Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 12)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 522 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I seriously have no idea what the outcome will be. Any of the four (five?) potential winners could be snubbed. I hope the races in all acting categories remain this interesting from now on.

Olivia Colman and Yuh-jung Youn aren’t getting snubbed. I don’t think Jodie Foster is either.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

I might predict Youn to take BAFTA tbh

You guys really think that voting body will go for an Asian winner? I can totally see it for SAG/CC and Oscar but the BAFTAs… well

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

You guys really think that voting body will go for an Asian winner? I can totally see it for SAG/CC and Oscar but the BAFTAs… well

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t BAFTA… kinder (for lack of a better word) to South/East Asian nominees? I know Parasite was a huge thing last year, they gave Screenplay to Bong Joon-ho over Tarantino

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t BAFTA… kinder (for lack of a better word) to South/East Asian nominees? I know Parasite was a huge thing last year, they gave Screenplay to Bong Joon-ho over Tarantino

Is screenwriting voted by the whole body there? Because I see your point but Minari wasn’t even nominated in the top 15 films (longlisted by the whole body not jury this year)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Minari has been growing and growing across the board in support and I definitely think it has been growing in support from the British branch.

I think you all tread into this idea that “so and so won’t win” because “BAFTA members are racist” a bit too much. They do have a problem with institutional racism that is 100% true and they are quite European in the sense that they are apathetic towards films that discuss race relations, civil rights or racial justice in America. However these are the same people who have embraced the films of Steve McQueen and Ang Lee with a welcome hug, nominated Viola Davis for Widows when no one else did and even sometimes when they divert in their wins award other people of colour (albeit British ones like Dev Patel).

The Farewell‘s shut out last year was disappointing (as was the shut out of Parasite actors) and showed flaws with BAFTA but it’s not as if Jessie Buckley or some of the other British actors who BAFTA have awarded as “surprises” gave undeserving performances that were plucked out of thin air. Wild Rose was big in the UK, she had momentum and gave a powerhouse performance.

My point is that whilst BAFTA has issues with race, it’s not as if they have never awarded a person of colour in their history (although they do have incredibly problematic flaws like never awarding a black woman the Best Actress award even though they’ve given black women like Viola Davis more nominations in lead than the Oscars have and this year with how they snubbed poc male directors in favour of Christopher Nolan on the long-list).

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

Minari has been growing and growing across the board in support and I definitely think it has been growing in support from the British branch. I think you all tread into this idea that “so and so won’t win” because “BAFTA members are racist” a bit too much. They do have a problem with institutional racism that is 100% true and they are quite European in the sense that they are apathetic towards films that discuss race relations, civil rights or racial justice in America. However these are the same people who have embraced the films of Steve McQueen and Ang Lee with a welcome hug, nominated Viola Davis for Widows when no one else did and even sometimes when they divert in their wins award other people of colour (albeit British ones like Dev Patel). The Farewell‘s shut out last year was disappointing (as was the shut out of Parasite actors) and showed flaws with BAFTA but it’s not as if Jessie Buckley or some of the other British actors who BAFTA have awarded as “surprises” gave undeserving performances that were plucked out of thin air. Wild Rose was big in the UK, she had momentum and gave a powerhouse performance.

I told George my biggest concern that the film itself couldn’t even make it in the top 15.  I also am not sure if that is a sign of anything since the whole body longlisted that.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I told George my biggest concern that the film itself couldn’t even make it in the top 15. I also am not sure if that is a sign of anything since the whole body longlisted that.

This is true but it’s worth mentioning that <i>Minari </i>has grown in support since the long-list nominations voting ended.

My point more is that it’s not impossible for a person of colour to win BAFTA. It’s not as if it’s never happened before.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I know we generally look to BAFTA more than AACTA but I’m considering them more or less equally in terms of the Oscar race. AACTA obviously has some issues with their nominating process processes (Australian bias; snubbing Daniel Kaluuya, Leslie Odom Jr., and Youn Yuh-jung?) and the BAFTA nominating process has been completely overhauled.

Basically I’m not going to consider it a significant blow if someone doesn’t get nominated at either of these precursors but I am going to be looking out for who is and who isn’t able to get enough industry support to win.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Is screenwriting voted by the whole body there? Because I see your point but Minari wasn’t even nominated in the top 15 films (longlisted by the whole body not jury this year)

Got Director tho

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

This is true but it’s worth mentioning that <i>Minari </i>has grown in support since the long-list nominations voting ended. My point more is that it’s not impossible for a person of colour to win BAFTA. It’s not as if it’s never happened before.

I was also going to say this and I was also wondering if that film had a visibility problem at the time they were voting. Minari definitely has a lot more traction now, then it even did two weeks ago. The movie is peaking at a good time

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Minari is top 3 for Picture right now, so they’ll probably wanna reward it somewhere. So that’ll be Youn

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

Got Director tho

Got Director tho

I’m just still very baffled that it still didn’t make it in top 15 after being longlisted by a combo of chapter votes+jury saves in major categories (I don’t think Minari was this case) and then ended missing top 15. Maybe I’m reading into it too much.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Director was in by chapter vote I think.

And the jury will nominate him

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

And the jury will nominate him

No doubt. Funny enough, I think Youn is also my top lock for a BAFTA nom by Jury and I can even see Alan Kim (who is 7th in my predictions) getting in.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

No doubt. Funny enough, I think Youn is also my top lock for a BAFTA nom by Jury and I can even see Alan Kim (who is 7th in my predictions) getting in.

God, I would love for Alan Kim to get in. Also hoping for him to take Young Actor/Actress on Sunday

#StopAsianHate

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 522 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.