Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 13)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 520 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
crabbie
wolfali
Naiad_Lyne
  • Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

And how about the overdue factor which sometimes is the most important of all?

Nah, overdue factor can help you in the nom phase of voting, but for win, you need to be undeniable. Plummer was the critics darling, Moore and Oldman steamrolled the guild awards (and even won a fair number of regional awards).

No Oscar has been won (at least in recent years) with the sole sentimental factor as the Glendistas want to believe,

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

That’s the point I was making.

You made it sound like you were talking about Oscar nods. How can you call it a snub when it wasn’t happening lol.

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Because age plays an important role in Oscar wins? There is a reason why the youngest winner in their 20’s in this category ranges from 23-24.

Younger actresses have won. Age has nothing to do with anything in regards to these awards

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

You made it sound like you were talking about Oscar nods. How can you call it a snub when it wasn’t happening lol.

Haddish definitely had buzz going into the awards season. She won high profile critics prizes. And the random invitation from Oscars to announce nominees seems to indicate she had good will that year. 🤷🏾‍♂️

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

Well she can still win SAG is very much possible, SAG is possibly the most important precursor in this category so if Close wins there things will be looking great for her.

Nah, delusion over delusion.

First SAG doesn’t give 2nd or 3rd SAGs to random contenders. These came when the contenders are UNDENIABLE as winner (Helen Mirren in 2006, Daniel Day-Lewis in 2007 and 2012, Frances McDormand in 2017, Renee Zellweger in 2019). The SAG throws random awards to people who didn’t won yet (on film), even if snubbed as Emily Blunt and Idris Elba pointed out

Close has won NOTHING relevant. She lost the GG and CC. Her film is panned and at best she’s filler for the 8th nom (although on higher risk). The overdue card has been used in 2018. The debt has been erased.

Now with Bakalova and Youn as BAFTA nominees, put them in high stake. Only a surprrising Oscar nom can derail their chances, but considering Chung got the DGA nom and Bakalova is still present…

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I think Fishback will be nominated. She just got BAFTA and she’s getting some critics noms. I know BAFTA is useless but it’ll make her visible. I also don’t think there’ll only be one WoC nominated.

This case, I have to officially take Zengel off of my predictions, which is a shame because she was fantastic in old west Mandalorian.

Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

Sorry it was Oscar snub.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Younger actresses have won. Age has nothing to do with anything in regards to these awards

Yes and Jlaw swept the whole season.Got an Oscar nomination before and was in a strong best picture player. Swank won the Globe and made a name for herself before the Oscars. Maria is too young, a newcomer, and her performance isn’t undeniable seeing how she lost the Globe.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Hillbilly Elegy had so much potential to be an Oscar winning role for Close. But unfortunately the movie was an undeniable mess. Ron Howard had one job & one job only. He failed Glenn.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Bakalova is undeniably great but I wish, in hindsight, Tiffany Haddish could’ve been afforded similar support from voters. The Oscars even had Tiff announce the nominees that year, only to get snubbed. 🙄 It was arguably a much stronger Supporting Actress race, but still. Comedic performances of their magnitude are often overlooked.

They need to invite her back so she can pronounce Kaluuya again.

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson, Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor)

Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Hillbilly Elegy had so much potential to be an Oscar winning role for Close. But unfortunately the movie was an undeniable mess. Ron Howard had one job & one job only. He failed Glenn.

He failed both Damy and Glenn. Imagine casting the two most overdue actresses in Hollywood and not making a good movie.

Profile picture
    AndMore
    Topics:

I know the BAFTA noms don’t really matter this year, but as I was watching them do this category this morning, I just thought to myself, “I have no idea who is going to be nominated in Supporting Actress at the Oscars.”

I’ve been closely following the Oscars since 2010 and I don’t know if I’ve ever seen an acting category this open and with so many people who seem like a sure-thing, but could easily be left out. I don’t feel comfortable saying anybody is a lock or safe in this category.

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Yes and Jlaw swept the whole season.Got an Oscar nomination before and was in a strong best picture player. Swank won the Globe and made a name for herself before the Oscars. Maria is too young, a newcomer, and her performance isn’t undeniable seeing how she lost the Globe.

and what did paquin win?

Also Swank didnt win sags so her performance wasnt undeniable either

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

and what did paquin win? Also Swank didnt win sags so her performance wasnt undeniable either

Paquin wasn’t in the Critics Choice SAG years….but if you want to bring up her win then sure. Her film was a strong best picture nominee with 6 nominations and another win for best actress. Borat will be lucky to even be nominated for best adapted screenplay. Swank didn’t SAG in the 7th year of its award run but did get a Golden Globe. And the Golden Globes in general is a more accurate predictor for Best Actor and Best Actress. Best comedy actress this year could have easily went to Maria who got nominations at CC and SAG at the time and she also in the best comedy winner but Maria couldn’t even win there. Anyways these award shows were literally 2 decades ago or longer. It’s more valuable to look at this century’s young winners which includes Jlaw, Vikander, Larson, Hudson, and Jolie who literally sweep the award season.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

and what did paquin win?

Also Swank didnt win sags so her performance wasnt undeniable either

Cc and SAG weren’t around during Paquin’s run, but we know that the Academy watched the film because it won multiple Oscars.

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 520 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.