Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 456 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
estrelas
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

You guys are underestimating the potential WOC nominees in this category. Saoirse Ronan is not happening. Borat girl is not happening.

Which ones are there though? So far, the only contenders with any shot at a nomination in this category are all white.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    thomasrigours
    Topics:

Which ones are there though? So far, the only contenders with any shot at a nomination in this category are all white.

+ there wasn’t any POC nominated in this category last year, so it can happen again this year..

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

+ there wasn’t any POC nominated in this category last year, so it can happen again this year..

And I honestly don’t think anyone will care since all other acting categories are expected to be diverse. And each one has at least one competitive POC

Plus let’s not forget that half of the Supp Actress of the last 10 years were black women. That’s why I don’t expect any particular backlash in this category

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supp Actor - Daniel Kaluuya, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I think Youn Yhu-jung has a decent chance for Minari. Her performance has been widely acclaimed and, if A24 and the film are successful enough, I could see Minari getting 4 or 5 noms, her being one of them.

Profile picture
    Someonelikeme
    Topics:

I never believed even one second she could win anything over Dern, not even the Globe like many were predicting. You just cannot erase decades of critically panned ventures with a role that is nowhere near Oscar bait in a movie that the Academy wasn’t likely to embrace

I didn’t predict her for the Oscar nom until she got in at SAG. But I wasn’t surprised when she was ultimately left out

At least she won LAFCA and the Satellite, good for her !

At least some of the awards had taste last year..

Profile picture
    justonemorething
    Topics:

I see Glenn potentially losing again. I don’t see the Academy in a mood to just finally hand her one. Thoughts?

Profile picture
    AndMore
    Topics:

I think Youn Yhu-jung has a decent chance for Minari. Her performance has been widely acclaimed and, if A24 and the film are successful enough, I could see Minari getting 4 or 5 noms, her being one of them.

I want this, but after how A24 completely dropped the ball with The Farewell, I’m hesitant! Zhao Shuzhen should have been an easy get for them.

It still hurts that my favorite film from last year was completely left out of Oscar nominations :/

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

At least some of the awards had taste last year..

Not these two, that’s for sure

The winner should have been one of the Parasite ladies anyway, especially Cho Yeo-jeong. It doesn’t even make sense that this movie went that far with no acting nom anywhere

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supp Actor - Daniel Kaluuya, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

Cho Yeo-jeong’s masterful turn in Parasite buries any single performance from Dern’s entire filmography. That she didn’t even get nominated, let alone win, was a travesty.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Minari

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

The thing is people said the same thing about Shuzhen Zhao last year and it didn’t happen. Unless Minari ends up being a huge contender, I’m not expecting Yui-Jung to have much of an impact.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

The thing is people said the same thing about Shuzhen Zhao last year and it didn’t happen. Unless Minari ends up being a huge contender, I’m not expecting Yui-Jung to have much of an impact.

the casual racism of this post like all movies featuring asian actors are the same. Bruh you are an embarrassment.

Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

the casual racism of this post like all movies featuring asian actors are the same. Bruh you are an embarrassment.

I don’t believe the poster was being racist. US society at large has a very dismissive and can’t tell the difference between people mentality when it comes to Asians. So award bodies who are reluctant to anoint Asian award season wonders in the acting categories repeat these patterns continuously.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I want this, but after how A24 completely dropped the ball with The Farewell, I’m hesitant! Zhao Shuzhen should have been an easy get for them. It still hurts that my favorite film from last year was completely left out of Oscar nominations :/

I agree, but I think there’s a good chance still that Minari is a bigger player than The Farewell. A24 has less on its slate this year, I think – the only other thing they could really push is Murray in Supporting, whereas last year Gems, Lighthouse and Farewell may have stretched them too thin. I have Yui-jung around 6th right now, but I think it’s pretty realistic she gains more traction than one or two of Zengel, Ronan, Burstyn, Bakalova, etc. and gets in there.

Profile picture
    JakeT
    Topics:

There’s no historical comparison, IMO. Please come at me with examples, I’d love to hear them, but Glenn cannot lose this. There’s no way. If she does, I’ll truly despair. Several of her performances have been win-worthy and the likelihood is she will win for an incredible performance in a sub-par movie. I am absolutely ok with this for one reason: Glenn needs her fucking Oscar. Just give it to her already!

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

Watch Glenn lose to the actress in a filmed broadway show.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 456 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.