Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 500 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
crabbie
SN
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Keth
    Topics:

Youn may win cause it, apart from the quality of her performance, will add to the diversity. BA and BSA will 100% go to Boseman and Kaluuya, two black actors. Youn will be Asian actress who wins BSA. If they’ll go with Day for Best Actress, then they will have 4 POC winners for the first time in history.

I was thinking about that and I think you may be right. Then I got a little sad when I thought about the acting winners photograph and Boseman would be missing. Really sad.

Life is a thin thread.
    We hang on tightly knowing
    it will snap one day.

Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

It’s only been two years and I’m sure many Oscar voters remember that big “Olivia Colman” surprise – Lady Gaga and Melissa McCarthy’s reactions were priceless. Glenn Close was obviously disappointed sitting in her Oscar gold gown and handled it with resignation grace, while Yalitza Aparicio smiled and clapped, just happy to be there. It took a good minute for my ears to recover from hearing the exact opposite to what they were expecting. I’m sure I’m not the only one. I say give the career Oscar to Glenn Close. Seyfried was really good and will probably be nominated again and Bakalova didn’t impress me. I haven’t seen Colman (does she need another one so soon?) or Youn Yuh-jong. Supporting actress can surprise: Close – lot of pressure for Academy voters, although her movie doesn’t help. Seyfried – she is in the most nominated film which may help. Bakalova – it seems many love her crazy ass performance. I’m not one of those and hopefully Oscar voters feel the same. Colman – could say too soon but it didn’t hurt Ali or Waltz. I’m not counting her out. Youn Yuh-jong – Mirani is a best picture nominee and her reviews are great. Her winning just might happen. I’m glad we don’t have a Laura Dern type lock this year.

I didn’t know someone named Youn Yuh Jong in a movie named MIRANI nominated. Is her performance any good?

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Tang Wei, Decision To Leave

James Hong & Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All At Once

Profile picture
    Keth
    Topics:

I didn’t know someone named Youn Yuh Jong in a movie named MIRANI nominated. Is her performance any good?

Spell check and do not post before coffee I tell myself again and again. I haven’t seen Youn Yuh-jung in Minari but I hear good things…

Life is a thin thread.
    We hang on tightly knowing
    it will snap one day.

Profile picture
    Beastialg
    Topics:

SAG will say who is the most likely to win this category since is a very open race and all have advantages and disadvantages going in. Right now I would say their chances are like this:

1. Yuh-jung Youn. Pros: She gaves the best performance in the category and Minari overperformed in noms and she is the best chance to reward the film somewhere. Cons: Unknown actress in the US with a foreign language performance
    2. Maria Bakalova. Pros: Very buzzy performance mainly because of the Rudy Giuliani scene and a lead in the movie so she gets a lot of screentime. Cons: Unknown actress in the US with a extreme comedic performance with some improvisation.
    3. Glenn Close. Pros: By far the most overdue in this category with 8 oscar noms and no wins. The role is baity. Cons: The film flopped with critics and she even got a razzie nom for this same performance.
    4. Olivia Colman. Pros: A great performance as you can expect from Colman and the movie also overperformed in noms. Cons: Unlike Youn she is not the best part on the movie (that would be Hopkins) and she just won 2 years ago.
    5. Amanda Seyfried: She is in the film with most oscar noms and she got notices as the best thing in the film. Cons: She misses SAG and she does have the weakest performance of all 5 even if she is still good. Also even if Mank is in the lead with most oscan noms, it underperform overall missing categories like best screenplay.

Right now I'm feeling Youn is going to win it but I'll change my prediction to whoever wins SAG.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I do see a scenario where Minari ends up becoming a Lady Bird and goes home winless (they have almost identical sets of nominations except Lead Actor instead of Actress and the additional Original Score nomination). Its best shot at winning seems to be this category which is the messiest of all, and I do have a feeling that Bakalova is the frontrunner now, and Close could gain momentum to take it all. If that happens, oh well. The nominations in themselves are a win! And Lady Bird isn’t remembered for being winless, it’s remembered for being a film people are very fond of and sprinboarding Gerwig onto all sorts of new projects. Do want Youn to get a chance to make a speech at some point though.

Lady Bird wasn’t exactly win competitive. Minari nominations broke countless records that was spread in the media and news. I would be very surprised if the film went empty handed at the Oscars. Rewarding Youn here would lessen the blow of the Parasite actors not
    being nominated for a single acting award despite the film winning best picture last year too.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Brackett89
    Topics:

I love how Razzie become somehow meaningful only when Close is nominated.

Profile picture
    asianmoviegeek
    Topics:

Oscars are racist anyway. I just hope Ms. Yuh-Jung Youn gets her deserved trophy. She has the all-time record of critics win and gave the most complex performance in this category. Bilingual sassy grandma with illness is already better than Dern’s slutty lawyer last year.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

1. The film overperforming means a lot for her actual chances. It means the film is popular. It literally has the British bloc. She is not comparable to Amy Adams, who was an absolute filler as usual and was in a five times stronger category with more acclaimed contenders and more passionate choices.

2. I mean homegirl Nicole Kidman won here a couple of times so the track record isn’t exactly strong, but other than that it’s an actual voting body who went with Olivia Colman over fellow nominees Amanda Seyfried and Maria Bakalova. That proves that industry people in Australia would reward her before the other two.

3. Marion Cotillard hasn’t been this popular, like ever. She’s a great talent, but the Olivia Colman phenomenon is just bigger. Colman isn’t overdue of anything, but it’s not impossible to think that they’d go for her on her 4th attempt to win a SAG.

Also, if she wins SAG, she’s pretty much in it to win it. It’s a crazy year, but she’d be the only winner with an actual trust-worthy precursor win. It wouldn’t look like a ‘makeup win’.

1) She’s a filler nominee like Amy Adams. It’s a perfect comparison.

2) They didn’t even nominate Laura Dern last year when they nominated her co-stars. For me that’s enough to not pay that much attention to this award. It’s industry but a pretty small part of it.

3) This widespread love for Olivia Colman that has never been proven true. Remember how she was winning the Golden Globe because she had two noms and the HFPA supposedly loves her so much that they award her for anything she does?

Marion Cotillard literally gave what’s considered one of the best performances in cinema history. Colman is not a bigger phenomenon than Cotillard just because you like her the most. They’re equally great and comparable.

4) I’m very confident she’s not winning SAG but if she wins the Academy won’t follow suit because she simply has no narrative.

Profile picture
    Beastialg
    Topics:

I do see a scenario where Minari ends up becoming a Lady Bird and goes home winless (they have almost identical sets of nominations except Lead Actor instead of Actress and the additional Original Score nomination). Its best shot at winning seems to be this category which is the messiest of all, and I do have a feeling that Bakalova is the frontrunner now, and Close could gain momentum to take it all.

If that happens, oh well. The nominations in themselves are a win! And Lady Bird isn’t remembered for being winless, it’s remembered for being a film people are very fond of and sprinboarding Gerwig onto all sorts of new projects. Do want Youn to get a chance to make a speech at some point though.

Right now I’m predicting The Father to be the one winless from all the best picture nominees.

Nomadland: Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography
    Promising Young Woman: Original Screenplay (and maybe Actress)
    Judas and the Black Messiah: S.Actor
    Minari: S.Actress
    Mank: Production Design
    Sound of Metal: Sound
    The Trial of the Chicago 7: Editing
    The Father: –

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

3) This widespread love for Olivia Colman that has never been proven true. Remember how she was winning the Golden Globe because she had two noms and the HFPA supposedly loves her so much that they award her for anything she does?

Remember when Glenn Close was sweeping because she was simply nominated for the Golden Globes?

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

We get it. You hate Close and you stan Colman.

I actually think Close is a better actor than Colman lmfao.

Profile picture
    Cocastique
    Topics:

Six weeks to go…

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I know a lot of people that are still sore at Parasite not getting any acting nominations last year. I believe this passion will help Youn get over the line (apart from her performance being deserving), so for me it’s between her and Bakalova.

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)’ is closed to new replies.