Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 17)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 485 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 hour ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
boredandricho..
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Pinkpie48
    Topics:

Glenn is barely campaigning anymore and praised Youn to the heavens yesterday. She’s done.

Youn will win. If there is an upset, Bakalova or Colman will win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Beastialg
    Topics:

Predictions after SAG

1) Youn
    2) Bakalova
    ———
    3) Close
    ———
    4) Colman
    5) Seyfried

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DrewN92
    Topics:

Given that only Youn or Bakalova from the Oscar nominees can win BAFTA, I don’t see anyone else in the Oscar lineup winning over them unless BAFTA goes a different route by awarding someone like Fishback which I won’t be predicting.

I think this should be Youn’s easily, especially after her heart-warming acceptance speech and it makes the most sense as the place to award Minari. My only concern is the international blocs don’t seem to love Minari as much as American industry, but I still think she should be fine. I think Bakalova needed SAG given that her role is not your typical Oscar-winning role and her movie is not a BP contender.

1. Youn (SAG)
    2. Bakalova (CC)

3. Colman (AACTA)

4. Seyfried (BP nominee)
    5. Close

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Smisek
    Topics:

Whoever takes BAFTA – that’s who I’m predicting for the Oscar. This is definitely a two-way race at this point and I could see either Bakalova or Youn taking it. It’s a nailbiter.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I feel like it’s a clear top 3 of Bakalova, Colman and Youn. At the moment I’m going with Youn in first and Colman in second because they are both in Best Picture nominees.

Seyfried and Close are dead.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thelowlander
    Topics:

Other than the Bakalova fans, I think everyone else is rooting for Youn which is amazing to see.

Well, I still root for my *grandma*, though I will be perfectly fine with her possible (and maybe very probable at this point) loss. To be honest, I think I started rooting for the other *grandma* a bit too, as I fear that her possible loss may upset really a lot of people (like a fellow poster mentioned in pretty much the same way as a football fan would get upset with their team losing).

Btw – can anyone recommend some good movie with Youn besides Minari.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Everytime Im ready to pronounce Maria dead she comes back and wins something else. Im not counting her out till te envelope is read

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Bakalova is still in the (potential) upset position. She would probably have to win BAFTA though, unless neither she nor Youn wins there. As a fan of Bakalova’s performance I’m glad she lost SAG in a way because she makes more sense as a last minute, 90s-style surprise winner. Having her as an established frontrunner wouldn’t feel quite right.

Of course Youn could simply win BAFTA despite being mostly ignored there outside of juried categories. The nominations for director and supporting actor should draw increased attention to Minari and by extension Youn’s performance, although I doubt voters will be directly influenced by SAG as those awards get very little fanfare in the UK.

I don’t agree with the arguments that Colman is in 2nd. Where’s the motivation to vote for her this year when she’s won lead Actress so recently and plays the most ordinary character of the five nominees? If anything her performance appeals the most to those who would vote for Youn in this race, though this is a generalisation. I’m not even convinced Colman would win BAFTA if she were nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Faux architect
    Topics:

Watch out for Youn or Bakalova not winning BAFTA. That’s the only scenario I can see where someone other than them wins the Oscar.

Pantheon of acting: Uta / Elizabeth / Richard / Sandy (Virginia Woolf), Bibi / Liv (Persona), Sandrine (La Ceremonie), Brie (Short Term 12), Jodie (Silence of the Lambs), Jodie (Killing Eve), Nicole (The Others), Eva (Penny Dreadful), Timothée (CMBYN), Lupita (Us)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thelowlander
    Topics:

Bakalova is still in the (potential) upset position. She would probably have to win BAFTA though, unless neither she nor Youn wins there. As a fan of Bakalova’s performance I’m glad she lost SAG in a way because she makes more sense as a last minute, 90s-style surprise winner. Having her as an established frontrunner wouldn’t feel quite right.

I’d like to see this “plot-twist-like” photo-finish finale for any of the presumed underdogs (even for Youn if she misses the BAFTA). The victory should be hard-fought with suspense all the way till the end 😉

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Alan Kim is going to be on the Jimmy Fallon show this Friday. He’s going to continue to be adorable and rave about Youn’s SAG win and his own BAFTA nomination in supporting actor. Probably won’t affect Youn’s chances at BAFTA but the viral videos from this interview will make an impression on Oscar voters.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Of course Youn could simply win BAFTA despite being mostly ignored there outside of juried categories. The nominations for director and supporting actor should draw increased attention to Minari and by extension Youn’s performance, although I doubt voters will be directly influenced by SAG as those awards get very little fanfare in the UK.

I don’t agree with the arguments that Colman is in 2nd. Where’s the motivation to vote for her this year when she’s won lead Actress so recently and plays the most ordinary character of the five nominees? If anything her performance appeals the most to those who would vote for Youn in this race, though this is a generalisation. I’m not even convinced Colman would win BAFTA if she were nominated.

Your arguments for the Borat starlet upsetting can be used in favor of Close doing the same. And Close winning would be the ultimate 90s surprise.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

Other than the Bakalova fans, I think everyone else is rooting for Youn which is amazing to see.

Interesting. I don’t think I’ve seen any “toxic Bakalova fans” on this board. Not sure where that narrative is coming from… I’d be thrilled with either of them winning. I’ve seen 34 new releases this year and I firmly believe they got the two frontrunners “correct” in this category.

Shoutout to Kosar Ali and Molly Parker who I also think deliver the standout supporting performances of the year.

watch I May Destroy You

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

We love a humble Queen!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thelowlander
    Topics:

Not sure if it’s just me, but I have the gut feeling Kosar Ali is winning BAFTA.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 485 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.