Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 498 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
crabbie
SN
wolfali

• wolfali
    Topics:

This isn’t a direct mention of any particular person but it’s funny how some people complain about their opinions not being valued and then trash everyone else for disagreeing with them about the quality of a performance.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

P(oweR) Valley
    Topics:

Youn’s performance is one of the most acclaimed performances of the year. I’m pretty sure Youn edges out Close on a lot of people’s best-of lists.

How big is Close’s overdue narrative this time around? I guess we’ll see on SAG night. If she loses there, especially to Bakalova or Youn, she’s completely done in this race.

Atypical
    Topics:

i am not saying you don’t find value in the nominated performance but you are biased. Her performance is good but not better than other nominees especially colman and youn. therefor she is not the one deserving the win most

But you’re not biased with an avatar of Youn Yuh-Jung on an account made the day after Oscar nominations? Moving on.

boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

But you’re not biased with an avatar of Youn Yuh-Jung on an account made the day after Oscar nominations? Moving on.

for your information i have a personal account since 2011 just didn’t want to use it since it has my own name on it. and tbh i don’t need to explain to you anything. if you read some reviews you will understand exactly what i mean

Atypical
    Topics:

for your information i have a personal account since 2011 just didn’t want to use it since it has my own name on it. and tbh i don’t need to explain to you anything. if you read some reviews you will understand exactly what i mean

Nor do I have to explain my support of Close to you.

ClairesCrown
    Topics:

The general consensus seems to be that Close’s performance is not better than Colman’s or Youn’s, whether your opinion differs from that or not. Then there’s the fact the latter are both in critically acclaimed best picture nominees & the former is in a critically panned, razzy nominated (whether that’s relevant or not) & underperforming Oscar bait film. Nothing in that has to do with personal dislike of Glenn, I’d be delighted to see her win but it doesn’t change the validity of the facts riding against her

FYC EMMYS: THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. OLIVIA COLMAN - D. ACTRESS & HBC - D. SUPP. ACTRESS) & IT’S A SIN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. LYDIA WEST - LIM. ACTRESS & KEELEY HAWES - LIM. SUPP. ACTRESS) & I MAY DESTROY YOU IN ALL CATEGORIES

boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

Nor do I have to explain my support of Close to you.

that is the point of this discussion actually ? to explain why you support certain performances… you’re missing the whole entire point

P(oweR) Valley
    Topics:

The conversation everywhere right now is about stopping hate crimes against Asians, especially after the gruesome terror attack in Atlanta against Asian women.

As a poster mentioned above, like most topical conversations, this conversation is also branching out to other sections, including Asian representation.

I don’t think the Academy would want to let Minari – a film about the Asian-American experience – go home empty-handed this year. And Youn is where they are most likely to reward it. Youn has a narrative that is getting stronger, and she always had the performance.

Thank you for articulating what I was trying to say regarding Youn’s Oscar chances and the hate crimes against Asians. It’s similar to how people said that BLM would affect Grammy voting. It sounds awful, but I think it could be a narrative here in this Oscar race. Even without it, Youn would still be competitive in this race, and deservedly so.

String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

As an Asian myself I have been pretty cynical with the Academy’s efforts of Asian representation. The last time an Asian woman won was 1957. The violence against Asian people will certainly build a narrative for Youn but the Academy would just claim they nominated 2 Asian people to battle this racism and let Parasite won last year to prove they aren’t biased against Asians. And Zhao is also winning so the Academy can pat themselves on their back more. I don’t know I’m really cynical and don’t trust the Academy.

Or maybe, just maybe, Parasite, Youn, Minari overall, and Zhao are actually the best of the best and not tokens at all? Because that’s what I firmly believe.

Here for the comedies

crabbie
    Topics:

Or maybe, just maybe, Parasite, Youn, Minari overall, and Zhao are actually the best of the best and not tokens at all? Because that’s what I firmly believe.

Of course! Parasite was the best film of the year and so is Nomadland but I feel like Youn’s historic Asian acting win narrative won’t play a huge part since the Academy has ignored Asian actors for so long. Things may have changed though with new membership and supposedly older members this year are voting less than the years before.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Decision to Leave
    Best Director: Park Chan-Wook Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett, Tang Wei
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

The history of racism is what it is, I can’t argue. But the historical patterns of migration and entry of recent migrant groups into the arts is also a reality. Interest and marketability of different stories will gain traction at different times. No one has been treated well by Hollywood apart from white men. Women have awards categories, true,  but getting cast has been a question of how much sexual assault are you willing to tolerate. Gay men, HIV positive, disabled, people with mental ill health, Asians, Black people, indigenous people, homeless people and so many groups have been represented badly. Women have, imho, been stereotyped and harmed appallingly, with decades long violent impacts in society. I’m sure glad times are changing and there’s more diversity especially in the younger age groups who feel able to create their own content and blaze their own trail.

Here for the comedies

crabbie
    Topics:

Youn’s win would be so deserving since she gave the best performance in the category and it won’t be because of tokenism or whatever when the Academy had made it pretty clear they do not care for Asian actors in previous years. The violence against Asian women may play a role in Youn’s narrative but it wont be THE factor that gets her the win.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Decision to Leave
    Best Director: Park Chan-Wook Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett, Tang Wei
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Youn’s win would be so deserving since she gave the best performance in the category and it won’t be because of tokenism or whatever when the Academy had made it pretty clear they do not care for Asian actors in previous years. The violence against Asian women may play a role in Youn’s narrative but it wont be THE factor that gets her the win.

Yeah, I mean she literally won the most critics awards. It’s the most acclaimed supporting performance of the year for a reason! Minari did amazingly with the nominations too, so she has a strong film as well!

I think the only thing that can stop her is the lazy name-checks for Colman and Close’s overdue narrative. But I feel like the buzz is still growing for Minari, so if she wins SAG & BAFTA, I don’t think they’d deny her the victory!

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

TheDreamingHead
    Topics:

Why do people make so much fuzz about Close winning? As a Close stan, I don’t think AND want Close to win for this horrible film either. The fact that she is nominated for an elusive 8th time for a panned film that most people claimed DOA is already a huge feat in itself! From now on, the race is left to Bakalova and Youn!

Barbra Please
    Topics:

Undeserving performances have won before. Case in point Laura Dern. So a Close win wouldn’t be surprising.

Not again. It’s better be Youn Yuh Jun.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 498 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)’ is closed to new replies.