Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 15)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 15)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 485 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
crabbie
boredandricho..
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Minari definitely has passion, but I wouldn’t rule out a Close win here. I also think that although Minari has done pretty well overall, it still couldn’t get Han or Kim in, which I think, is an issue in this particular argument. American Hustle and The Irishman definitely had a similar passion (except for De Niro), especially for runner-ups Lawrence and Pesci. I can absolutely imagine Youn as either our winner or a close (pun intended) runner-up.

Youn is either the winner or runner-up true true. I never expected Kim to get in since he’s a child but the Han miss is a blow. I wish she was in critic association nominations more. But I think Yeun making it in is really telling though since often subtle performances is overlooked and there were people who claimed he was in supporting.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I’ll say this though if Youn doesn’t win SAG I don’t see a path for her at all if she can’t win at the most populist and POC embracing SAG-AFTRA who has rewarded Davis (The Help) Elba, and Washington over the eventual Oscar winners. Not only that but they got Berry and Freeman right as well as reaffirming the wins of Hudson, Mo’Nique, Spencer, Lupita, and Davis (Fences).

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

Hun, Amazon didn’t send Bakalova either. Only YYOung and Colman studios sent physical screeners. Which is why I think Colman is probably winning her overdue SAG this year.

You really think you’re slick. lmao. Such a pathetic joke.

Profile picture
    rydemac
    Topics:

It would be a travesty to award a razzie nominated performance for best supporting actress in a widely- panned movie. She shouldn’t win for this as much as I admire her filmography. She needs to win for something people might remember and respect.

do people actually remember Judi Dench’s performance that gave her the win? Ok, it wasn’t a panned movie but it was just a simple performance. Glenn will be memorable at least to those who liked and loved the movie, and believe it or not, there are many.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

do people actually remember Judi Dench’s performance that gave her the win? Ok, it wasn’t a panned movie but it was just a simple performance. Glenn will be memorable at least to those who liked and loved the movie, and believe it or not, there are many.

Glenn Close’s win will be remembered poorly and with bitter spite as was Judi Dench’s win who is always in those underserved Oscar posts like this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/3ojb5e/who_has_the_most_undeserved_oscar_for_best/

Close’s win would be even worse since at least at that time people did like Shakespeare in Love. A lot of people hate Razziebelly Elegy. Does it matter what people on the Internet think of people’s Oscar wins? No not really but there will be a fair amount of backlash regardless.

Profile picture
    Rajesh Krishnamuti
    Topics:

Close is so winning this. The release of the trailer for Four Good Days is timed to remind voters of what she’s capable of.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Glenn Close’s win will be remembered poorly and with bitter spite as was Judi Dench’s win who is always in those underserved Oscar posts like this one. Close’s win would be even worse since at least at that time people did like Shakespeare in Love. Everyone hates Razziebelly Elegy. Does it matter what people on the Internet think of people’s Oscar wins? No not really but there will be a fair amount of backlash regardless.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/3ojb5e/who_has_the_most_undeserved_oscar_for_best/

Dench’s win was fine, and so will Close’s, if she goes the distance. Internet trolls have nothing to do with Close’s legacy. Calling “Hillbilly Elegy” childish names also won’t affect the race’s outcome.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

After the general public watches The Father when it hits VOD, Close’s hypothetical win would only be because of her overdue status. People have been saying Anthony Hopkins gives a career best performance and the fact Colman is able to compliment his acting and go toe to toe with him should resonate well in voters ballots. Can’t wait to see it.Couple Colman, Youn, and Bakalova’s Rudy scene in Borat everyone is more deserving than Close.

Profile picture
    Naiad Lyne
    Topics:

I do. She played no-nonsense old Elizabeth I in absolutely gorgeous gown with collar made out of peacock feathers.

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

This is one of the most intriguing cases of denial that I’ve seen in a while. Maria’s hit all the right notes and yet she’s considered at best in third place. Me thinks people are inserting their views about her performance into her actual chance.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The release of the trailer for Four Good Days is timed to remind voters of what she’s capable of.

Collecting her money by appearing in failed Oscar bait?

Jk Close has been Oscar worthy four times in the past and is one of the greats but if she wins it won’t be because a release of a trailer for another panned film.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    OneFourthToEGOT
    Topics:

After the general public watches The Father when it hits VOD, Close’s hypothetical win would only be because of her overdue status. People have been saying Anthony Hopkins gives a career best performance and the fact Colman is able to compliment his acting and go toe to toe with him should resonate well in voters ballots. Can’t wait to see it.Couple Colman, Youn, and Bakalova’s Rudy scene in Borat everyone is more deserving than Close.

Having actually seen The Father, I would be surprised to see any groundswell of support for Colman. She does a fine job but (to me) there’s nothing really remarkable or memorable about it that really steals the show or leaves an impact (in contrast, for example, to her performance in The Favourite). It’s Anthony Hopkins’ vehicle and my sense is that folks who have seen the film are the more vocal about Colman being a non-threat for the win.

Youn, Bakalova and Close all really do steal the shows of their respective films. Youn is bawdy and raw and surprising, Bakalova is this fresh face delivering both laughs and heart in a challenging setting, and Close is transformative, elevates the material and is often moving. These three also play quite funny, inspiring, one-of-a-kind characters (while Colman’s is more normal without any big comic moments), and I think voters especially this year will gravitate towards that.

I wish I could see actual vote totals because I’d bet this will be one of the more split counts with no nominee getting more than 30% of the vote. Right now I’d give the edge to Close, just because I’d expect Youn and Bakalova to share a lot of similar supporters which might lead to vote splitting, while Close picks up sentimentalists and more conservative voters (probably more in the broader Academy than just the actors’ branch). All three would be worthy in my estimation and regardless of what happens at SAG and BAFTA, this will still be a nailbiter.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Right now I’d give the edge to Close, just because I’d expect Youn and Bakalova to share a lot of similar supporters which might lead to vote splitting, while Close picks up sentimentalists and more conservative voters (probably more in the broader Academy than just the actors’ branch).

Oh yes. I brought this up in the last thread about how Close lost to Colman since she was only her competitor with passion for Colman, The Favourite enthusiasts, and the British Bloc. But in this category she has 2 real competitors, Youn and Bakalova who can easily split the vote for passion pick. And I’m assuming the British Bloc would rally behind Colman. While Close this time will be collecting more voters than last time for overdue narrative votes and conservative votes. I’m not sure if we are overestimating how these groups of people vote but I’m saying I won’t be surprised if Close does take SAG due to vote splitting.

Profile picture
    MultipleOscarWinner
    Topics:

It’s bizarre how I believe 4 performers would deserve the statue when most of the time I can barely find two. I’d be really OK with anyone but Seyfried winning.

Profile picture
    Rajesh Krishnamuti
    Topics:

Collecting her money by appearing in failed Oscar bait? Jk Close has been Oscar worthy four times in the past and is one of the greats but if she wins it won’t be because a release of a trailer for another panned film.

er??? ok….so if not another supposedly panned film, then what? why will she win? because she’s dying?

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 485 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 15)’ is closed to new replies.