Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 498 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
crabbie
SN
wolfali

• crabbie
    Topics:

Close’s 8th nomination gives her a lot of visibility to the public’s eye again and her record breaking 8th nomination has already made its leap in the news allowing more buzz and hype to be created for Sunset Boulevard. She is even producing the film: “We have a fantastic script. I’m starring as well as producing, so I’ve been in the trenches with that one. We’re just waiting for an absolute green light, and I hope it’ll happen in the new year because we’re ready.” and remarked how she is determined to play Norma before she dies. This will be the role that gives her the Oscar.It’s her passion project. I think they are going to film some time this year most likely in the summer.

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/glenn-close-sunset-boulevard-film_52650.html

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Decision to Leave
    Best Director: Park Chan-Wook Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett, Tang Wei
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

SN
    Topics:

Close’s 8th nomination gives her a lot of visibility to the public’s eye again and her record breaking 8th nomination has already made its leap in the news allowing more buzz and hype to be created for Sunset Boulevard. She is even producing the film: “We have a fantastic script. I’m starring as well as producing, so I’ve been in the trenches with that one. We’re just waiting for an absolute green light, and I hope it’ll happen in the new year because we’re ready.” and remarked how she is determined to play Norma before she dies. This will be the role that gives her the Oscar.It’s her passion project. I think they are going to film some time this year most likely in the summer.

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/glenn-close-sunset-boulevard-film_52650.html

This movie just needs decent reviews and then she’s easily winning.

wolfali
    Topics:

And to be a Best Picture contender. IMO what Close needs is a role as showy as Alex Forrest and Mamaw, one with the reviews of The <i>Wife </i>and one that’s as big a contender as <i>Dangerous Liaisons </i>and Fatal Attraction. I have hope in Sunset Boulevard providing all of that for Close (she won a Tony for it no?)

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

crabbie
    Topics:

Literally needs a 60% like BoRhap and she will win. The Iron Lady’s 51% score might suffice too. They won’t deny her an Oscar for a role for which she said she wants to play before she dies.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Decision to Leave
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once

crabbie
    Topics:

And to be a Best Picture contender. IMO what Close needs is a role as showy as Alex Forrest and Mamaw, one with the reviews of The <i>Wife </i>and one that’s as big a contender as <i>Dangerous Liaisons </i>and Fatal Attraction

Sunset Bouelvard is very very good and is a best picture contender and wins so Close gets two Oscars for her extraordinary career is the ideal timeline

FYC:

Atypical
    Topics:

Easily winning is a stretch, but I’ll believe it when “SB” is actually greenlit and filming. The world isn’t clamoring for another ALW film musical post-“CATS,” nor do I think films will be approved that readily post-covid. The source material isn’t BP worthy either, so it’s best hopes for Oscars would be with Close alone. It’s a bunch of cloudy maybes that might materialize to nothing. She’s worthy to win the Oscar now, and that’s my current hope for her.

Barbra Please
    Topics:

why do glenn stans want her to win..? i’d rather have her remembered as a great actress who didn’t deserve her snubs for dangerous liaisons/fatal attraction than as the worst supporting actress winner of all time

gO gET tHaT cAlCulAyToR oR i CaNCeL yUR BiRtH cErTifIcAtE

SN
    Topics:

Sunset Boulevard just needs a safe director like Bill Condon. It doesn’t even have to be a BP contender. It’s a much baitier role than The Wife.

asianmoviegeek
    Topics:

Glenn Close is sweeping!!!… the floor.

tennesseestellamccartney
    Topics:

The thing with Glenn Close is, even though most of us agree she is not the best performance of the year, this woman is 73 years old in Hollywood, it’s not like there are parts raining down on her; she has been acting for decades and after eight Oscar nominations, seeing her lose again is just sad. I wish they just stopped nominating her at this point if all they want is to keep seeing her lose, she has had so many Oscar worthy performances in the past and she is genuinely such a nice woman, who very much loves acting. That’s why there continues to be unwavering support and fanatism for a win that we know may not be the most deserving in her category this year.

All this said, I still don’t think she’s winning the Oscar at all. I’m sad to say I think it’s pretty much over for her, this “Sunset Boulevard” movie doesn’t seem to want to materialize, and it’s always a hit or miss with that kind of thing anyway.

Glenn reminds me of Geraldine Page who finally won her Oscar after many nominations, only a few months before she died. Thank God she got to win in the end.

crabbie
    Topics:

The thing with Glenn Close is, even though most of us agree she is not the best performance of the year, this woman is 73 years old in Hollywood, it’s not like there are parts raining down on her; she has been acting for decades and after eight Oscar nominations, seeing her lose again is just sad. I wish they just stopped nominating her at this point if all they want is to keep seeing her lose, she has had so many Oscar worthy performances in the past and she is genuinely such a nice woman, who very much loves acting. That’s why there continues to be unwavering support and fanatism for a win that we know may not be the most deserving in her category this year. All this said, I still don’t think she’s winning the Oscar at all. I’m sad to say I think it’s pretty much over for her, this “Sunset Boulevard” movie doesn’t seem to want to materialize, and it’s always a hit or miss with that kind of thing anyway. Glenn reminds me of Geraldine Page who finally won her Oscar after many nominations, only a few months before she died. Thank God she got to win in the end.

I totally agree with you. Close is such an inspiring woman. Her instagram posts are such a joy to read she’s a very genuine person. It is baffling how she did not get an Oscar for dangerous liaisons and fatal attractions. I have nothing against Close I love her but I am against the majority of career Oscars as I was with King in Beale Street and Dern/Pitt last award season. I truly think Sunset will be the movie that gets her the Oscar. She is producing it and the director has received wins from the Tonys and Emmys. If however the film doesn’t stick the landing literally give her an Oscar for the next film after that. I don’t care if its a 10 minute cameo or in a movie with a 10% Rotten Tomatoes score at that point in her 9th nomination she should win.

FYC:

AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

I mean Youn isn’t exactly 25 years old either, and unlike Close, she is not white so she will get even lesser opportunities to win an Oscar again.

Close literally got two nominations over the span of the last two years. I don’t think it’s a stretch to believe that she will get another in the future.

Youn is the most deserving and unfortunately the least likely to get nominated again, not Close.

Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

I will say that close has the conservative branch of the academy locked up once again. If she has enough supporters among those hoping to give her an award finally, could be a game changer.

rydemac
    Topics:

Glenn Close is a fantastic actress who deserves an Oscar, and it would be a shame if her long-overdue recognition from the Academy came from this performance in this movie. Sunset Boulevard seems to be eternally on the horizon, and when it finally happens she’ll be able to have her much deserved sweep. For now, I hope one of the other truly great and deserving performances in this category win.

Sunset will probably only happen if Glenn wins the Oscar this year. Sunset being shot or being produced beautifully is never a sure thing—producers may struggle to invest in the film given Glenn’s age and the visuals required. An Oscar win may re-elevate her box office bankability similar to how Olivia (albeit much younger) essentially became a star post-her Oscar win.

i am not saying you don’t find value in the nominated performance but you are biased. Her performance is good but not better than other nominees especially colman and youn. therefor she is not the one deserving the win most

that is clearly subjective. Many people (maybe not on this forum) enjoyed and loved her performance.

I mean Youn isn’t exactly 25 years old either, and unlike Close, she is not white so she will get even lesser opportunities to win an Oscar again. Close literally got two nominations over the span of the last two years. I don’t think it’s a stretch to believe that she will get another in the future. Youn is the most deserving and unfortunately the least likely to get nominated again, not Close.

To those saying Youn will have less Oscar chances in the future, probably true. (If she’s a legend in Korea, hopefully she’s been recognised with the Oscar equivalent there previously). But it sure as hell will mean a lot more to Glenn Close personally. After all she’s an American who has 8 nods and has seen lesser actors (Paltrow, etc) win the most coveted acting trophy for decades.
    Nothing against Youn, I’m Asian myself and I liked her performance.

Brackett89
    Topics:

that is clearly subjective. Many people (maybe not on this form) enjoyed and loved her performance. To those saying Youn will not have Oscar chances in the future, probably true. But it sure as hell will mean a lot more to Glenn Close (an American who has 8 nods) personally.

Yes and no. Yes: an Oscar would give the project more strenght… but at the same time, are Oscar win still so relevant? I mean: will Glenn’s audiences increase if she is an Oscar winner? Doubt it. Glenn is already a star, not Meryl-level but in the last two years she cemented her status much more than her colleagues. She’s a veteran that can reach a nod for a critically panned film. She’s the over 60 everyone is referring at, at the moment, and that goes beyond her Oscar win. Can’t see anyone in that position – except Meryl, of course. At this moment I’d say she’s more bankable than Mirren, Sarandon, Lange and Field. She got three Oscar nods in the last ten years (which is a great amount, for a veteran of her age), never forget that. Anytime she’s in contention, she gets it. She’s consistent.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 498 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)’ is closed to new replies.