Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 496 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Fletcher
CateNicole
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yes, but what voter would ever say “Nicole Kidman’s doing an R rated movie, I’m not voting for her”? It’s not like being in R rated films have hurt other actresses. And there’s explanations for those misses as many of them are in films that are just awards non starters (To Die For, or for instance, last year, she was in a film where there was a supporting actress with a larger, showier role, played by a bigger star at the time. She can absolutely get nominated for an R rated movie, she just hasn’t found the right project yet.

I think her R rated movie project she’s getting nominated for is The Northman.

In fact as CateNicole said she could very well win for The Northman.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Priyanka Chopra for The White Tiger next.

This made me giggle.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Rajesh Krishnamuti
    Topics:

I watched Hillbilly a few days ago and my (unpopular) take is that Glenn Close was absolutely great. I did not in any way find her performance to be hammy; quite the opposite actually: I found it to be beautifully grounded. Of course the transformation aspect of it at all and her dialogue could have easily led to an unbearably hammy, over-the-top performance, but that did not end up being the case IMO. I think she is still very much in this race (to be nominated and win), and Hillbilly is, as expected, doing much better with GA than with critics. If you disagree, that’s fine.

In total agreement here. There was depth to her performance….the scene at the door where she asks for more food and with young J.D where she flicks that bag of chips and says ‘now eat’ was a masterclass in understated acting. Her ability to express a character’s thoughts came through in her eyes. The actors branch will recognise that and give her the nomination.

PS: I also think all the scenes with Freida Pinto and the older J.D should have just been edited out and given to developing the Adams’ character.

Profile picture
    Justmimusicmon
    Topics:

Seyfried
    Colman
    Burstyn
    Close
    Wiest

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

I love Nicole but she won’t be at the Oscars for a Ryan Murphy movie, I don’t think even Streep has a chance.

Amanda Seyfried

Olivia Colman

Glenn Close

Ellen Burstyn

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

PS: I also think all the scenes with Freida Pinto and the older J.D should have just been edited out and given to developing the Adams’ character.

No way! Usha was one of the best parts of that film!

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Do we know anything about Zengel in NotW yet?

FYC:

Lead Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Supporting Actress: Maria Bakalova (Borat Subsequent Moviefilm)

Supporting Actor: Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Profile picture
    Keth
    Topics:

Close’s loss for The Wife was the best thing to happen to her. It revived and further reinforced her narrative. AMPAS will feel bad, they don’t give two sh!ts for the supporting acting categories, they’ll give it to her.

Part of me agrees with this and it wouldn’t bother me a bit if this is how Glenn Close finally wins the Oscar. Even if I’m not a big fan of her performance in Hillbilly Elegy.

Supporting categories have always been used to honor long overdue actors. How about Sean Connery, Alan Arkin, Christopher Plummer, Morgan Freeman, Chris Cooper, Tommy Lee Jones, Don Ameche, Maureen Stapleton and Vanessa Redgrave to name a few.

Or make up Oscars for when the Academy goofed – think Dame Judi Dench in Mrs. Brown and Whoopi Goldberg in The Color Purple.

p.s. I didn’t have a problem with Geraldine Page finally winning an Oscar although if she would have won for Interiors instead of Oscar giving Jane Fonda a second one.

Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

END OF WEEK 12 PREDICTIONS

1. Amanda Seyfried (Mank)
    2. Olivia Colman (The Father)
    3. Glenn Close (Hillbilly Elegy)
    4. Ellen Burstyn (Pieces of a Woman)
    5. Yuh-Jung Youn (Minari)
    Profile picture
    Damucracia
    Topics:

Gals, let me spill the tea. This race has always been and will continue to be Close vs Seyfried. If Close wins Globe, it’s over.  

I really don’t get that.

If Close wins a Globe for a extremely panned movie, it means there’s a landslide coming? She had one for The Wife and everyone knows how it turned out.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Would be funny if Kirby got double nominated like Holly Hunter did in the 90s (obviously I’m not suggesting <i>Pieces </i>will be in anyway as strong as The Piano) but it would be funny if Kirby became a double nominee in one year.

I mean the range.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I really don’t get that.

If Close wins a Globe for a extremely panned movie, it means there’s a landslide coming? She had one for The Wife and everyone knows how it turned out.

Seyfried is not Colman.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

I really don’t get that.

The Wife was an acclaimed movie.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Why do you say that? The majority of the reactions I’m seeing are that it’s good-not-great (about what we were expecting), and Matt Neglia seems to think it’s a contender in Supporting Actress more than Picture/Director or even Actor. Seems like she gets better as the film goes along. I doubt she gets nommed if it doesn’t become a Ford v Ferrari-type technical Picture contender, but if it gains momentum overall, seems like she’s still got a strong chance to go along for the ride.

Profile picture
    Jasmine is French
    Topics:

My November predictions:

Glenn Close
    Jodie Foster
    Amanda Seyfrid
    Ellen Burstyn
    Olivia Colman

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.