Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 13)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 520 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
crabbie
wolfali
Naiad_Lyne
  • Profile picture
    Naiad Lyne
    Topics:

Late release.

Or simply her comeback narrative isn’t that strong to begin with. So it’s hard to predict her in noms for me. But then I can’t in all seriousness predict Close nom for her HE role.

Profile picture
    Bohemian Bovine
    Topics:

Part of why I think Foster is strong isn’t necessarily because of her film, performance, or some notion of a comeback narrative. They want those headlines when both her and Hopkins are nominated again, 30 years later.

In that sense, I think Leslie Manville was helped out by the fact that she was the ex-wife of the Best Actor frontrunner back in 2019. They like those kind of nominee connections. Oscar journalists get to write click-bait articles about that kind of stuff. Keeps the money machine churning.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

I finally took out Seyfried. That SAG snub was inexcusable and I could not keep her in my predictions. Given Mank’s underperformance in the non-juried categories at BAFTA, it’s not unreasonable to believe that she would also have missed BAFTA under the old system as well. So with that in mind, I took her out.

Profile picture
    Naiad Lyne
    Topics:

Part of why I think Foster is strong isn’t necessarily because of her film, performance, or some notion of a comeback narrative. They want those headlines when both her and Hopkins are nominated again, 30 years later.

You know I think you offered the most convincing argument for Foster nom. I’ll take it.

In that sense, I think Leslie Manville was helped out by the fact that she was the ex-wife of the Best Actor frontrunner back in 2019. They like those kind of nominee connections. Oscar journalists get to write click-bait articles about that kind of stuff. Keeps the money machine churning.

I get what you mean. I do remember some of those click-bait articles back then and how disappointed they were that there were no catfight between exes and they got along just fine and complimented each other lol. However let’s not disrespect Manville. She is a very good actress with a lot of great screen and theatre work and her role was very nomination worthy.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Foster winning the Globe a week before Oscar voting commenced plus the strength of “The Mauritanian” in non-juried BAFTA categories was all the convincing I needed to include her in my final five predictions. I don’t take too much worth in Foster missing at the BAFTAs for supporting actress. Trying to glean awards worthiness or unworthiness from juried pools of twelve is a fool’s errand.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Where the BAFTA juried system in acting comes useful is in cases like Dominique Fishback where it might indicate that those who watch <i>Judas and the Black Messiah </i>after seeing Kaluuya win all these awards might be taken by Fishback’s performance and she has a chance of coattailing (Stanfield less so). Tahar Rahim is the person who can coattail to Jodie Foster not vice-versa. Jodie Foster will get votes on the basis of her comeback narrative, her popularity in Hollywood, her Globe win and there being passion for her performance but when voters actually watch then film, some may be more inclined to vote for Rahim too.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Bohemian Bovine
    Topics:

let’s not disrespect Manville. She is a very good actress with a lot of great screen and theatre work and her role was very nomination worthy.

Oh yes, I mean no disrespect to Manville. Her performance in Phantom Thread was brilliant. I was just suggesting that there’s always more at play to getting nominated than the quality of one’s performance, which I’m sure everyone here knows.

Profile picture
    vlaxym
    Topics:

I’m a huge Foster fan, but I’m not so sure she will receive nomination. But then category is volatile, so its anybodys guess. For those of you whove seen The Mauritanian, is she nom/win worthy?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

For those of you whove seen The Mauritanian, is she nom/win worthy?

Nomination worthy yes. It’s also arguably a lead performance (her character is quite prominent within the plot) so whilst it’s not my favourite in this category and it is quite a conventional performance, it’s not as if she doesn’t do anything in this film.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

I know a lot of people think she’s a lead but do you guys think Viola would be the frontrunner here if she had gone supporting?

Doubt it.  Its not like best actress is exactly stable at the moment.

Profile picture
    Marrowbone
    Topics:

It’s a joy to see my lady being number 1 in the odds. Well done guys!

⭐Best Actress - Carey Mulligan

⭐Best Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung

Profile picture
    Damiansport1
    Topics:

I have Seyfried out, because i can’t find good reason she missed SAG. Wasn’t underseen or late-breaking. Wasn’t indie/small/foreign. Its tough to come up with precedent for her nomination. Like, Matt Damon for the Martian? He won Globe though. Octavia Spencer? But she was in BP winner. Anyone agreeing?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Also SAG love nominating their stars. Look at how Emily Blunt has managed to get in for performances on the bubble when it came to Oscar consideration.

I see no reason for why her miss was justifiable other than that the actors aren’t here for Mank. Which is a shame because I found the ensemble to be quite deserving.

Profile picture
    Nameizmann
    Topics:

Why is everyone dropping Zengel from their predictions? I don’t get it.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Why is everyone dropping Zengel from their predictions? I don’t get it.

News of the World flopped.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 520 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.