Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 496 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Fletcher
CateNicole
  • Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I just find it weird that people are hanging onto Hillbilly Elegy. There are always Oscar-bait contenders that are predicted at the beginning of the year but aren’t well received enough to become contenders. So why is it different with Elegy? Because of Close’s narrative? Because of how controversial it is? Netflix has so many contenders to juggle that Hillbilly Elegy will be so far down its priorities list. Why can’t we just move on?

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Why should people move on if they genuinely liked Glenn’s performance? A comment as such perfectly proves why threads like these, or Twitter, can be both condescending and an echo chamber. Begging the question why people aren’t moving on because a small group of people have decided that this movie isn’t going anywhere is quite ridiculous.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

I strongly disagree. Where is the precedent for a movie this critically butchered getting a supporting actress nomination? I mean within the last ten years there’s only even been one that had a rotten score on RT and that was Janet McTeer in Albert Nobbs. That movie had 56%, not 25%.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

People can predict whatever they want — that’s my point. No one should “move on” because others think they should. I might be wrong with my prediction, but that’s fine; then good on everyone who was right!

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I haven’t seen the movie so I can’t comment on Close’s performance. I also am not trying to shame anyone for their prediction, I’m sorry if that is how my comment came across. I am more just pointing out that talk surrounding Hillbilly Elegy is noticeably different than that of contenders in past years with similar (or better) receptions that have distributors with fewer contenders, and I am trying to figure out why that is.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This race is getting super competitive now. Candice Bergen is in this category now!

Poor Glennie.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    freddiethe13th
    Topics:

Hi, new here but been following GD for >1year. I think Glenn should be nominated because her performance is moving, a standout, and her typical brilliant. Plain and simple.

I find it hard to imagine voters favouring someone best remembered for her Mean Girls character (however unfair that is because Seyfried is talented and seems adorable) to win instead of a double-overdue legend. (I say double-overdue obviously because of what the press called one of Oscars’ biggest upsets.) So if Close gets nominated, a win is possible.

I feel that some have allowed RT and MC to dictate to them whether a movie is likeable or not. If people here are allowed to pick and push actresses in movies they probably haven’t seen (not yet widely released), why can’t others be allowed to admire performances they have actually already watched and enjoyed?

Looking at Twitter, many say they dislike the movie because JD’s a capitalist and it is not an accurate depiction of Appalachia. But more seem to repeatedely say they were touched by the movie and that it isn’t as bad as critics portray it to be.

Re: precedents, these can be broken. I’m guessing many said the Academy won’t touch “Extremely Loud..” because of the Rotten rating but it still got nominated for Picture. Hillbilly’s rating is certainly lower but… a legendary actress winning for a solid performance in a movie critics disliked (RT critics rating) but audiences were okay with (RT audience rating)? That sounds possible to me.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

This race is getting super competitive now. Candice Bergen is in this category now!

Poor Glennie.

For what? Let Them All Talk? I thought that was TV

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

For what? Let Them All Talk? I thought that was TV

HBO has double confirmed for us today that “Let Them All Talk” has been changed over. They told us something different earlier this month, but it now competing in feature film categories and not in TV movie categories.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

Best Movie Performances 2020 – Time

“AMANDA SEYRFRIED – MANK”

David Fincher’s Mank is an entertaining work of old Hollywood folklore, starring Gary Oldman as sozzled scribe Herman Mankiewicz, co-writer of Orson Welles’ Citizen Kane, But the picture’s most intoxicating presence is Amanda Seyfried as flirty-smart Brooklyn-born actor Marion Davies, the longtime mistress of William Randolph Hearst (by most accounts the model for Charles Foster Kane). In real life Davies was a gifted performer whose career was more hindered than helped by her rich, famous paramour, and Seyfried captures that bittersweet subtext perfectly: there’s always just a hint of sadness behind her resplendent smile, as if she knows exactly what Davies’ life choices cost her. Both saucy and fine-grained, this portrait of Davies brings some necessary warmth to Fincher’s grand vision. It could almost have been a movie unto itself.

https://www.google.com.br/amp/s/time.com/5915528/best-movie-performances-2020/%3famp=true

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

1. Amanda Seyfried, Mank
    2. Olivia Colman, The Father
    3. Ellen Burstyn, Pieces of a Woman
    4. Candice Bergen, Let Them All Talk
    5. Helena Zengel, News of the World

6. Jodie Foster, The Mauritanian
    7. Dominique Fishback, Judas and the Black Messiah
    8. Natasha Lyonne, The United States vs. Billie Holliday
    9. Dianne Wiest, Let Them All Talk
    10. Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Watch Candice Bergen take this à la Dern and Janney.

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

1. Glenn Close – Hillbilly Elegy
    2. Olivia Colman – The Father
    3. Amanda Seyfried – Mank

4. Ellen Burstyn – Pieces of a Woman
    5. Helena Zengel – News of the World
    6. Candice Bergen – Let Them All Talk

7. Maria Bakalova – Borat: Subsequent Moviefilm
    8. Jodie Foster – The Mauritanian
    9. Nicole Kidman – The Prom

10. Natasha Lyonne – The United States vs Billie Holiday
    11. Dominique Fishback – Judas and the Black Messiash
    12. Olivia Williams – The Father

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Candice Bergen, Jodie Foster are not happening.</p>

Profile picture
    Ms. Trunchbull
    Topics:

Hi, new here but been following GD for >1year. I think Glenn should be nominated because her performance is moving, a standout, and her typical brilliant. Plain and simple.

I find it hard to imagine voters favouring someone best remembered for her Mean Girls character (however unfair that is because Seyfried is talented and seems adorable) to win instead of a double-overdue legend. (I say double-overdue obviously because of what the press called one of Oscars’ biggest upsets.) So if Close gets nominated, a win is possible.

I feel that some have allowed RT and MC to dictate to them whether a movie is likeable or not. If people here are allowed to pick and push actresses in movies they probably haven’t seen (not yet widely released), why can’t others be allowed to admire performances they have actually already watched and enjoyed?

Looking at Twitter, many say they dislike the movie because JD’s a capitalist and it is not an accurate depiction of Appalachia. But more seem to repeatedely say they were touched by the movie and that it isn’t as bad as critics portray it to be.

Re: precedents, these can be broken. I’m guessing many said the Academy won’t touch “Extremely Loud..” because of the Rotten rating but it still got nominated for Picture. Hillbilly’s rating is certainly lower but… a legendary actress winning for a solid performance in a movie critics disliked (RT critics rating) but audiences were okay with (RT audience rating)? That sounds possible to me.

Welcome to Goldderby, Mrs. Close.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.