Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 445 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
estrelas
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    Damucracia
    Topics:

If the Globes give the award to Colman, I’m afraid it’s game over for Close.

SAG never honored Colman individually and BAFTA probably will again.

And Hillbilly Elegy doesn’t seems to be a critics darling… right?

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

And Hillbilly Elegy doesn’t seems to be a critics darling… right?

Certainly not. But even with mediocre reviews Close is still the frontrunner. Only with a rotten score on RT and a score in the 40’s on Metacritic would Close really be vulnerable.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-Jung
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    Damucracia
    Topics:

Certainly not. But even with mediocre reviews Close is still the frontrunner. Only with a rotten score on RT and a score in the 40’s on Metacritic would Close really be vulnerable.

Right, so I’m imagining

GG: Colman or Seyfried

CC: Colman

SAG: Colman (Close if Hollywood really feels the narrative on their shoulders)

BAFTA: Colman

Oscar: Colman

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Close
    2. Colman
    3. Seyfried
    4. Burstyn
    5. Collins

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

If Glenn is nominated at the GG she’s not going to lose. I highly doubt that would ever happen. They literally stopped Gaga train to give Glenn the win for a movie that had no buzz and an extremely subtle performance. This is her most transformative role and it’s nothing like she has ever done. If the movie is a bomb, award bodies will either snub her entirely or will give the middle finger to critics and award her anyway.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

They were not fans of ASIB tho… I’m not sure if it was just “to stop Gaga’s train”. The Globes might very well give it to Colman or Seyfried.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I agree that Seyfried could (somehow) upset but I don’t see Colman winning. At least, not at the GG.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I agree that Seyfried could (somehow) upset but I don’t see Colman winning. At least, not at the GG.

I think Seyfried is more likely than Colman as well, based on her presence in the trailers and the early reactions she is getting.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-Jung
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Colman is almost acclaimed as much as Hopkins and they love. She is totally possible, imo. They don’t owe Close anything.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Colman is almost acclaimed as much as Hopkins and they love. She is totally possible, imo. They don’t owe Close anything.

I’m sorry but Colman is definitely not as acclaimed as Hopkins. Please. And I never said HFPA owed anything to Glenn.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Colman is almost acclaimed as much as Hopkins and they love. She is totally possible, imo.

I agree a Colman upset is possible at the Globes and the love for her there shouldn’t be ignored (3 for 3) but to say her performance is as acclaimed as Hopkins is absolutely ridiculous. Hopkins’ performance is being called one of his career best and one of the best leading performances on screen ever. No one is saying that about Colman’s performance.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, Shiva Baby, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall, Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, Winston Duke/James McAvoy
    Actress: Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant, Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby

Profile picture
    Thiago
    Topics:

They don’t owe Close anything.

Got to agree with this one. I understand the whole Close is imune at the Oscar even if the HE bombs, which considering that trailer seems very likely, but it doesn’t aply anywhere else, since she has 3 Globes and
    2 SAGs.

Close may very well win the Oscar for a terrible movie because of the narrative, but this belief that she will win the precursors and become undeniable doesn’t work if HE bombs.

Profile picture
    Aint2Proud2Beg
    Topics:

What are you smoking??

Colman as acclaimed as Hannibal Lecter?

The academy doesn’t owe Close anything?

Walk out that high sis.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Just fucking give it to Glenn. These things are always an ego boost. Many of us want her having this moment. We live in a world where flavor of the month actresses have a leading role Oscar. This is an official tantrum lol Every fucking body throws a tantrum over here for their faves. We already had the nice surprise of Colman winning. Let’s not have Colman swank Close.
    And if I hear “it should be about the performance” I invite you to get a clue of how awards really work. Just look at who won the acting races this year (EVERYONE)

Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

Got to agree with this one. I understand the whole Close is imune at the Oscar even if the HE bombs, which considering that trailer seems very likely, but it doesn’t aply anywhere else, since she has 3 Globes and 2 SAGs. Close may very well win the Oscar for a terrible movie because of the narrative, but this belief that she will win the precursors and become undeniable doesn’t work if HE bombs.

I agree with you. It will be fascinating to see if the Globes award Close again as she already has 3 Globes. If they don’t and SAG go in a different direction as well, then when will her momentum start? It doesn’t seem like a movie that BAFTA would go for? But then again Laura Dern had still won a truck load of Globes and managed to still win for Marriage Story (albeit that film was probably stronger than HE will be) so maybe Close does win there again.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 445 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.