Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 17)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 501 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
boredandricho..
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Youn (obvious frontrunner)
    Close (because her narrative is living rent-free is everyone’s minds)
    Bakalova (has passion too)
    Colman (probably not. no wins and a 2nd Oscar? could happen by way of splintered field)
    Seyfried (not happening unless there’s a Mank upsurge)

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Glenn is barely campaigning anymore and praised Youn to the heavens yesterday. She’s done.

Youn will win. If there is an upset, Bakalova or Colman will win.

Nothing is “done” until the envelope is opened.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

I watched The Father yesterday and I wouldn’t be mad at all if Olivia Colman won. She’s yet again fantastic. I don’t get how one could not love her.

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    NINE DAYS in all categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Winston Duke)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Zazie Beetz)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Benedict Wong)

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

No, Close is indeed done.

Profile picture
    thelowlander
    Topics:

No, Close is indeed done.

How can you know that. So, Ms Youn won SAG fair and square, all kudos for which. But let’s imagine, just for a second, just hypothetically that she won like 31.2% of the votes and Ms Close won 30.9% of the votes. If you *knew* this what would you think their chances at winning the Oscar would be?

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

How can you know that. So, Ms Youn won SAG fair and square, all kudos for which. But let’s imagine, just for a second, just hypothetically that she won like 31.2% of the votes and Ms Close won 30.9% of the votes. If you *knew* this what would you think their chances at winning the Oscar would be?

Because I know. The obvious is there. Close has yet to win any notable awards for this role, has not won any critics award, her movie is critically panned and her role is nominated for a Razzie. Even when she loses the Oscar, y’all will still think she has a chance. That ship done sailed.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What we learnt from Gillian Anderson and Viola Davis winning is that SAG loves their stars and veterans in showy transformative performances.

Glenn Close is a veteran and a star in a transformative performance. Why didn’t she win? Youn’s win is a strong testament to her passion. Whilst I won’t go as far as calling her a lock yet, I think it’s clear she’s certainly ahead of Glenn Close and Amanda Seyfried.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

As much as I want SAG to have given the final word on this because I adore Youn and she is the undisputed best, it is not the final word in a category perpetually in flux and you guys take way too much pleasure saying “Close is done.”

How many times in the SIXTEEN threads about Best Supporting Actress has that been said? A crazy number of times! Lol still living rent-free in everyone’s minds and she probably doesn’t care one bit.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

How many times in the SIXTEEN threads about Best Supporting Actress has that been said? A crazy number of times! Lol still living rent-free in everyone’s minds and she probably doesn’t care one bit.

Lol. Okay. See you on Oscar night!

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Wait, are people still making a case for Close? After she lost SAG? Judging by her adorable reaction, I won’t be surprised if even she ends up voting for Youn lol

Profile picture
    Jasmine is French
    Topics:

Im a Glenn Close fan rooting for Youn. This opens for more nominations for Glenn Close in the near future
    #10oscarnomsforGlennClose

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

you guys will realise when amanda seyfried wins this and leaves you all in utter shock

Profile picture
    thelowlander
    Topics:

Because I know. The obvious is there. Close has yet to win any notable awards for this role, has not won any critics award, her movie is critically panned and her role is nominated for a Razzie. Even when she loses the Oscar, y’all will still think she has a chance. That ship done sailed.

ok, fair enough. I see your arguments and they make perfect sense. But as I said, if you *knew* that the actual result was like 31.2% vs 30.9% what would you say?

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

ok, fair enough. I see your arguments and they make perfect sense. But as I said, if you *knew* that the actual result was like 31.2% vs 30.9% what would you say?

I would still say that Close is the loser in this race. A win is a win. Youn’s win would only benefit her, not Close.

Profile picture
    Hayden
    Topics:

Does anyone remember that weird week pre-Mank where Seyfried was the frontrunner.

I think this is truly as close to a 5-way race we’ve seen in recent years. I could even see something bizarre happen like Close picking up the Oscar and the Razzie.

I’m cooling off my prediction Bakalova will win. I think voters might treat her nomination as a win enough. I’m not sold on Youn winning just yet. I’m cool with it, just not sold (It would make for quite the moment though). I think calling anyone a lock here is very silly.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 17)’ is closed to new replies.