Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 500 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
crabbie
SN
wolfali

• rydemac
    Topics:

Glenn Close is a fantastic actress who deserves an Oscar, and it would be a shame if her long-overdue recognition from the Academy came from this performance in this movie. Sunset Boulevard seems to be eternally on the horizon, and when it finally happens she’ll be able to have her much deserved sweep. For now, I hope one of the other truly great and deserving performances in this category win.

Sunset will probably only happen if Glenn wins the Oscar this year. Sunset being shot or being produced beautifully is never a sure thing—producers may struggle to invest in the film given Glenn’s age and the visuals required. An Oscar win may re-elevate her box office bankability similar to how Olivia (albeit much younger) essentially became a star post-her Oscar win.

i am not saying you don’t find value in the nominated performance but you are biased. Her performance is good but not better than other nominees especially colman and youn. therefor she is not the one deserving the win most

that is clearly subjective. Many people (maybe not on this forum) enjoyed and loved her performance.

I mean Youn isn’t exactly 25 years old either, and unlike Close, she is not white so she will get even lesser opportunities to win an Oscar again. Close literally got two nominations over the span of the last two years. I don’t think it’s a stretch to believe that she will get another in the future. Youn is the most deserving and unfortunately the least likely to get nominated again, not Close.

To those saying Youn will have less Oscar chances in the future, probably true. (If she’s a legend in Korea, hopefully she’s been recognised with the Oscar equivalent there previously). But it sure as hell will mean a lot more to Glenn Close personally. After all she’s an American who has 8 nods and has seen lesser actors (Paltrow, etc) win the most coveted acting trophy for decades.
    Nothing against Youn, I’m Asian myself and I liked her performance.

Brackett89
    Topics:

that is clearly subjective. Many people (maybe not on this form) enjoyed and loved her performance. To those saying Youn will not have Oscar chances in the future, probably true. But it sure as hell will mean a lot more to Glenn Close (an American who has 8 nods) personally.

Yes and no. Yes: an Oscar would give the project more strenght… but at the same time, are Oscar win still so relevant? I mean: will Glenn’s audiences increase if she is an Oscar winner? Doubt it. Glenn is already a star, not Meryl-level but in the last two years she cemented her status much more than her colleagues. She’s a veteran that can reach a nod for a critically panned film. She’s the over 60 everyone is referring at, at the moment, and that goes beyond her Oscar win. Can’t see anyone in that position – except Meryl, of course. At this moment I’d say she’s more bankable than Mirren, Sarandon, Lange and Field. She got three Oscar nods in the last ten years (which is a great amount, for a veteran of her age), never forget that. Anytime she’s in contention, she gets it. She’s consistent.

crabbie
    Topics:

Close confirmed the Sunset Boulevard’s script has already been finalized. It was originally going to be filmed in 2020 but the pandemic hit..and now its an extended award season so I will assume she will be filming for it after April. I do agree at her age her roles are limited but since she has no Oscar a lot of directors want to bank on that to give her baity roles and be the one who directs the film Close wins an Oscar for. Hillbilly Elegy is one of them and she was also in another 2020 movie that is set to be released in April (Four Good Days) playing a character who takes care of their substance abuse using daughter but unfortunately it was critically panned.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, TÁR
    Best Director: Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, TÁR
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

Brackett89
    Topics:

Close confirmed the Sunset Boulevard’s script has already been finalized. It was originally going to be filmed in 2020 but the pandemic hit..and now its an extended award season so I will assume she will be filming for it after April. I do agree at her age her roles are limited but since she has no Oscar a lot of directors want to bank on that to give her baity roles and be the one who directs the film Close wins an Oscar for. Hillbilly Elegy is one of them and she was also in another 2020 movie that is set to be released in April (Four Good Days) playing a character who takes care of their substance abuse using daughter but unfortunately it was critically panned.

Well it however got better reviews than Hillbilly Elegy 😀

asianmoviegeek
    Topics:

GET REAL. Redneck Floppegy is coming home empty-handed.

wolfali
    Topics:

I think it’s worth mentioning that it’s not as if the Oscars haven’t been in this situation before. Peter O’Toole was nominated 8 times and still lost and his last nominated film and performance were more acclaimed than Close’s.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

aahoto
    Topics:

I took Close out of my predictions hours before the nominations announcement because I didn’t think they’d nominate her for this film, only for her to lose again. Obviously a bad move on my part. I had Fishback in instead.

I don’t agree that good roles will become scarce for her. She is working consistently and she’ll definitely win an Oscar before she decides to retire. She needs a supporting role (most likely) in a decent film and that’s it.

rydemac
    Topics:

Why has no other cast members been confirmed (as far as I know). The director was confirmed in early 2019, ages ago. Again this can be a make-or-break just like Cats. So to those feeling like Sunset will certainly happen, or will be amazing, and will win Glenn’s elusive Oscar, it is still not sure. What will the visual effects look like if it does not have a good budget? An Oscar win this year (with all the publicity) for Glenn will certainly help make this happen and boost investor/producer confidence.

Hillbilly on paper had all the right elements: Oscar-winning director, Oscar-nominated screenwriter, a score from an Oscar winner, the 2 most overdue actresses, baity roles, but it still did not gain traction as a film outside the performances. I still maintain my personal opinion that the film was moving and it touched on important issues like generational trauma and drug abuse, despite being uneven and fairly simple.

Point is nothing is sure, especially for a 73-74 year old in these uncertain times, with COVID still ongoing. Not to say that I agree that it will be a career award as I very much enjoyed Glenn’s transformative performance.
    Judging from the conversations here, I sense that this is now between Youn and Close.

Naiad Lyne
    Topics:

Close is not winning for HE.

Youn wins it or maybe even Bakalova. But definitely not Close.

rydemac
    Topics:

I think it’s worth mentioning that it’s not as if the Oscars haven’t been in this situation before. Peter O’Toole was nominate 8 times and still lost and his film and performance were more acclaimed than Close’s.

That was for a Lead performance and the competition is undeniable and essentially swept (Whitaker won GG, BAFTA, SAG). This race is Supporting and no one has swept. I can imagine Youn beating Close but certainly not Bakalova. But that’s just me.

I took Close out of my predictions hours before the nominations announcement because I didn’t think they’d nominate her for this film, only for her to lose again. Obviously a bad move on my part. I had Fishback in instead. I don’t agree that good roles will become scarce for her. She is working consistently and she’ll definitely win an Oscar before she decides to retire. She needs a supporting role (most likely) in a decent film and that’s it.

Hope you’re right that roles won’t be scarce for her. But I don’t think she got any meaty roles between Albert Nobbs and The Wife (6 year gap), despite the supposed already overdue status in 2011. Even The Wife wasn’t the typical baity, high-profile role. It was a low-budget, little-watched film that received unusual widespread acclaim for a subtle performance.

GET REAL. Redneck Floppegy is coming home empty-handed.

I’m not from the US and I’m not white, and I’m not sure if you are. But I’m guessing the consistent proud use of words like “redneck”, especially to insult, is probably why the US (and maybe the world) is extremely divided. HE was panned by many critics but it was 1 of the most-watched releases on Netflix in November. And the audience scores reflect that many who watched it loved it.

boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

THE FATHER will be on BIFA ourscreen on 8th April. If anyone wants to watch here is the link

https://www.ourscreen.com/screenings/the-father

not sure if it’s geoblocked or not tho

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

TheDreamingHead
    Topics:

I think it’s worth mentioning that it’s not as if the Oscars haven’t been in this situation before. Peter O’Toole was nominated 8 times and still lost and his last nominated film and performance were more acclaimed than Close’s.

Because O’Toole’s last nomination before Venus was in 1982, a whooping 26 years before. He already had won an honorary award, and Forrest Whittaker was the damn sweeper that year (trifecta + NBR sweepers, won almost every regional critics, swept all GG, SAG, BAFTA, CC). The fact that Whittaker still won Best Actor being a lone nominee in his film spoke how strong he was that year. Meanwhile, Close:

1. Score 3 nominations in 10 years in the later phase of her career, coming out of the most popular upset 2 years ago.

2. She hasn’t won an honorary award.

3. Neither Bakalova or Youn has been as strong as Whittaker that year.

Like I don’t want and predict Close to win either but the O’Toole’s comparison is literally bullshit whenever it’s brought up lol.

Atypical
    Topics:

Why has no other cast members been confirmed (as far as I know). The director was confirmed in early 2019, ages ago. Again this can be a make-or-break just like Cats. So to those feeling like Sunset will certainly happen, or will be amazing, and will win Glenn’s elusive Oscar, it is still not sure. What will the visual effects look like if it does not have a good budget? An Oscar win this year (with all the publicity) for Glenn will certainly help make this happen and boost investor/producer confidence.

Hillbilly on paper had all the right elements: Oscar-winning director, Oscar-nominated screenwriter, a score from an Oscar winner, the 2 most overdue actresses, baity roles, but it still did not gain traction as a film outside the performances. I still maintain my personal opinion that the film was moving and it touched on important issues like generational trauma and drug abuse, despite being uneven and fairly simple.

Point is nothing is sure, especially for a 73-74 year old in these uncertain times, with COVID still ongoing. Not to say that I agree that it will be a career award as I very much enjoyed Glenn’s transformative performance.
    Judging from the conversations here, I sense that this is now between Youn and Close.

Yes to all of this! Shout it for those in the back. It’s absolutely no certainty that “Sunset Boulevard” will ever be made or that it’s an Oscar-winning role. Tomorrow is not promised! Close should focus on the present, which is her eighth Oscar nomination that she is very competitive to win. That’s all that’s relevant.

Naiad Lyne
    Topics:

Like I don’t want and predict Close to win either but the O’Toole’s comparison is literally bullshit whenever it’s brought up lol.

I think the comparison is this: “Just because you have 8 noms and you are respected actor in the industry doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll win  your Oscar”.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)’ is closed to new replies.