Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 445 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
estrelas
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    TheDreamingHead
    Topics:

This same logic “HFPA don’t owe you anything” should apply to Colman too since she’s already gone 3 for 3! If anything, Amanda or some newbie should benefit from this the most.

Profile picture
    Manuelcolon
    Topics:

Glenn’s Globes and SAG all came from TV up until The Wife, it’s different.

Zellweger was a three times Globe and SAG winner already before winning this year, and she won SAG leading and supporting one next to the other for Chicago and Cold Mountain, Glenn can do it.

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

Good Terminator or Bad Terminator?

How About Oscar-Winning Terminator.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC:
    Succession
    The Great
    Nine Days
    Mass

Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    xandyeugh
    Topics:

Can anyone please stop with this Colman delusion? She won for The Favourite and that’s it. Let’s wait for another 5 fucking years. Relax. The Father isn’t Manchester By The Sea. Seyfried is the threat to Close not Colman. My god some of you guys act as if you all are new to awards season.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

It seems like some of you can’t read. I said almost as acclaimed. I’ve seen many tweets from critics regarding The Father and mostly all were praising Colman in them in addition to Hopkins. Of course he remains the central point and most acclaimed part of the movie but most of critics paid attention to not forgetting to mention her in them, with many saying she was also win worthy. And I was obviously talking about the globes specifically.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It seems like some of you can’t read. I said almost as acclaimed.

And still I think this is wishful thinking. I love Olivia Colman’s acting but to say that her performance is almost as acclaimed is quite flawed. Even critics who were supporting Colman to the Oscar win last time at all costs are saying she’s great but she’s not as big a contender or anywhere as phenomenal in the film as Hopkins.

I’m not disagreeing that Colman can’t win the Globe or that her performance is acclaimed but to say that her performance is anywhere near as acclaimed as Hopkins is flawed when it looks like Hopkins has set himself up to deliver the most acclaimed performance of the year by far (I mean Carey Mulligan, Frances Mcdormand and Vanessa Kirby don’t even come close to Hopkins’ acclaim and their performances are also more raved about than Colman’s).

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, Shiva Baby, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall, Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, Winston Duke/James McAvoy
    Actress: Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant, Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby

Profile picture
    Thiago
    Topics:

This same logic “HFPA don’t owe you anything” should apply to Colman too since she’s already gone 3 for 3! If anything, Amanda or some newbie should benefit from this the most.

It does, but nobody is saying Colman is going to win the Globe regardless of how good The Father is because she is overdue for an Oscar.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

This “The Globes don’t owe Glenn an award” argument is irrelevant. They also didn’t owe Laura Dern an award last year, yet she still won (although I wanted her to win, I didn’t believe for a single second that J.Lo was taking it). If they love Glenn’s performance in Hillbilly, they’ll probably give her the award. Colman’s gone three for three, and if they really want her to give her a fourth statuette, they can do that for The Crown, too.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

My predictions for the main critics winners:

NBR: Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy
    NYFCC: Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
    LAFCA: Yoon Yeo-jeong, Minari
    NSFC: Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

With that said, The Father being Hopkins’ movie is equally irrelevant. I don’t think anyone would claim that Marriage Story was Dern’s movie, for instance. It all depends on the category in which an actor is competing and who this actor is (obvs. Dern had a much bigger narrative than either one of Driver or Johansson). Unless Glenn underwhelms — which I highly, highly doubt — I don’t really see a path for Colman. Her performance is nowhere near as buzzed about as Mahershela’s in Green Book, him obviously being the latest actor to win his second Oscar two years after bagging his first.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

This “The Globes don’t owe Glenn an award” argument is irrelevant. They also didn’t owe Laura Dern an award last year, yet she still won (although I wanted her to win, I didn’t believe for a single second that J.Lo was taking it). If they love Glenn’s performance in Hillbilly, they’ll probably give her the award. Colman’s gone three for three, and if they really want her to give her a fourth statuette, they can do that for The Crown, too.

The huge difference is Marriage Story was acclaimed (it’s very likely HE won’t be) and  Dern didn’t win a movie GG 2 years prior. And as you said, her biggest opponent at the time was JLo. Not really the same situation at all.

Colman fans need to relax and shed their delusion. They think that she deserves every award in the world.

You don’t need to stan someone to suggest they could win. Maybe you should learn that instead of creating 50 dupes every week.

Profile picture
    dinasztie
    Topics:

You don’t need to stan someone to suggest they could win. Maybe you should learn that instead of creating 50 dupes every week.

The funny thing is that your argument against Glenn is that she got a movie Globe 2 years ago. Which is true about Colman as well – not only that, she has won Globes for three consecutive years, INCLUDING a movie Golden Globe 2 years ago, while she also has The Crown to win another one this year (she has every chance, because let’s be honest if she managed to get it last year, she can just as well win with much baitier storylines).

Meanwhile, Anthony Hopkins has never won a Golden Globe – I am sure they will not resist him so The Father will be awarded. And trust me – Globe voters KNOW they influence they have on Oscar voters. If Glenn stars winning there, the train starts.

I think 2 years ago, a lot of us were mislead by the fact that they both won. SAG was easy for Glenn since she is an acting legend and had a LOT of buzz because of THE Speech. But by the Baftas, it went back to what was going to happen anyway. The Supporting Race is different – you start at the Globes and go on and on. And that “British rule” doesn’t apply as much at the Baftas anymore – Lesley Manville lost to Allison Janney, Florence Pugh lost to Dern, Naomie Harris to Viola etc.

Profile picture
    Thiago
    Topics:

Colman fans need to relax and shed their delusion. They think that she deserves every award in the world.

Nobody said she deserves, just that discarding the possibilite of her winning because Close will, regardless of how HE is received and no one is gonna snub her again for Colman only works at the Oscar, because Close is not overdue anywhere else. I dont Know how that turned into Colman deserves anything.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Why do people always think awards groups keep track of who they have and have not awarded before. What SAG member is going to think to themselves, Anthony Hopkins has never won a SAG award so I’d better give it to him! And conversely, who at HFPA is going to think to themselves, Glenn Close already has 3 Golden Globes so I’d better give it to someone else! Voters don’t think about that stuff like we do.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Why do people always think awards groups keep track of who they have and have not awarded before. What SAG member is going to think to themselves, Anthony Hopkins has never won a SAG award so I’d better give it to him! And conversely, who at HFPA is going to think to themselves, Glenn Close already has 3 Golden Globes so I’d better give it to someone else! Voters don’t think about that stuff like we do.

You’re right about the second part, but HFPA and SAG voters are most likely aware that Hopkins has never won a Globe and SAG award, since that’s a pretty important statistic.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-Jung
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 445 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.