Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 500 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
crabbie
SN
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    KingOfMovies
    Topics:

Let’s face is ALL ACTORS do Oscar bait movies. The upcoming Shirley Chisolm starring Regina King is also a massive Oscar bait especially after two recent projects featured that character. So what is not Oscar bait but will anyone accuse Regina for doing an Oscar bait film?

Other than Promising Young Woman which is a genre film, all the films are Oscar bait. So don’t act like other people don’t care about winning Oscars.

The fact that Glenn Close gets called Oscar bait for doing a juicy role (on paper) when she does not even get film roles is just misogynist and ageist. The Wife was not Oscar bait as it was an indie film with a very subtle performance which got great reviews. But even then misogynists and ageists had problem with her winning. The Academy gets accusation of being ageist but are the people of gold derby and film twitter different for shaming Glenn over and over again?

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Judas completly overperfomed. Fishback was probably sixth

Profile picture
    Jazzy
    Topics:

Let’s face is ALL ACTORS do Oscar bait movies. The upcoming Shirley Chisolm starring Regina King is also a massive Oscar bait especially after two recent projects featured that character. So what is not Oscar bait but will anyone accuse Regina for doing an Oscar bait film? Other than Promising Young Woman which is a genre film, all the films are Oscar bait. So don’t act like other people don’t care about winning Oscars. The fact that Glenn Close gets called Oscar bait for doing a juicy role (on paper) when she does not even get film roles is just misogynist and ageist. The Wife was not Oscar bait as it was an indie film with a very subtle performance which got great reviews. But even then misogynists and ageists had problem with her winning. The Academy gets accusation of being ageist but are the people of gold derby and film twitter different for shaming Glenn over and over again?

Gotta love double standards. If anyone were to criticize Regina’s performance or film, they’ll be called a racist. But people on here seem to think that any criticism of Glenn is considered fair game. Look at how they very dismissively say that she should just win an honorary Oscar. Why should she have to settle for an honorary Oscar when she can win a competitive Oscar this year?

FYC: Vanessa Kirby - Pieces of a Woman

Profile picture
    Dan Jo
    Topics:

Official Supporting Actress nominees:

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Ignoring the fact that you’re seemingly only calling out black films for being oscar baity, I bet it was sexist when leo was called out for being just as thirsty too?

Profile picture
    BenitoDelicias
    Topics:

Whatever happens here will be great. I assume Colman is very much out of this and Seyfreid lost whatever frontrunner status she once had. Many even predicted a snub.

So this will result in Close finally winning, a “supporting” actress from a Borat sequel nobody even knew existed or an Asian actor winning an acting Oscar. Seems okay to me.

I’m going for Close on this one.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

Youn vs Close.

They can finally give Close her Oscar or finally award an Asian actress, the first in 60+ years.

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

dominique was so closeee to a nom, i just knowwwwww it

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    Manuelcolon
    Topics:

If Glenn does win, she’ll be on those “worst Oscar winners” lists for the rest of her career. She deserves better.

People will only put her there because they want to, not because she actually would be one of them, and she would not be one of the worst.

And let’s be honest, both Supporting categories have had some really shitty winners this decade, it has become the category of lets reward veterans or the black actor because we are too coward to give any black performer a lead award.

So if Glenn wins i would be more than fine, because i can judge her performance outside of her film or whatever everyone thinks.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Trivia: Has there ever been 2 actors nominated for Oscars but also Razzies in the same category? Albeit Bakalova wasn’t directly nominated for her performance…interesting.

I’m tired of reading Bakalova doesn’t deserve her nomination. It’s iconic. People focus too much on the Rudy scene. Yes, she was absolutely helped by the #MeToo movement, but she isn’t the only nominee riding a political wave.

I’m glad voters also appreciated her comic timing and versatility on display. It takes serious skill and bravery as a relative newcomer to the profession to pull off so many long and spontaneous takes. This performance more than deserves to be nominated and it’s refreshing to have such an unorthodox performance in the mix for a change. Apart from Youn perhaps the other nominees couldn’t be more Oscar baity and textbook which normally y’all complain about so what exactly is the problem with this diverse moment?

I’ve said it before and will say it again, if Close wins for this hammy performance, what a stain on her career!

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson, Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor)

Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

I gotta say I do wonder of a possibility of a Seyfried win with Mank’s whopping 10 nominations. Do I like it? No. But again everyone’s voting for the winner, not just the actors.

Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

^I mean, aren’t all of the winners from the past decade in this category hated here?

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

dominique was so closeee to a nom, i just knowwwwww it

That really sucks because she was deserving.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

^I mean, aren’t all of the winners from the past decade in this category hated here?

Do people hate Viola’s win other than the category fraud thing? I did think it was a lackluster for supporting actress though (bring back Monique worthy wins)

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 14)’ is closed to new replies.