Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 17)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 501 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
boredandricho..
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Glenn’s stans (like me): she is over for this particular race. Nothing is set in stone, but the times in which actors like Page could prevail at the last time are done. Now, with the precursors system, it’s easy to predict wins and even major upstets – like Colman’s, which was totally not an upset for me.

What Glenn Close needs now is a good film role, which I’m sure will arrive: she is building her status as a major, mature movie star over 70 alongside Streep. Sunset Blvd.? Who knows.

I am very happy for Youn Yuh-jung!

Precedent is precedent. That’s the point I was making. It can theoretically happen again.

Profile picture
    Brackett89
    Topics:

Precedent is precedent. That’s the point I was making. It can theoretically happen again.

Of course but it’s harder. Times are changed since then. SAGS emerged as an important precursors, BAFTA do anticipate Oscars, etc. That’s why we rely so much on them. I’d love for Glenn to win, but at this time of her legacy and career she doesn’t seem really interested at all. She’s a living legend, much more than half of the actual winners. Tell me someone that can reach a nod with a film trashed like H.E.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Of course but it’s harder. Times are changed since then. SAGS emerged as an important precursors, BAFTA do anticipate Oscars, etc. That’s why we rely so much on them. I’d love for Glenn to win, but at this time of her legacy and career she doesn’t seem really interested at all. She’s a living legend, much more than half of the actual winners. Tell me someone that can reach a nod with a film trashed like H.E.

I know that the precedent is an old one. I don’t need to be lectured that times have changed. The possibility is still there regardless.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I feel like what helps Youn at BAFTA is the possibility that they don’t go for Bakalova because that humor just doesn’t play well to them. Borat didn’t get the Screenplay nod in a non-juried category, who knows if she would’ve gotten in under the old system. Youn at least could make it in considering they nominated it in Score. So yeah, I’m feeling good about Youn right now and she’s in the Best Picture nominee

FYC
    Everything Everywhere All at Once for everything, everywhere, all at once

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I feel like what helps Youn at BAFTA is the possibility that they don’t go for Bakalova because that humor just doesn’t play well to them. Borat didn’t get the Screenplay nod in a non-juried category, who knows if she would’ve gotten in under the old system. Youn at least could make it in considering they nominated it in Score. So yeah, I’m feeling good about Youn right now and she’s in the Best Picture nominee

Minari did not even get long-listed for Best Film at BAFTA.

Also whilst I am starting to become sceptical about Bakalova winning at BAFTA, I disagree with the assessment that it’s because the humour won’t play well with BAFTA members. Sacha Baron Cohen’s humour and more specifically the character of Borat originated from British television. It’s very much British in its humour like how Succession (which is arguably more of a hit over here than it is in America) contains the same types of British sensibilities that hit sitcoms over here like Peep Show and The Thick of It have.

If Bakalova loses (which is an idea I don’t disagree with) it will be because there wasn’t much support for her film overall or because Yuh-jung Youn or Kosar Ali were quite strong.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Minari did not even get long-listed for Best Film at BAFTA. Also whilst I am starting to become sceptical about Bakalova winning at BAFTA, I disagree with the assessment that it’s because the humour won’t play well with BAFTA members. Sacha Baron Cohen’s humour and more specifically the character of Borat originated from British television. It’s very much British in its humour like how Succession (which is arguably more of a hit over here than it is in America) contains the same types of British sensibilities that hit sitcoms over here like Peep Show and The Thick of It have. If Bakalova loses (which is an idea I don’t disagree with) it will be because there wasn’t much support for her film overall or because Yuh-jung Youn or Kosar Ali were quite strong.

Ah fuck, you’re right. I’m dumb

FYC
    Everything Everywhere All at Once for everything, everywhere, all at once

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

Have you seen Olivia Colman’s new project ? omg https://www.thewrap.com/olivia-colman-to-star-in-sam-mendes-next-film-empire-of-light-for-searchlight/

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Have you seen Olivia Colman’s new project ? omg https://www.thewrap.com/olivia-colman-to-star-in-sam-mendes-next-film-empire-of-light-for-searchlight/

She’s coming for the 2nd Oscar soon. It’s imminent. Whether it’s 2022 or 2023, it’s soon.

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

She’s coming for the 2nd Oscar soon. It’s imminent. Whether it’s 2022 or 2023, it’s soon.

honestly her power is unmatched. trying so hard to not to be worked up cos things can go wrong but honestly can’t wait. booked and busy

Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

Glenn’s stans (like me): she is over for this particular race. Nothing is set in stone, but the times in which actors like Page could prevail at the last time are done. Now, with the precursors system, it’s easy to predict wins and even major upstets – like Colman’s, which was totally not an upset for me. What Glenn Close needs now is a good film role, which I’m sure will arrive: she is building her status as a major, mature movie star over 70 alongside Streep. Sunset Blvd.? Who knows. I am very happy for Youn Yuh-jung!

This part! Glenn’s 8th nomination is not the same as Geraldine’s 8th nomination and it’s intellectually dishonest to say they are comparable.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Youn winning reminds me of Brenda Fricker’s win for My Left Foot – a wonderful performance by an actress who isn’t well known at all in the U.S.(Irish in Fricker’s case), up against better established actresses and one up and coming starlet (Anjelica Huston, Lena Olin and Dianne Wiest, with Julia Roberts the up and comer; Glenn Close, Olivia Colman and Amanda Seyfried with Maria Bakalova as the up and comer). Fricker didn’t get much work afterwards and Youn won’t get too many opportunities (most likely), but they give outstanding award worthy performances in their respective films. I really think Youn is perfectly positioned for the win this year and I will be thrilled when it happens!

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Youn’s Oscar for Minari perfectly encapsulates the evolving trend of international cinema being recognized by the Academy in a higher esteem in the past few years. In 2018 you have Roma which was so close to winning Best Picture and won the BAFTA. In 2019 you have Parasite that did win Best Picture but whose cast could not get nominated at the Oscars despite winning SAG ensemble. Then this year you have Minari (which is not a foreign film but has actors that speak in Korean) laying the path for a Korean foreign language performance to win the Oscar since 2008.

Youn’s win would be the voice of the tragic losses of Vopli Cup/BAFTA winner Emmanuelle Riva, Golden Globe winner Isabelle Huppert, Cannes Best Actor winner Antontio Banderas, Golden Globe winner Awkwafina, and SAG winners of the Parasite cast that could not translate to an Oscar win.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    thelowlander
    Topics:

Youn’s Oscar for Minari perfectly encapsulates the evolving trend of international cinema being recognized by the Academy in a higher esteem in the past few years. In 2018 you have Roma which was so close to winning Best Picture and won the BAFTA. In 2019 you have Parasite that did win Best Picture but whose cast could not get nominated at the Oscars despite winning SAG ensemble. Then this year you have Minari (which is not a foreign film but has actors that speak in Korean) laying the path for a Korean foreign language performance to win the Oscar since 2008. Youn’s win would be the voice of the tragic losses of Vopli Cup/BAFTA winner Emmanuelle Riva, Golden Globe winner Isabelle Huppert, Cannes Best Actor winner Antontio Banderas, Golden Globe winner Awkwafina, and SAG winners of the Parasite cast that could not translate to an Oscar win.

not sure how you saw all these things, what I can see myself is that this will be simply a much deserved recognition for an ingenious actor for one really superb performance 😉

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

not sure how you saw all these things, what I can see myself is that this will be simply a much deserved recognition for an ingenious actor for one really superb performance 😉

Obviously but her win here will be refreshing after the 2010’s decade basically went with no Oscars for foreign language performances.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 17)’ is closed to new replies.