Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 500 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
crabbie
SN
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I know people are excited for Bakalova, but I think the nomination is the reward here. I mean I could imagine her taking down Seyfried, but the rest of the contenders have either better narratives or just stronger films. Borat 2 had an impressive run, but I’m not sure if the actor’s branch would actually go for it for the win. Like she absolutely made history and proved the skeptics wrong, so I don’t hold this wonderful achievement against her, but three of the other films are significantly stronger and more traditional, and Close is on her 8th nomination. There is simply no precedent for such a win, not even Melissa McCarthy (similarly nominated alongside the Screenplay) or Joan Cusack could do it.

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

I don’t think anyone’s doubting Bakalova’s ability lol. I’m happy she got nominated! But she’s in a VERY non-Oscar film. It’s very hard to think of a performance in a film even remotely close to Borat that won: maybe Allison Janney comes closest, but I, Tonya is probably more dramatic than comedic. Marisa Tomei? The comedy bias is really strong. For the nod, I predicted her for one simple reason: there weren’t many strong competitors. She got in, like Melissa McCarthy, great. If she wins SAG, great. I’m just skeptical until it happens. If it does, I think it’d be pretty cool that the big awards finally start taking full-blown meta-screwball comedy seriously. It’s not the best performance of that kind I would like to see win, but it would be a good trend I suppose. So, yeah, dark horse sounds about right. Also lol never underestimate the fact that many people won’t want to see Borat 2. Honestly, I couldn’t care less—I watched it solely so I could see what the big deal about Bakalova was. Not everybody will do that.

I used to be on that wavelength but Maria keeps making me look stupid.

First it was, of course she’s getting critics awards anybody can do that, bet she wont get nominated for precursors… nvmnd

Well of course shes nominated for the golden globes, anybody can get nominated for those bet you her run stops here… Nominated for Sags and critics choice eh..

Ha she just lost Golden globes to someone who’s not even favored for an oscar.  She’s done, no precursor wins for her… Really?

Thats fine though she won that critics choice award, wont be nominated for the bafta by a 12 person jury? NFW.  Wow.

Ok that bafta nom is it. No way is she nominated for an oscar, they’re too snooty to do such a thing.  OH COME ON!!!!!

Suffice it to say, Im done betting against Maria at this point. Hell she has yet to have taken a precursor loss to anybody in the category yet.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I used to be on that wavelength but Maria keeps making me look stupid. First it was, of course she’s getting critics awards anybody can do that, bet she wont get nominated for precursors… nvmnd Well of course shes nominated for the golden globes, anybody can get nominated for those bet you her run stops here… Nominated for Sags and critics choice eh.. Ha she just lost Golden globes to someone who’s not even favored for an oscar. She’s done, no precursor wins for her… Really? Thats fine though she won that critics choice award, wont be nominated for the bafta by a 12 person jury? NFW. Wow. Ok that bafta nom is it. No way is she nominated for an oscar, they’re too snooty to do such a thing. OH COME ON!!!!! Suffice it to say, Im done betting against Maria at this point. Hell she has yet to have taken a precursor loss to anybody in the category yet. Suffice to say, Im don

Okay, but all this time it was about getting nominated. Many of us thought that she’d struggle because of the lack of coolness within the members of the Academy. Now that she’s happened, and she has this groundbreaking nomination, do you think the voters would even vote for her for the win? I mean winning is a whole different matter, and I’m not sure that she would be the number one pick to win an Oscar. I mean how much is enough? It’s a brave and fun performance, but why would they deny Glenn on her 8th attempt? Or why would they snub Youn with Minari doing so well all around (not to mention it’s probably the only category where they could reward this strong film)? Colman also proved to have some kind of support with that AACTA win, and she could easily win SAG.

I feel like the hype is bigger than the actual appreciation behind this performance. It’s well-liked and well-supported as we’ve seen everywhere, and it’s most definitely a refreshing/popular mention, but I’m struggling with the picture in my head…

I think Youn will not be denied here. Having 4/4 POC winners would be nice, even if I’m rooting for Mulligan lol

Profile picture
    Cocastique
    Topics:

Am I the only one who thought Emma Stone was the best of the three in that film?

I wouldn’t say she was the best but she was definitely the one I enjoyed the most.

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Okay, but all this time it was about getting nominated. Many of us thought that she’d struggle because of the lack of coolness within the members of the Academy. Now that she’s happened, and she has this groundbreaking nomination, do you think the voters would even vote for her for the win? I mean winning is a whole different matter, and I’m not sure that she would be the number one pick to win an Oscar. I mean how much is enough? It’s a brave and fun performance, but why would they deny Glenn on her 8th attempt? Or why would they snub Youn with Minari doing so well all around (not to mention it’s probably the only category where they could reward this strong film)? Colman also proved to have some kind of support with that AACTA win, and she could easily win SAG. I feel like the hype is bigger than the actual appreciation behind this performance. It’s well-liked and well-supported as we’ve seen everywhere, and it’s most definitely a refreshing/popular mention, but I’m struggling with the picture in my head… I think Youn will not be denied here. Having 4/4 POC winners would be nice, even if I’m rooting for Mulligan lol

The POC winners thing is more of a concern of ours then it is of theirs.  They just nominated Borat for screenplay over ma rainey.

Storyline wise that climax with Giuliani is more than enough of a story if they were looking for reasons to give her the win and welcome her to hollywood. The others may have more compelling storylines but still.

Do I think she will win, currently trending towards no, but I dont think her winning is as unlikely as most people think.

Profile picture
    Sab227
    Topics:

I really dont know why a lot of people are surprised Glenn Close got the nomination the only place she missed was bafta and that was because of the jury.

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

I really dont know why a lot of people are surprised Glenn Close got the nomination the only place she missed was bafta and that was because of the jury.

Me neither. There was this thing of “win or not nomination” and why? She can be a filler this year and that’s fine. Glenn is relativity “young”, she is active, there’s still a chance for her in the future. Hopefully near future.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Her film literally overperformed. She won AACTA. She would have easily made BAFTA without the Jury. She could win SAG (she never won that award before). The path is there.

1) The film overperforming doesn’t mean anything for her actual chances. Just look at Amy Adams in Vice. It overperformed but like Colman, Amy had no narrative at all.

2) AACTA has a mixed track record in this category. They even snubbed some winners.

3) Marion Cottilard has two Oscar nominations and one win but no SAG. It’s not like Colman is overdue or something.

Even if she wins SAG, we’ll know it’ll be a makeup. There’s simply no narrative to give her a second win. I’m very confident she has no chance and is below Bakalova, Youn and Close.

Profile picture
    Matheus Vaz
    Topics:

The Night Manager actress…. bitch, you are crazy and jealous.
    It’s Academy Award Winner, 4x BAFTA Winner Queen Olivia Colman, you scum.

I call her whatever I want, the fume.

Profile picture
    Matheus Vaz
    Topics:

I’m very confident she has no chance and is below Bakalova, Youn and Close.

I agree with you here, honey. Glenn can win with only sag and Youn or Bakalova can win with both sag + bafta.

Profile picture
    Naiad Lyne
    Topics:

Cause her movie was awful.

Profile picture
    Cocastique
    Topics:

Lmao so was Andra’s ?

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Literally this. People keep underestimating how much the acting branch loves Glenn. The fact she got this far for an abomination of a movie just shows how beloved and acclaimed she is among her peers.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

um…and?! Several actors have been nominated before for awful reviewed movies. Sean Penn literally got an Oscar nom for a movie with a score of 28 on MC.

Profile picture
    Naiad Lyne
    Topics:

Lmao so was Andra’s ?

But she won GG at least.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)’ is closed to new replies.