Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 15)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 15)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 485 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
crabbie
boredandricho..
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

674 people did, none of them an expert

Anne Thompson predicted Colman the whole season through but then people bullied her into predicting Glenn.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Marrowbone
    Topics:

Anne Thompson predicted Colman the whole season through but then people bullied her into predicting Glenn.

I don’t like her, but I don’t like bullies even more.

⭐Best Actress - Carey Mulligan

⭐Best Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung

Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

This category has been plagued by career Oscars. Allison Janney. Regina King. Laura Dern. And the next to join the reign and continue the streak is Glenn Close.

These aren’t precisely career wins considering Dern and King steamrolled the critics awards and Janney was alternative to Metcalf. All these names have support beyond the “career wins” nonsense. Completely different situation to Glenn Close

Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

Janney and King’s extensive and excellent television work was rewarded in an Oscar. Dern has been extremely involved in the Academy’s activities. I think she ran for president one time and her win rewards the Dern family who was never able to win an Oscar. Oh and she also has excellent television work and good will from sweeping for Big Little Lies.

Jeez, this is a really false and flawed argument. Under that view, almost every Oscar winner for an actor who has 3 or more noms will have a “career Oscar” like Brad Pitt, Joaquin Phoenix or Olivia Colman cause she has a long respected career in Britain.

Also, being president of the Academy can’t help you if you don’t have the heat. Just ask Tom Hanks pre 2019 or Annette Bening LOL. So that argument for “career Oscars” has no realistic sense and looks more as a weak excuse.

Let’s pretend Laura Dern is a career Oscar, so then how can you explain the point of Laura Dern actually winning critics awards including NYFCC and NSFC, or taking the 4 awards including the BAFTA. That’s not a career Oscar for her. Regardless of our opinion, her performance in “Marriage Story” had passionate and real support.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Jeez, this is a really false and flawed argument. Under that view, almost every Oscar winner for an actor who has 3 or more noms will have a “career Oscar” like Brad Pitt, Joaquin Phoenix or Olivia Colman cause she has a long respected career in Britain. Also, being president of the Academy can’t help you if you don’t have the heat. Just ask Tom Hanks pre 2019 or Annette Bening LOL. So that argument for “career Oscars” has no realistic sense and looks more as a weak excuse. Let’s pretend Laura Dern is a career Oscar, so then how can you explain the point of Laura Dern actually winning critics awards including NYFCC and NSFC, or taking the 4 awards including the BAFTA. That’s not a career Oscar for her. Regardless of our opinion, her performance in “Marriage Story” had passionate and real support.

It’s still an Oscar influenced heavily by her position in the Academy and her relations to Burce Dern. She would have been a coattail to Marriage Story if it wasn’t for those factors. It’s not exactly an awards winning performance.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

As a user here with Olivia Colman picture in the profile, I really hate when all of you talk about her beautiful success in 2019. Everybody always correlates it with Glenn Close like that particular win isn’t her at all. Why can’t you just appreciate when it’s not your typical predictable narrative-driven Oscar win? I’m really exhausted because what you do is degrading her win to a very small context without acknowledging that she deserves it. Even Glenn Close should’ve known that she stood no chance in front of Colman’s insane approach towards this complex character.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

As a user here with Olivia Colman picture in the profile, I really hate when all of you talk about her beautiful success in 2019. Everybody always correlates it with Glenn Close like that particular win isn’t her at all. Why can’t you just appreciate when it’s not your typical predictable narrative-driven Oscar win? I’m really exhausted because what you do is degrading her win to a very small context without acknowledging that she deserves it. Even Glenn Close should’ve known that she stood no chance in front of Colman’s insane approach towards this complex character.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Pinkpie48
    Topics:

i am a huge meryl streep fan i still don’t think she deserved it for the iron lady. it should’ve been for doubt

Her performance in Julie and Julia was the most Oscar worthy thing she’s put out since the 1980s. But that year also has Mulligan and Sidibe who I prefer to her.

Ideally, she and Blanchett could have switched categories in 2006, and she could have overcome Hudson to win her 3rd in supporting that year.

Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

Darlings, I can see a scenario for every one in this category winning…

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

Profile picture
    Topics:

Too bad you can’t see the greatness in Glenn’s performance.

Darling, maybe because there isn’t such thing…

Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

It’s still an Oscar influenced heavily by her position in the Academy and her relations to Burce Dern. She would have been a coattail to Marriage Story if it wasn’t for those factors. It’s not exactly an awards winning performance.

This would be true if Dern wasn’t winning critics awards. Just in case of consideration the awards Dern won:

New York Film Critics Circle
    National Society of Film Critics
    Boston
    Detroit
    Dallas
    Florida
    New York Critics Online
    Vancouver

And related for her role as no award winning performance? A flashy-turn with a big monologue? In Best Supporting Actress? Please…

Profile picture
    Topics:

This would be true if Dern wasn’t winning critics awards. Just in case of consideration the awards Dern won: New York Film Critics Circle National Society of Film Critics Boston Detroit Dallas Florida New York Critics Online Vancouver And related for her role as no award winning performance? A flashy-turn with a big monologue? In Best Supporting Actress? Please…

Darling, Shouty won because everyone likes her in the industry, gay critics loved her performance in Big Little Lies and her role in Marriage Story was a Renata Klein ripoff. Plain and simple. Also, her competition was weak as hell…

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Darling, Shouty won because everyone likes her in the industry, gay critics loved her performance in Big Little Lies and her role in Marriage Story was a Renata Klein ripoff. Plain and simple. Also, her competition was weak as hell…

HELPPP not gay critics..

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Villeneuve
    Topics:

I think people here got confused with people like Davis and Vikander winning BSA and think that a supporting winner has to be basically a lead but frauded into supporting, King, Dern and all those “career award” nonsense is pretty dumb, they were great in their films and did what a supporting player is supposed to do, and IMO back to the 2021 convo Fishback or Yug-jung should be sweeping this shit

Profile picture
    Barbra please
    Topics:

Rewatching Borat 2 today. Still can’t believe Bakalova made it to the Oscars. Back in the day when her IMDb awards page still barren, I didn’t think that the Oscars would nominated a pure comedic performance like this (a scene when she pull up her skirt to reveal her ‘hair’ still makes me laugh). Glad I’m wrong. One of the best nominated performances this year.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 485 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 15)’ is closed to new replies.