Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 12)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 522 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I still think it is important to remember that Hillbilly Elegy has an 85 percent positive score on rotten tomatoes. A lot of people like it. It is higher than The Mauritanian, Mank, and Borat and only a few points lower than Minari and one point lower than The Father. Some people like the film.

Rotten Tomatoes, while important, is also a ratio. The IMDb score is an average, same with Metacritic. It’s more accurate to look at the average rating on RT than just the percentage itself, which may be different than the IMDb score still, but it’s still a more accurate aggregate than just the percentage

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Keth
    Topics:

Did you think Maria was lead or supporting?

?. I’m assuming there is nothing set in stone on what is considered lead or supporting since this is debated on many performances. I would think supporting should be less than 50% screen time so Maria would be more lead. She seemed to be on screen at least half the time or more. It would be nice if the Academy would create a criteria to determine between a lead or supporting performance. They obviously don’t have any rules on this since Timothy Hutton was obviously the lead of Ordinary People but won his deserved Oscar as supporting.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m finding trouble with that last slot in Supporting Actress. I feel confident in my top 4 which includes Colman, Foster, Youn and Zengel.

Bakalova is hurt by her Globe loss, Seyfried seems to hardly have any buzz left, Close is in a panned film and again is hurt by her Globe loss and does Burstyn stand a chance when Kirby is only just about in?

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Glenn Close will be nominated.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Like when she won the Golden Globe?

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Like when she won the Golden Globe?

Like when she was nominated for the Golden Globe.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Glenn Close is lead in Hillbilly Elegy?  Even Amy Adams is borderline.

Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

Like when she was nominated for the Golden Globe.

As if being GG nominee in a panned film was a safe bet.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

As if being GG nominee in a panned film was a safe bet.

If it was only the Globe, then yes, it wouldn’t be a safe bet. But she got SAG and CC, and she’ll probably get BAFTA as well. Despite being in panned film, she’s marking all the precursors.

It’s time to accept Glenn will be nominated. People here need to put their personal feelings aside.

Profile picture
    ClairesCrown
    Topics:

Not the will Glenn be nominated debate again, if the academy voters have any sympathy for her they won’t put her through it again 😭 if she is I hope she doesn’t attend

FYC EMMYS: THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. OLIVIA COLMAN - D. ACTRESS & HBC - D. SUPP. ACTRESS) & IT’S A SIN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. LYDIA WEST - LIM. ACTRESS & KEELEY HAWES - LIM. SUPP. ACTRESS) & I MAY DESTROY YOU IN ALL CATEGORIES

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Bakalova is hurt by her Globe loss, Seyfried seems to hardly have any buzz left, Close is in a panned film and again is hurt by her Globe loss and does Burstyn stand a chance when Kirby is only just about in?

I don’t have as much faith in Zengel as you do (not much in Foster either but more than Zengel) & I think both Seyfried and Close will get in, honestly. But the lack of passion plagues everyone, and that’s why this whole field is absolutely up in the air. A potential snubbee could win, someone who hasn’t hit any precursors could get in. Honestly who knows.

I do have one strong prediction: Unless Glenn Close gets in this year (likely) and wins (very iffy), Olivia Colman will win her 2nd Oscar before Glenn Close wins her 1st, even if Colman loses this race. In fact my prediction is basically wholly based on Colman’s future projects. I don’t think she’s winning with The Father, and I think Glenn will win real soon, but Colman will get there before she does (as a Glenn Stan, I am just making my peace with this lol, also I love Olivia Colman so it’s only the irony that plagues me. I wish people didn’t associate Colman with Close at all—but they might, after her upset, for……..ever!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

and she’ll probably get BAFTA as well.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I haven’t seen The Father, but I think Olivia Colman would be winning had Glenn Close won 2 years ago.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Rotten Tomatoes, while important, is also a ratio. The IMDb score is an average, same with Metacritic.

Fair. But even there, the IMDB score is 6.8. Mank sits at 7.0, Borat at 6.7, The Mauritanian at 7.3, Pieces of a Woman at 7.3. They’re all pretty close to each other.

Anecdotally speaking though, most people I know don’t like the film, but there is an overwhelming sense that there’s a sense of self-righteousness with which critics descended on it (even as a POC, I agree with that. Every so often, this happens, where critics attempting to be “of the moment” viciously pan a film but fail to articulate what the issue is. A few reviews hit the spot for me but most just seemed enraged that the film had designs on Oscars, which is an obvious but totally irrelevant insight). And almost nobody I know thought Glenn Close was bad in it. Almost everyone I know thinks Amy Adams was awful but Glenn Close got away with it. I agree with that. Close manages to dodge the film a lot of the time imo.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I haven’t seen The Father, but I think Olivia Colman would be winning had Glenn Close won 2 years ago.

Not really. It’s pretty much an Ellen Burstyn type role. It would be Bakalova easily.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 522 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.