Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 17)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 501 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
boredandricho..
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

Glenn could’ve gotten away with a win if YJ wasn’t nominated in the same category. The narrative of her not having an Oscar pales in comparison to an Black and Asian acting winners lineup.

Profile picture
    Brackett89
    Topics:

Glenn’s stans (like me): she is over for this particular race. Nothing is set in stone, but the times in which actors like Page could prevail at the last time are done. Now, with the precursors system, it’s easy to predict wins and even major upstets – like Colman’s, which was totally not an upset for me.

What Glenn Close needs now is a good film role, which I’m sure will arrive: she is building her status as a major, mature movie star over 70 alongside Streep. Sunset Blvd.? Who knows.

I am very happy for Youn Yuh-jung!

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

No Asian actress has ever won a BAFTA

Actually, Rohini Hattangadi won for Gandhi. She is also the only Indian actor to ever have won the BAFTA.

It’s still shameful though – only one Asian actress in all these years.

Profile picture
    thelowlander
    Topics:

Glenn’s stans (like me): she is over for this particular race. Nothing is set in stone, but the times in which actors like Page could prevail at the last time are done. 

let’s put it this way: almost over with small theoretical chances of a win 😉

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Actually, Rohini Hattangadi won for Gandhi. She is also the only Indian actor to ever have won the BAFTA. It’s still shameful though – only one Asian actress in all these years.

Thanks for informing me! I looked up BAFTA Asian actor winner and got no results before making that post.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

I am sorry but Glenn Close is not winning. The writing is on the wall, and the SAG loss, followed after the Globe loss, and the Critics Choice loss cement this.

The thing is, even when Youn was not rewarded, the precursors actively avoided Close and went for Foster and Bakalova.

You cannot win solely based on an overdue narrative, especially when you’re up against a stronger narrative of the SAG winner in a Best Picture nominee.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I think the Academy wants to reward Close in a lead actress category for her overdue narrative. I noticed women who are “overdue” tend to be rewarded in the actress category more than men. You have Julianne Moore who won in actress and Geraldine Page who won on her 8th nomination in the Actress category but most notably the Academy purposely switching Winslet from supporting to leading for The Reader virtually for no reason other than to reward Winslet in a leading category. I suppose Revolutionary Road could have been it but the former film is a more “prestigious” role.

Contrast this with men who get their dues in the supporting categories like Plummer, Arkin, and Freeman.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Glenn Close has Swan Song coming up — maybe that’ll be a stronger bid in the category for next season?

Sunset Blvd is not happening. And even if it did happen it won’t be her Judy.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I think you’re looking into it too much. It’s more likely that members of the acting branch just didn’t buy Winslet as a supporting actress in The Reader. Perhaps it wasn’t so much a case of rejecting the FYC campaign as simply ignoring it. Winslet had top billing and was the main focus of her film both in its marketing and in the conversation around it. Voters probably didn’t think twice about checking her off in lead. (That Lakeith Stanfield was nominated in supporting this year despite a lead campaign illustrates to me that voters do not deliberately pay heed to the studio designations; those who voted for Stanfield in supporting likely voted Kaluuya in lead because of the latter’s prominence in advertising for Judas and because of the billing order.)

Well in that case the Academy views Winslet as a leading lady in top billing and would rather give her an Oscar in a leading role than a supporting role that The Reader’s FYC ads promoted her in.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Like I said before. SAG went for veterans like Gillian Anderson and Viola Davis in big transformational performances over a lead Emmy frontrunner (and one of the most acclaimed TV performances of the year) and the then Oscar frontrunner. Why didn’t Close win as well?

SAG was a testament to Yuh-jung Youn’s strength. The only way I see her facing the possibility of losing is if she loses the BAFTA but even then, it’s not as if Mahershala Ali needed to win the BAFTA to win the Oscar. He only took SAG just like Youn did.

Profile picture
    Brackett89
    Topics:

Glenn Close has Swan Song coming up — maybe that’ll be a stronger bid in the category for next season? Sunset Blvd is not happening. And even if it did happen it won’t be her Judy.

Don’t know. It’s a sci-fi project and the role seems too small.

Profile picture
    asianmoviegeek
    Topics:

The backlash would be huge for BAFTA if they don’t give it to Queen Youn Yuh-jung. This is the perfect time to award an Asian actor after being racist for decades.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 17)’ is closed to new replies.