Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 500 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
crabbie
SN
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Love this.

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

People keep saying this but she won CC. CC voters don’t vote for you unless they think you can win the Oscar. And she obviously has appeal with the industry.

I feel like this really wise actually Bakalova vs Close. Youn losing CC and having zero precursor wins makes her incredibly unlikely to win in my mind, Colman isn’t winning again so soon, and Seyfried is lucky to be here. I really feel like SAG will come down to Bakalova vs Close as well, and whoever wins that wins the Oscar.

Amy Adams, Michelle Williams, and Amy Ryan all say hi.

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

The writing made her character feel like a caricature but her performance I would say was well acted? She didn’t move me but her acting did have nuance unlike Janney in I Tonya.

Yes, I agree. I don’t think it’s a particularly deserving performance, but I don’t think anybody in this category except Youn is particularly deserving. She’s good in that she manages to read some of the hackiest lines…well, but she can’t elevate the film because that’s probably impossible lol.

But Youn’s lovely. We should all root for Youn. If they don’t give it Youn, honestly…just please let them give it to Glenn. I know everyone’s like OOH COLMAN VS. CLOSE 2.0 but Colman didn’t set the world on fire either. They’re both good, that’s it. Colman’s in the much better film, but other than that—eh.

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

What a legend! The record Oscar nomination will be a nice birthday present this week.

“To get a Razzie and an Oscar nomination in the same year it’s pretty cool” pic.twitter.com/hU6g9Y9BIK

— Best of Glenn Close (@best_close) March 15, 2021

Profile picture
    Miguel Marrero
    Topics:

Close is winning.
    Real life character? ✔
    Transformative performance? ✔
    Overdue factor? ✔

Only performance that made me shed a slight tear when he gave her his graded assignment. Bash all you want. The other performances are either too “cute” or “safe”. Academy likes edginess.

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

Close is winning.
    Real life character? ✔
    Transformative performance? ✔
    Overdue factor? ✔

Only performance that made me shed a slight tear when he gave her his graded assignment. Bash all you want. The other performances are either too “cute” or “safe”. Academy likes edginess.

HAHAHA edginess! She is literally playing a redneck grandma, how is thay edgy? Lol

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

People keep saying maria cant win this or be nominated there for that performance yet she keeps proving her doubters wrong.  I wouldnt count her out at the oscars given what shes done this awards season

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Regina did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to win her Oscar. Just like Laura Dern. Those were career awards.

Naw. Sorry. Regina King was fantastic in Beale Street. From the way she says “hey baby” in that pivotal conversation with Trish character to her scene with Victoria in Puerto Rico to the simple way she negotiated Fonny’s mother and daughters, she literally was the character from the book through and through, without needing dialogue.

But that’s one of the things about this category. Since it’s frauded so often, we expected winners to have more screen time or do more scenery-chewing. The approach Regina King used in Beale Street was very similar to how she played Erika in The Leftovers—naturalistically, through tone and posture and immense restraint.

Now—I thought Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz were both really good in The Favourite, but I think Olivia Colman outshone them in a film where they’re all leads. I like those performances a lot. I was maybe more impressed by Stone more because it was the first I saw her operating at a level where I was like “damn, she put in the WORK and now LOOK at her range!”

But King deserved that win thru and thru.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Let’s go Glenn, I really thought her chances were dead but with this nomination, I think she can win, the field isn’t strong enough and she’s a living legend.

Profile picture
    Jazzy
    Topics:

LOL I wonder if she was dropping a hint when she posted that pic.

FYC: Vanessa Kirby - Pieces of a Woman

Profile picture
    Skyler Lindquist
    Topics:

Members of the 5/5 club: let’s party!!!

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

People keep saying maria cant win this or be nominated there for that performance yet she keeps proving her doubters wrong.  I wouldnt count her out at the oscars given what shes done this awards season

I don’t think anyone’s doubting Bakalova’s ability lol. I’m happy she got nominated! But she’s in a VERY non-Oscar film. It’s very hard to think of a performance in a film even remotely close to Borat that won: maybe Allison Janney comes closest, but I, Tonya is probably more dramatic than comedic. Marisa Tomei? The comedy bias is really strong. For the nod, I predicted her for one simple reason: there weren’t many strong competitors. She got in, like Melissa McCarthy, great. If she wins SAG, great. I’m just skeptical until it happens. If it does, I think it’d be pretty cool that the big awards finally start taking full-blown meta-screwball comedy seriously. It’s not the best performance of that kind I would like to see win, but it would be a good trend I suppose.

So, yeah, dark horse sounds about right. Also lol never underestimate the fact that many people won’t want to see Borat 2. Honestly, I couldn’t care less—I watched it solely so I could see what the big deal about Bakalova was. Not everybody will do that.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I kind of think… Glenn Close is going to win this? I think what happened at the Globes and CC is that there was Glenn Close-fatigue from her recent wins. In other words, the same people who voted for her in the hopes that she would win the Oscar 2 years ago decided to spend their vote on someone else this time.

But SAG voters obviously liked Hillbilly Elegy and now they are armed with the knowledge that Glenn is up for an Oscar. Knowing that, they might want to go her way. SAG is so big that she could still probably win if some of the people who voted for her for The Wife choose someone else. And if she gets SAG then I think she will take the Oscar.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

If Glenn takes SAG, she’s winning this. I would love to see that happening just for the meltdowns.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)’ is closed to new replies.