Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 492 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Fletcher
CateNicole
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Maria Bakalova is 1000x more plausible.

Not really.

I also feel like people on here are just dismissing Pieces of a Woman too quickly. Some critics who posted reviews of the film said it’s a threat for a SAG ensemble nomination. Parker is playing the antagonist (although to be fair I don’t know how her performance is or how much she has to do) and with this weak field she is plausible.

Sometimes it feels like you’re just trying to find stretches to not predict the film for nominations haha.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

I’m watching Pieces of a Woman in a few hours, but right now I would say Bakalova is definitely possible.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Definitely not happening…

It’s quite plausible.

Look at Laura Dern getting in for Wild or Marina de Tavira getting in for Roma. Or Agdhashloo. Sometimes performances coattail without even getting in anywhere else. I think Williams is getting in at the BAFTAs and Collins has a chance at the Globes and Pieces of a Woman could get three noms at SAG (including LaBeouf) due to Netflix and recency bias so all three are plausible.

I mean if News of the World flops all three actors are in the top 10 imo.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m watching Pieces of a Woman in a few hours, but right now I would say Bakalova is definitely possible.

Just a random question are you a film critic? I’ve just noticed you get to watch a lot of screeners.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Saying that three acting nominations for an indie with average reviews, that isn’t really even in a Best Picture nomination radar won’t happen is not stretching, it’s common sense.

See you’re just assuming that the film has average reviews but its 69 score is as a result of only 11 reviews. On the other hand it has 80% on Rotten Tomatoes with 55 reviews. Something like Ammonite has a 73 score based on 32 reviews and 68% on Rotten Tomatoes with 130 reviews.

It’s too early to dismiss Pieces of a Woman‘s critical reception imo.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

See you’re just assuming that the film has average reviews but its 69 score is as a result of only 11 reviews. On the other hand it has 80% on Rotten Tomatoes with 55 reviews. Something like Ammonite has a 73 score based on 32 reviews and 68% on Rotten Tomatoes with 130 reviews.

It’s too early to dismiss Pieces of a Woman‘s critical reception imo.

80% on RT is average reviews.

I was never predicting Ammonite for anything so I don’t know why are you bringing it here.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

See you’re just assuming that the film has average reviews but its 69 score is as a result of only 11 reviews. On the other hand it has 80% on Rotten Tomatoes with 55 reviews. Something like Ammonite has a 73 score based on 32 reviews and 68% on Rotten Tomatoes with 130 reviews. It’s too early to dismiss Pieces of a Woman‘s critical reception imo.

Can’t agree more. The score is not low enough to kill winning buzz (or at least nomination buzz. As what you said, the score may get higher along the time and I think that Kirby’s performance is conclusively great (+Oscar-worthy) in every critics’ review.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

“Pieces of a Woman’ is NOT getting 3 acting noms. I haven’t even seen anyone single out Williams either, so I don’t see that happening at all. Fishback, Zengel, and Lyonne will end up filling out this category once their films come out and if their performances and films are good.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

De Tavira was in Top BP contender, this comparison makes no sense sorry.

Ellen Burstyn would be already filling the Laura Dern ‘role’ if anything.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Fishback, Zengel, and Lyonne will end up filling out this category once their films come out and if their performances and films are good.

But what if Billie Holliday is pushed back as it looks likely to be? What if News of the World flops? What if Fishback’s not to got as much as people think she has to do in Judas as people think she is?

People are being too close minded here.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

De Tavira was in Top BP contender, this comparison makes no sense sorry. Ellen Burstyn would be already filling the Laura Dern ‘role’ if anything.

Aghdashloo says hello.

Anyway I’m not going to argue anymore. Just don’t be surprised if I say I told you so on nominations day haha.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Aghdashloo says hello.

Aghdashloo was a critical darling, won a Spirit etc. Good luck for Molly Parker with that.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

But what if Billie Holliday is pushed back as it looks likely to be? What if News of the World flops? What if Fishback’s not to got as much as people think she has to do in Judas as people think she is? People are being too close minded here.

Even if all that happens (which i HIGHLY doubt) Williams still won’t make it in…

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Even if all that happens (which i HIGHLY doubt) Williams still won’t make it in…

You do realise she’s in a potential (and imo likely) top 5 Best Picture contender which is one of the most acclaimed films of the year right?

She also has the principal supporting role on a new HBO series that will be airing around Oscar voting. That can only help her if the HBO show is acclaimed.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

You do realise she’s in a potential (and imo likely) top 5 Best Picture contender which is one of the most acclaimed films of the year right?

Yea, I realize that and she’s still no making it in. This category is pretty empty, but not that empty…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 492 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.