar win. Youn (No actor has won best supporting actress without a Globe nomination in the past 4 decades) Close (No actor has won the Oscar for a film with mediocre/average reviews without winning a Globe first. No actor has won an Oscar for a film with a rotten tomatoes score below 50% ) Seyfried (Since the creation of SAG no actor has won an Oscar without being nominated there first with the exception of Regina King whose film had screener issues while Mank does not) Foster (No actor has won a third Oscar without being nominated at Critics Choice or SAG since the creation of SAG. Granted the sample size is very small) Colman (No actor has won a second Oscar without having won the Golden Globe since 2009. Mickey Rourke won over Sean Penn at the Globes) It is very much an open race for who will win.

Minor correction – Marcia Gay Harden won the Oscar without a Globe nom in 01 (who was apparently submitted for lead there)

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Minor correction – Marcia Gay Harden won the Oscar without a Globe nom in 01 (who was apparently submitted for lead there)

Thanks a lot for the correction. I had read on a forum no one has won Best Sup. Actress without a Globe nomination since 1978 so I went with that lol. I suppose Harden’s lack of nomination could be chalked up to being submitted in the wrong category which unfortunately Youn does not have as an excuse.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Marrowbone
    Topics:

The amount of British bloc support for <i>The Mauritanian </i>is insane. Every day I see a different person who is a British member of the Academy showing support for this film whether it’s Thandie Newton or Edgar Wright.

I’m excited to watch the Mauritanian tomorrow. If Jodie’s performance is as good as I expect to be, I would totally support a nomination.

⭐Best Actress - Carey Mulligan

⭐Best Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung

Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

Stats are getting jacked up all over the board in the female side this year. With the way precedents have been getting broken in the past year in the Oscars, anything’s possible.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I still feel very confident this is Yuh-jung Youn vs Jodie Foster. And I don’t think BAFTA will give us an answer as to who wins because Foster could win over Youn there à la Dev Patel over Mahershala Ali.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I still feel very confident this is Yuh-jung Youn vs Jodie Foster. And I don’t think BAFTA will give us an answer as to who wins because Foster could win over Youn there à la Dev Patel over Mahershala Ali.

What push is there to give Jodie Foster her THIRD? If we’re skeptical about Frances McDormand pulling it off for a BP frontrunner, then where’s the idea that Foster could win coming from aside from “oh she won the Globe”? She’s not even the best performance in the movie, and I’ve held to that since I saw it in December

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Marcel Carneiro
    Topics:

What push is there to give Jodie Foster her THIRD? If we’re skeptical about Frances McDormand pulling it off for a BP frontrunner, then where’s the idea that Foster could win coming from aside from “oh she won the Globe”? She’s not even the best performance in the movie, and I’ve held to that since I saw it in December

Frances McDormand won VERY recently. That’s what makes her win less likely than Foster’s.

Profile picture
    ClairesCrown
    Topics:

Frances McDormand won VERY recently. That’s what makes her win less likely than Foster’s.

For a third Oscar a performance has to be undeniable, and the fact she is barely nominated across the precursors & was not considered a nomination contender until the HFPA gave it to her suggests otherwise.

FYC EMMYS: THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. OLIVIA COLMAN - D. ACTRESS & HBC - D. SUPP. ACTRESS) & IT’S A SIN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. LYDIA WEST - LIM. ACTRESS & KEELEY HAWES - LIM. SUPP. ACTRESS) & I MAY DESTROY YOU IN ALL CATEGORIES

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.