Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 15)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 15)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 485 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
crabbie
boredandricho..
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

GLENN CLOSE did a great job. My brother who is part of the DGA has a group and everyone is voting for Close and some others for Colman. The Father is doing great between directors. Haters here are just dumb. I want her to win because the OSCAR will green light Sunset Boulevard.

I will never stop being surprised that there are people who actively hate on legend Glenn Close.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

It’s Close’s 8th nomination AMPAS will bite. The experts and editors have rallied behind Close for SAG while only a few are predicting Youn. Its Youn v Close. Bakalova’s nomination is the reward itself.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Youn’s and Close’s characters are ones that find themselves often in exceptional circumstances throughout their respective films. There’s nothing about Colman’s character’s circumstances that are especially out of the ordinary, and I believe this has translated to a lack of passion for Colman, however phenomenal her acting is.

Ah. I see what you mean. You’re right… and I agree, I just don’t see Colman winning for this role at all. I suppose I was just wondering what commonplace meant because I guess for the kinds of women Close & Youn play, their circumstances are somewhat… realistically frequent? I mean, opioid addictions & immigration, are they really more “exceptional” than having a father with dementia? Lol I’m just nitpicking & thinking out loud, sorry

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

Ah. I see what you mean. You’re right… and I agree, I just don’t see Colman winning for this role at all. I suppose I was just wondering what commonplace meant because I guess for the kinds of women Close & Youn play, their circumstances are somewhat… realistically frequent? I mean, opioid addictions & immigration, are they really more “exceptional” than having a father with dementia? Lol I’m just nitpicking & thinking out loud, sorry

No, you’re so right and I know what you mean. At face value, their roles seem more “commonplace”–perhaps this was a strange choice of word. But the things that their characters do throughout the film are more out of the ordinary than what Colman’s does. And when they’re all delivering great acting, usually the more exciting choice will come out on top.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    oscarin7
    Topics:

I’m just gonna leave some interesting facts here.

• If either Glenn Close or Amanda Seyfried wins, it will be the first time a supporting actress wins for portraying a real person since Allison Janney won for I, Tonya.

• If either Glenn Close or Youn Yuh-jung wins, it will be the first time a supporting actress wins for portraying a grandmother since Mo’Nique won for Precious.

• If either Glenn Close or Maria Bakalova wins, it will be the first time a supporting actress wins for a film that was not nominated for Best Picture since Regina King won for If Beale Street Could Talk.

• Maria Bakalova, Glenn Close, and Amanda Seyfried have received Razzie Awards nominations. None of them has won, at least not yet. If either Maria Bakalova or Glenn Close wins both the Razzie and the Oscar, that would hilarious. 😂

• This is the first Oscar nomination for Maria Bakalova, Amanda Seyfried and Youn Yuh-jung. It’s the second nomination for Academy Award winner Olivia Colman and the 8th nomination for Glenn Close (overdue, duh!).

In conclusion, if Glenn Close wins (I’m rooting for her and I think she has a good chance) she will be breaking a lot of stats and the BIG curse that has stopped her from reaching Oscar gold. She has the potential of winning an Oscar and a Razzie in the same year and that just shows how legendary and iconic she is. All I have to say is I will love it if Glenn wins the Oscar, but I’ll be happy if anyone else wins. This is a very strong lineup (although I don’t think Bakalova’s role was supporting) but still a very strong lineup.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I have a theory about Oscars, which isn’t anything special. I just think AMPAS votes strategically and somehow ends up always rewarding almost every BP nominee with at least a win if possible. Obviously there are movies that aren’t win competitive for anything so they’re going home empty handed no matter what, but I’m preparing myself for a Youn win-consolation prize for Minari going home empty handed. AMPAS is shady and nasty. They can easily deny Glenn her Oscar yet again. If Youn snatches BAFTA, I think it’s over even if Glenn has won SAG. As for my theory, I’m 100% sure Hopkins would be fully sweeping had it not been for Boseman’s posthumous narrative, so no BP nominee this year I expect will go home empty handed (with the exception of Father which in theory would also be winning), except for maybe Chicago 7, it could be this year’s big yet boring Netflix contender that flops like Irishman.

I proposed this theory before and how Swinton’s prize was Michael Clayton’s consolation prize as was Rylance with Bridge of Spies. Ma Rainey is not nominated for BP so the maximum wins an actor in a BP nominee can be is 3/4 or 2/4 which hasn’t happened in the past decade since 2012.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Darlings I’ve prepared myself for a Close win. If you’ve seen Hillbilly Elegy, you would know Close’s character deals with her mortality throughout the film. Close is 74 with 0 Oscars and 8 nominations. Her birthday was literally 2 days ago during the SAG voting period. Frances is 63 years old on the cusp of a possible 3rd Oscar this year as is Davis with a potential second. Voters will be reminded of Close’s fragile age in the film and from the recent passing of 91 year old Christopher Plummer. They will be inclined to vote for her so she does not die Oscarless. There might not be a chance to reward her she has no upcoming projects and her film with Mila Kunis is already tanking on Rotten Tomatoes. AMPAS will also be able to shove it to critics face for the low rotten tomatoes score that they are an independent organization who does what they want.

Youn is a legend in Korea but is relatively unknown in the states. SAG won’t be able to name check her and in the pandemic year I doubt the majority of voters have even seen at least 5 movies.

Profile picture
    oscarin7
    Topics:

Darlings I’ve prepared myself for a Close win. If you’ve seen Hillbilly Elegy, you would know Close’s character deals with her mortality throughout the film. Close is 74 with 0 Oscars and 8 nominations. Her birthday was literally 2 days ago during the SAG voting period. Frances is 63 years old on the cusp of a possible 3rd Oscar this year as is Davis with a potential second. Voters will be reminded of Close’s fragile age in the film and from the recent passing of 91 year old Christopher Plummer. They will be inclined to vote for her so she does not die Oscarless. There might not be a chance to reward her she has no upcoming projects and her film with Mila Kunis is already tanking on Rotten Tomatoes. AMPAS will also be able to shove it to critics face for the low rotten tomatoes score that they are an independent organization who does what they want. Youn is a legend in Korea but is relatively unknown in the states. SAG won’t be able to name check her and in the pandemic year I doubt the majority of voters have even seen at least 5 movies.

Yes, I agree. Glenn Close was so good in Hillbilly Elegy and even though the movie is bad she was the best part of the movie. I really hope the Academy gets it right this time. She really deserves to win an Oscar. In fact, she should have many.

Profile picture
    JakeT
    Topics:

Yes, I agree. Glenn Close was so good in Hillbilly Elegy and even though the movie is bad she was the best part of the movie. I really hope the Academy gets it right this time. She really deserves to win an Oscar. In fact, she should have many.

Not at the expense of better performances in this category. I agree Close should already have won. She may win this year, I’m not ruling it out, but she definitely shouldn’t. I say this as a fan.

Profile picture
    asianmoviegeek
    Topics:

Ms. Yuh-jung Youn is winning this.

Redneckbilly Floppegy ain’t winning shit.

Profile picture
    oscarin7
    Topics:

Ms. Yuh-jung Youn is winning this. Redneckbilly Floppegy ain’t winning shit.

I would not be so sure about that, but I’ll let you enjoy your fantasy for a minute.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Youn winning isn’t exactly a fantasy either…she’s in a beloved Best Picture nominee with a strong performance that was able to defy the Academy’s bias against nominating Asian people. SAG will determine which narrative who’s narrative is stronger between Youn and Close.

Profile picture
    Brackett89
    Topics:

Despite some trolling stuff in here, it’s time not to be too much romantic. AMPAS denied Miss Bacall – a powerful legend of Hollywood – her golden statuette in order to award Miss Binoche in a much stronger film. So a potential snub for Close is likely (yeah, I know, Bacall was at her first, etc., yet…).

But I do think that some hope for Close is possible: I have the feeling that the kind of voters that could prefer Bakalova e Yuh-jung Youn would end up splitting preferences. That leaves space for reactionary voters, that would probably go towards Close and perhaps Seyfried. British block is all the way for Colman, I suppose.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

The vote splitting between Bakalova and Youn will benefit Close by a large margin.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 485 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 15)’ is closed to new replies.