Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 17)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 501 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
boredandricho..
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Glenn might get nominations for her Mila Kunis on drugs movie. The previews look similar to Hillbilly Elegy so that means the film will be bad but her performance could still get in.

Profile picture
    Pinkpie48
    Topics:

Glenn might get nominations for her Mila Kunis on drugs movie. The previews look similar to Hillbilly Elegy so that means the film will be bad but her performance could still get in.

In a stronger year though? It seems unlikely. She has a better chance with the sci-fi flick she’s in with Mahershala Ali, and even that’s a major longshot.

Hopefully she gets a meaty lead role next year.

Profile picture
    Kafka_Gyllenhaal
    Topics:

It took Lupita awhile to get some good roles, but eventually, it happened for her. It’ll be harder for someone like Youn since she’s Asian and 73 years old! But she’s a Korean acting legend. The expectations for her shouldn’t be the same. I’m glad she’s on her way to Oscar glory. She deserves it!

The one hope I have for cinema in the near future is a collaboration between director Bong and YJ Youn!

FYC: Minari for Everything

Profile picture
    Calvin
    Topics:

Me too. Just remember that Barkhad Abdi didn’t get many roles in Hollywood after Captain Phillips despite being a BAFTA WINNER and a ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE…

And he should’ve won the Oscar that year too, Leto’s win was not good and has only aged even more poorly with time.

FYC:

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

And he should’ve won the Oscar that year too, Leto’s win was not good and has only aged even more poorly with time.

Dallas Buyers Club should not have won any Oscars. Chiwetel was robbed too.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Dallas Buyers Club should not have won any Oscars. Chiwetel was robbed too.

The so called McConaissence evaporated after Interstellar lol

Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

It took Lupita awhile to get some good roles, but eventually, it happened for her. It’ll be harder for someone like Youn since she’s Asian and 73 years old! But she’s a Korean acting legend. The expectations for her shouldn’t be the same. I’m glad she’s on her way to Oscar glory. She deserves it!

Nyong’o had pretty steady work after 12 Years a Slave! In the five years between that and Black Panther, she was in 3 major Disney films and did a year with Eclipsed, in addition to a handful of other projects. Youn has also had incredibly steady work since the late 60s.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Is she really a legend in Korea? It’s odd. Her Wikipedia page was only created in March and her IMDb bio looks very recent too. If she is so famous there I’d have thought somebody would have put her on Wikipedia sooner. (or maybe they just don’t use it as much there.)

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Is she really a legend in Korea? It’s odd. Her Wikipedia page was only created in March and her IMDb bio looks very recent too. If she is so famous there I’d have thought somebody would have put her on Wikipedia sooner. (or maybe they just don’t use it as much there.)

Ask the people who wrote these articles:
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/youn-yuh-jung-returns-to-america-for-minari-but-this-time-as-a-movie-star
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/02/movies/yuh-jung-youn-minari.html
    https://www.screendaily.com/features/korean-star-yuh-jung-youn-on-making-her-us-debut-in-minari-im-brave-enough-to-take-a-chance/5156723.article

And there were even some interviewers who referred to her as the “Korean Meryl Streep.” And her awards count is pretty impressive. I’m not from Korea, so I can’t speak of her status, but it seems that she is highly regarded in Korean cinema.

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Nyong’o had pretty steady work after 12 Years a Slave! In the five years between that and Black Panther, she was in 3 major Disney films and did a year with Eclipsed, in addition to a handful of other projects. Youn has also had incredibly steady work since the late 60s.

Voice over work of a hated character in a disliked trilogy isn’t even worth her time. Romantic interest in the black panther is cool and all but  whats she gonna do in part 2?  Other than Us and her upcoming movie with chastain (maybe) she has not had a career so far worthy of an award winner.

Profile picture
    Calvin
    Topics:

It’s just not really as important to a lot of countries overseas. Like you look at the Wikipedia and IMDB bios to Japanese screen legends like Tatsuya Nakadai, and it’s all relatively brief in contrast to the impact he’s had on cinema there.

It’s important to acknowledge the gap in between the Western (specifically here, the American) bubble and the rest of the world sometimes when it comes to films. I’ve seen so many articles claim that Youn is a ‘breakthrough’ artist. No she isn’t in the same way as say, Paul Raci (who’s been working in very low-profile roles for a long time) is, she’s won countless awards in Korea and worked with very notable directors there as a high-profile character actress and has a super popular cooking show.

FYC:

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

Voice over work of a hated character in a disliked trilogy isn’t even worth her time. Romantic interest in the black panther is cool and all but whats she gonna do in part 2? Other than Us and her upcoming movie with chastain (maybe) she has not had a career so far worthy of an award winner.

Well yes, it’s definitely not as great as getting to watch her properly lead a great film, but it was a smart career move for her to do the Franchise.

Maybe she’ll be the lead of BP2. That could be really cool; have the team already dismissed this idea?

I’m sure everyone in Black Panther was just thrilled to be a part of it, no matter the size of their role–it might not have been a Sophie Zawistowski mammoth of a role, but it was demanding physically for Nyong’o, add the whole cast.

You’re really discounting Danai Gurira’s Ecliped which was a fantastic show with a hell of an awards run.

I don’t know what people would expect Nyong’o’s career to look like right now, but one certain thing is that she has been doing big things.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    Marrowbone
    Topics:

Here we go again. Since you believe neither Wikipedia nor IMDb, take a look at the comments under her interviews on Youtube, written by Koreans. No doubt, she is beloved and respected in her country.

⭐Best Actress - Carey Mulligan

⭐Best Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

not this again… why is it so difficult for you to accept she is in fact a legend and one of the most prominent figures on the korean screens since the 60s

Profile picture
    Barbra please
    Topics:

It’s official now that the race is between pee Grandma and Melania Trump.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 17)’ is closed to new replies.