Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 17)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 485 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
20 mins ago
( +22 hidden )
replies
views
users
boredandricho..
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    thelowlander
    Topics:

You are delusional thinking voters did not vote for Whoopi Goldberg out of racism.

I would rephrase this to (I hope you’ll understand why it makes a big difference):

You are delusional thinking *some* voters did not vote for Whoopi Goldberg out of racism.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I would rephrase this to (I hope you’ll understand why it makes a big difference): You are delusional thinking *some* voters did not vote for Whoopi Goldberg out of racism.

The optimism you have thinking the majority of Academy voters in the 80’s did not vote for Whoopi Goldberg out of racism is amusing.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thelowlander
    Topics:

The optimism you have thinking the majority of Academy voters in the 80’s did not vote for Whoopi Goldberg out of racism is amusing.

Stigmatising the whole group even if there’s a single member who was not racist would not be right. Plus, you don’t have any way to assess how big the group that was undoubtedly racist was – let alone whether it was in the majority or in the minority. We know that it existed for sure, but we definitely don’t have all the details about it.

Stigmatising a group as a whole based on a single characteristic is very close to the type of discrimination you want to expose in the first place.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

Stigmatising the whole group even if there’s a single member who was not racist would not be right. Plus, you don’t have any way to assess how big the group that was undoubtedly racist was – let alone whether it was in the majority or in the minority. We know that it existed for sure, but we definitely don’t have all the details about it. Stigmatising a group as a whole based on a single characteristic is very close to the type of discrimination you want to expose in the first place.

this is the ampas version of  “not all men

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thelowlander
    Topics:

this is the ampas version of “not all men

These are much bigger and more fundamental issues than AMPAS. Not sure what you mean by this “ampas version” thing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

These are much bigger and more fundamental issues than AMPAS. Not sure what you mean by this “ampas version” thing.

wow and this is a perfect example to how you miss the entire point I guess

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thelowlander
    Topics:

wow and this is a perfect example to how you miss the entire point I guess  

which is? spell it out to me.

I don’t see we understand each other so far.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

which is? spell it out to me. I don’t see we understand each other so far.

i understand you but you are clearly so stuck on me saying ampas you completely missed out on the “not all men” part. just because as you said there are some voters who did not vote for her doesn’t mean that majority of people didn’t vote for her because of her race. not all of them racist true but that doesn’t change the fact that the result is racist and they rewarded a white person instead of rewarding the best performance in the category. so basically you saying not all of them are racist doesn’t add to the discussion or develop it in any way.

but from your reply I also get that you don’t see a problem with the not all men phrase so I don’t intend to continue this argument any more

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thelowlander
    Topics:

i understand you but you are clearly so stuck on me saying ampas you completely missed out on the “not all men” part. just because as you said there are some voters who did not vote for her doesn’t mean that majority of people didn’t vote for her because of her race. not all of them racist true but that doesn’t change the fact that the result is racist and they rewarded a white person instead of rewarding the best performance in the category. so basically you saying not all of them are racist doesn’t add to the discussion or develop it in any way. but from your reply I also get that you don’t see a problem with the not all men phrase so I don’t intend to continue this argument any more

Maybe because you’re losing it. The outcome of the awards in the previous decades and its discriminatory nature/racist bias was never in question. What I clearly raised was the unfounded generalisation of racist attitudes to all voting members without any exception.

I don’t think you want to wake up tomorrow and hear some fundamentalist shouting that *all* Americans or *all* British are racists.

This is the important message – defend the principle if you don’t want to find yourself on the receiving end of it the next day.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

Maybe because you’re losing it. The outcome of the awards in the previous decades and its discriminatory nature/racist bias was never in question. What I clearly raised was the unfounded generalisation of racist attitudes to all voting members without any exception. I don’t think you want to wake up tomorrow and hear some fundamentalist shouting that *all* Americans or *all* British are racists. This is the important message – defend the principle if you don’t want to find yourself on the receiving end of it the next day.

oh now I got mansplained too. this is getting better

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thelowlander
    Topics:

receiving end

don’t find excuses with this one 😉

pay attention to the rest.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

don’t find excuses with this one 😉 pay attention to the rest.

okay not all men person

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

What the hell did I just walk in on?

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thelowlander
    Topics:

okay not all men person

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on both racism and sexism 🙂

I’ll call it a day at this point.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thelowlander
    Topics:

so basically you saying not all of them are racist doesn’t add to the discussion or develop it in any way

one last question – so, you’re saying that opposing the statement that *all* of them are racists when we know that this is not true is not relevant to the development of this *discussion*?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 485 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.