Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 456 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
estrelas
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

Colman for the win, please.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Minari

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

We don’t even know the context of this ‘good terminator, bad terminator’ line, but it sounds like just some quirky metaphor used by Glenn Close’s character. Did she say it in real life? Is it in the book? I don’t know, but I’m loathe to consider it as evidence of the supposed crappiness of Hillbilly Elegy – not yet, anyway.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

We don’t even know the context of this ‘good terminator, bad terminator’ line, but it sounds like just some quirky metaphor used by Glenn Close’s character. Did she say it in real life? Is it in the book? I don’t know, but I’m loathe to consider it as evidence of the supposed crappiness of Hillbilly Elegy – not yet, anyway.

I’m not sure there is a good context for that line, and the murmurs around Elegy seem poor, but I agree with the implication that Close is still the front runner here. Her narrative is so strong that the film would have to be appalling for her to stand no chance at a win. Even if it’s bad, which I am expecting despite saying she’s the front runner, I think people will just go with her anyway because of the overdue sentiment.

I do fancy Seyfried to surprise and become a front-runner though, nothing concrete informing that, but it strikes me as a possible critics’ favourite and a scene-stealing role in a film for which all the signs are far more positive than Elegy.

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

I could absolutely see them giving it to Seyfried if her performance gets enough raves and HE gets savaged by critics.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Minari

Profile picture
    Hayden
    Topics:

My predictions for this category completely flipped over the past month. Now I’m going with—

1. Seyfried (Mank)
    2. Colman (The Father)
    3. Close (Hillbilly Elegy)
    4. Bakalova (Borat 2)
    5. Ellen Burstyn (Pieces of A Woman)

With Youn Yhu-Jung in 6th.

Profile picture
    Miss
    Topics:

In the trailer, they are watching Terminator when Glenn uses the film as a teaching lesson to J.D.

Harmless Granny stuff..

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Critics are actually extremely open minded. They don’t care about the genre of your movie. If your performance is THAT good, they’ll vote for you.

Doesn’t even have to be that good in some cases

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supp Actor - Daniel Kaluuya, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Its just a crappy quote. Good, bad or neutral? How is that supposed to be any kind of wisdom?

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Its just a crappy quote. Good, bad or neutral? How is that supposed to be any kind of wisdom?

Is it even meant to be that wise? I got the impression it was supposed to be sort of cute.

Anyway, I’m not defending the movie as I have no idea whether it’ll be any good. I was annoyed by how lazily the trailer just tacked a load of Oscar-bait clips together instead of properly showcasing what the core of the movie was about or what it had to say. I didn’t give much thought to the terminator line but I’ll concede it was a bad idea to put it in the trailer.

Profile picture
    Jazzy
    Topics:

Is there any legitimate indication that Colman is supporting? It seems like the film is a 2-people show. It’s called The Father, not The Man.

Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

Is there any legitimate indication that Colman is supporting? It seems like the film is a 2-people show. It’s called The Father, not The Man.

I’d say my having seen the film is “legitimate indication,” but Colman is definitely supporting. This is first and foremost Hopkins’ film, and while she does have some scenes without him, the purpose of those scenes is to drive his story forward. Frankly, given the competition this year, it wouldn’t even make sense for Sony Pictures Classics to try and push her lead, but her placement in supporting is not fraud at all.

Profile picture
    Arular26
    Topics:

Bakalova campaign already started lmao

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1320863276754821120

honestly she deserves imo

Profile picture
    Jasmine is French
    Topics:

Olivia Cooke in Sound of Metal can sneak in as well. Ahmed and the movie is getting a lot of buzz. The critics are mentioning Cooke as well:
    “Cooke might have a fraction of Ahmed’s screen time, but her character is crucial to the message of the whole” by James Mobarak

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Olivia Cooke in Sound of Metal can sneak in as well. Ahmed and the movie is getting a lot of buzz. The critics are mentioning Cooke as well: “Cooke might have a fraction of Ahmed’s screen time, but her character is crucial to the message of the whole” by James Mobarak

I would agree except she’s being campaigned in Lead by Amazon.

It’s so funny how people are now taking the film seriously awards wise. I remember telling people to watch out for it and some called me “delusional”.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Damucracia
    Topics:

I do fancy Seyfried to surprise and become a front-runner though, nothing concrete informing that, but it strikes me as a possible critics’ favourite and a scene-stealing role in a film for which all the signs are far more positive than Elegy.

I can see the globes giving it to her

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 456 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.