Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 15)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 15)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 485 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
crabbie
boredandricho..
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

If Close wins this will be the second Oscar from the supporting actress category to Netflix along with their other Oscar from Boseman’s win. This category will become the overdue actress category sponsored by Netflix.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Glenn Close’s nomination and what-if win should not be exempted from criticism after Laura Dern went through hell on these forums last season for her win. I don’t even agree with Dern’s win but she was called Slutty Lawyer not here forums while people just call Hillbilly Elegy a Razzie film which it is.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

To state the obvious, yes, Close deserves an Oscar. But to hand it to her, after all these years of snubbing her for great performances in good to great movies, for this atrocious excuse for a film would border on an insult. It would be a backhanded compliment at best and would certainly lack the aura of finally rewarding her for everything she’s worth.

It wouldn’t be an “insult” of any sort. Close was nominated, whether people like that or not. That’s reality. A contingent of the Academy responded positively toward her performance. She could legitimately win. Her legacy will be just fine.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Youn may still go. I know she responded to her nomination in Vancouver while en quarantine.

Be careful grandma!

Profile picture
    Naiad Lyne
    Topics:

So the producers of the ceremony have said if attendees choose not to attend they can’t dial in by zoom. So are Amanda Seyfried and Maria Bakalova going to be the only attendees from this category lmao.

Colman?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Colman?

She hardly attends these in person when she’s filming pre pandemic so I don’t see why she’d attend whilst filming during a pandemic.

Profile picture
    Pinkpie48
    Topics:

Glenn will attend. She’s probably vaccinated and lives nearby in Montana.

Anyway, as someone who loves Marriage Story and hates Hillbilly Elegy, Dern was worse than Close. Close elevated shitty writing and a hammy director to give soul to a character. Dern had a good director and good script (except specifically for her character), and yet her character was an awful caricature. If the Academy wanted to give her a career Oscar last year, they should have nominated her for Little Women instead (a legitimately good performance).

And no, I don’t think Glenn should win. Zhao Shuzhen being snubbed last year was bad enough. I would rather the Academy not pass over another great Asian actress to give a veteran a career a Oscar again.

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

It wouldn’t be an “insult” of any sort. Close was nominated, whether people like that or not. That’s reality. A contingent of the Academy responded positively toward her performance. She could legitimately win. Her legacy will be just fine.

Of course she could win – I’m personally predicting that to happen. Nor is anything going to happen to her legacy. But she really deserves better than to win a decades-overdue Oscar for this dreadful piece of garbage. If she does, it will go down in history as one of the most blatant and awkward cases of a make-up Oscar.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

For what it’s worth Netflix didn’t bother with sending physical screeners of Hillbilly Elegy to SAG voters, while A24 and Amazon sent Minari and Borat.

Profile picture
    Marrowbone
    Topics:

For what it’s worth Netflix didn’t bother with sending physical screeners of Hillbilly Elegy to SAG voters, while A24 and Amazon sent Minari and Borat.

Yesterday SN posted a link to tweet saying Amazon didn’t send screeners.

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

Let’s go, Youn Yuh-Jung!

Profile picture
    ClairesCrown
    Topics:

She hardly attends these in person when she’s filming pre pandemic so I don’t see why she’d attend whilst filming during a pandemic.

She wasn’t present for her first ever globe win in 2016 so I don’t think it’s looking likely

FYC EMMYS: THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. OLIVIA COLMAN - D. ACTRESS & HBC - D. SUPP. ACTRESS) & IT’S A SIN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. LYDIA WEST - LIM. ACTRESS & KEELEY HAWES - LIM. SUPP. ACTRESS) & I MAY DESTROY YOU IN ALL CATEGORIES

Profile picture
    Brackett89
    Topics:

Lol @ people believing that screen icon Glenn Close, who has worked with the likes of Robert Altman, George Roy Hill and Stephen Frears, who is currently a theatre master, who is considered an acting legend… could see her legacy affected by an Oscar that is going to be hated from who? Film Twitter? Some bitter pundit? The fans of another film? Please. Life and legacy are not the once-in-a-year fandom of something

Profile picture
    Nameizmann
    Topics:

People shouldn’t care about legacy. How inefficient.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 485 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 15)’ is closed to new replies.