Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 12)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 522 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Honestly maybe Bakalova only lost at the Globes because they thought her performance was more supporting than lead.

This is what I’ve been feeling. Pike was a true lead performance–a fantastic one at that–and the HFPA is obsessed with her apparently. I always thought Pike would win the GG and, unlike others here, I knew Bakalova wouldn’t be dead in the race after that.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I guess then we’ll avoid seeing her giving an honest reaction to losing the Oscar unlike the smiles most other actors can generate.

People need to give her a break. She lives in Germany, meaning it’s always around 2-4AM her time. Plus, the girl is 12!!

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Imagine thinking a films worth is based on the opinion of 90 racist European weirdos

Yeah the woman in a sari who gave a speech was really European.

I don’t give a fuck about the HFPA, but you sure did when you were happy to say Mulligan is over. Everything’s irrelevant to you unless your fave gets in. “The Big Sick was actually a respected movie” obviously that respect didn’t translate into anything.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

The PGA nomination for Borat made me finally bend the knee and Bakalova on, but I can’t shake this feeling that she could still get snubbed. I certainly can’t see her winning, though. She’s probably gonna be the sole nomination for the movie, and even then the film’s probably not getting a Best Picture nomination. But at this point, I guess we have to consider literally every possible outcome.

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Is The Father not eligible for PGA? I believe if that film had been eligible, the snub would’ve been because of Sony Picture (again). Does this company realise that they ruin their strongest film’s campaign?

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Is The Father not eligible for PGA? I believe if that film had been eligible, the snub would’ve been because of Sony Picture (again). Does this company realise that they ruin their strongest film’s campaign?

It was eligible, the campaign’s just been shitty. Not impossible that it cracks the Picture lineup, but it’s the #10 slot

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Rajesh Krishnamuti
    Topics:

To be fair, I’d argue that Bergman (and arguably Hepburn) deserved a 3rd less than many other legends (like Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck) And I’d argue Foster is bigger than McDormand and MUCH bigger than Close.

Wow really? Even with the depth and breadth of Close’s resume on film, tv and stage? Interesting.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

This is what I’ve been feeling. Pike was a true lead performance–a fantastic one at that–and the HFPA is obsessed with her apparently. I always thought Pike would win the GG and, unlike others here, I knew Bakalova wouldn’t be dead in the race after that.

Or maybe it means we’re getting oscar noms for both queen rosamund, and also bakalova.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

If Bakalova gets in, she’s NOT winning. This won’t be a Marisa Tomei in “My Cousin Vinny” moment. Voters are too snobby to reward a comedic performance of that degree.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

They nominated someone who shat in a sink who then proceeded to lose ironically enough to someone who shat in a pie. I could see them easily awarding the right comedic performance. Maria’s problem will be based on whether or not they want to reward her type of performance

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Or maybe it means we’re getting oscar noms for both queen rosamund, and also bakalova.

I’d love it. They’re both among my personal picks for noms, Pike being my favorite in her category–though there are quite a few fringe contenders I haven’t seen yet: Beharie, Jones, Pfeiffer, Bennet, the Rocks/Saint Maud women, etc.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

They nominated someone who shat in a sink who then proceeded to lose ironically enough to someone who shat in a pie. I could see them easily awarding the right comedic performance. Maria’s problem will be based on whether or not they want to reward her type of performance

What helped McCarthy was Bridesmaids’s success and the fact that she won an EMMY a year earlier. Voters love their EMMY winners in the Supporting Actress category.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Who shat on a sink? Anyways Octavia Spencer was in a strong best picture nominee that made it in every precursors and Spencer had a much stronger narrative than whatever Maria has. She’s also too young to win an Oscar too soon for a performance that is not undeniable.

Edit: Oh you are talking about McCarthy in Briesmaids. I’m not denying the Academy will not nominate Maria but a win is unlikely.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

People need to give her a break. She lives in Germany, meaning it’s always around 2-4AM her time. Plus, the girl is 12!!

This. I have been disappointed or angry over much less substantial shit at the age of 12, and back then I wasn’t as deprived of sleep as she probably is recently.

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

Who shat on a sink? Anyways Octavia Spencer was in a strong best picture nominee that made it in every precursors and Spencer had a much stronger narrative than whatever Maria has. She’s also too young to win an Oscar too soon for a performance that is not undeniable.

Edit: Oh you are talking about McCarthy in Briesmaids. I’m not denying the Academy will not nominate Maria but a win is unlikely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCUKRuNNhuo

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 522 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.