Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 12)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 522 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

What will it say about Helena Zengel if she loses to Alan Kim on Sunday? The Best Young Actor/Actress award usually goes to the performer closest to Oscars attention, but not always. For example Shailene Woodley (The Descendants) lost to Thomas Horn (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close). How much does the cuteness factor help? Unsure.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

What will it say about Helena Zengel if she loses to Alan Kim on Sunday? The Best Young Actor/Actress award usually goes to the performer closest to Oscars attention, but not always. For example Shailene Woodley (The Descendants) lost to Thomas Horn (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close). How much does the cuteness factor help? Unsure.

I think it’s 100% possible that News of the World is a tech and Picture only thing like Ford v Ferrari, but Zengel and Adapted Screenplay are still on the table. Albeit, the SAGs are friendlier to child actors than AMPAS is, so we’ll have to see if Zengel makes it in at BAFTA. Also, Minari is a stronger film than NotW overall. If NotW misses BAFTA nom for Screenplay, that will say a lot about the film’s chances there

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

Ronan also lost to Nikki Blonsky.

Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

This is true but it’s worth mentioning that <i>Minari </i>has grown in support since the long-list nominations voting ended.

My point more is that it’s not impossible for a person of colour to win BAFTA. It’s not as if it’s never happened before.

Best Actress and then I can give BAFTA the benefit of the doubt.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It would point towards Minari‘s strength than Zengel’s weakness for me and would suggest that Alan S. Kim has more Oscar buzz than we think.

What could happen though is <i>News of the World </i>could continue the trend of a film that gets nominated for Picture + tech and nothing else (after Black Panther and Ford vs Ferari) although I’m feeling pretty confident Zengel is in because her competition is getting weaker and weaker.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

It would point towards Minari‘s strength than Zengel’s weakness for me and would suggest that Alan S. Kim has more Oscar buzz than we think.

Minari is a stronger film than News of the World overall, so that would show here

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

News of the World will be nominated for Supporting Actress and Adapted Screenplay unless Sound of Metal go to Adapted.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Then hopefully they put Sound of Metal in Adapted so News gets the boot

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Zengel is so interesting. I have her making it in the Oscars in my current predictions. Although I’ve never toyed with the idea of her winning. News of the World didn’t get ensemble or Hanks in SAG. And the films best picture nomination isn’t locked as Minari’s. When was the last time a child actor won? Anna Paquin? Funny enough Paquin lost at the Globes too but won the Oscar at the end. However News of the World is not a big player as The Piano was.

Regardless I wouldn’t call you crazy if you predict Zengel to win since every nominee who wins would be breaking a precedent anyways.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Zengel is so interesting. I have her making it in the Oscars in my current predictions. Although I’ve never toyed with the idea of her winning.

Not a winning performance

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    musterd
    Topics:

Think they will tie them per CC style

Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

maybe it’d mean surprise oscar nominee alan kim

Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

This was mentioned over and over in 2011 and then in 2018, why this year is different? With a Razzie bait film?

Glenn’s overdue status wasn’t a big thing in 2011. There she was seen as fighting just to get a nomination.

Meryl had the big overdue narrative with ads everywhere blaring how it had been 30 or so years since she won and that she deserved a third.

Even in 2018 Close’s overdue status didn’t really take hold. Nobody was predicting her until she won the Golden Globe shockingly. Then people started mentioning that she was overdue. The company didn’t have much money to campaign for her so who knows if they overdue message even got out. Some people probably assume she had won before like it was said that people thought Meryl had a bunch of Oscars and not just the two she actually had. It is why Weinstein latched onto pointing out how few she had and how long it had been since a win.

Close was even introduced as an Oscar winner on an Emmy telecast once (by Rob Schneider as his “making copies” SNL character.)

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Glenn’s overdue status wasn’t a big thing in 2011. There she was seen as fighting just to get a nomination. Meryl had the big overdue narrative with ads everywhere blaring how it had been 30 or so years since she won and that she deserved a third. Even in 2018 Close’s overdue status didn’t really take hold. Nobody was predicting her until she won the Golden Globe shockingly. Then people started mentioning that she was overdue. The company didn’t have much money to campaign for her so who knows if they overdue message even got out. Some people probably assume she had won before like it was said that people thought Meryl had a bunch of Oscars and not just the two she actually had. It is why Weinstein latched onto pointing out how few she had and how long it had been since a win. Close was even introduced as an Oscar winner on an Emmy telecast once (by Rob Schneider as his “making copies” SNL character.)

And here she is in a film that has terrible reviews that she couldn’t even win a Golden Globe for. I really don’t think it’s happening for Glennie Pie

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Can people rooting against Glenn Close this season stop posting the lie that somehow her winning for Hillbilly will be a blight on her record. An Oscar is an Oscar.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 522 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.