Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 496 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Fletcher
CateNicole
  • Profile picture
    VINCE
    Topics:

Seyfried
    Colman
    Burstyn
    Bergen
    Wiest

Would be nice to see Seyfried win over these legends.

MARIAH CAREY

Profile picture
    ShinySeaDiamond
    Topics:

Since when does the Academy care about conservative backlash?

Conservative backlash against racial justice, feminism and LGBTQ+ rights is one thing. However, Guantanamo Bay is something a lot of ‘liberals’/Democrats support, and so there’d be more people offended by the film. Not to mention people in Hollywood who are Islamophobic feel less pressured to hide it (Bill Mahr) and I don’t think there’s an appetite within the Academy or the general public to have terrorist suspects portrayed with nuance.

Moreover, we saw The Report miss last year for Annette Bening, an actress with a more powerful narrative than Foster.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Conservative backlash against racial justice, feminism and LGBTQ+ rights is one thing. However, Guantanamo Bay is something a lot of ‘liberals’/Democrats support, and so there’d be more people offended by the film. Not to mention people in Hollywood who are Islamophobic feel less pressured to hide it (Bill Mahr) and I don’t think there’s an appetite within the Academy or the general public to have terrorist suspects portrayed with nuance.

Moreover, we saw The Report miss last year for Annette Bening, an actress with a more powerful narrative than Foster.

Richard Jewell was also controversial politically and Kathy Bates was still nominated. But I admit you have a good point. Liberals are probably not gonna like it.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Just seen The Life Ahead and i don’t know, i think Sophia Loren would be a great supporting actress contender, I think her role is borderline and i know they want to break records as the oldest BA nominee, but she could be win competitive here.

Profile picture
    Aint2Proud2Beg
    Topics:

Conservative backlash against racial justice, feminism and LGBTQ+ rights is one thing. However, Guantanamo Bay is something a lot of ‘liberals’/Democrats support, and so there’d be more people offended by the film. Not to mention people in Hollywood who are Islamophobic feel less pressured to hide it (Bill Mahr) and I don’t think there’s an appetite within the Academy or the general public to have terrorist suspects portrayed with nuance. Moreover, we saw The Report miss last year for Annette Bening, an actress with a more powerful narrative than Foster.

WORD!!! Take a bow sis, you said it all and not one lie detected.

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Just seen The Life Ahead and i don’t know, i think Sophia Loren would be a great supporting actress contender, I think her role is borderline and i know they want to break records as the oldest BA nominee, but she could be win competitive here.

I go so far to say she’s the frontrunner if she were to enter BSA. I know a lot of people have mentioned she personally would likely be against such placement, but I’d like to know more about why people think this is the case.

Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

I go so far to say she’s the frontrunner if she were to enter BSA. I know a lot of people have mentioned she personally would likely be against such placement, but I’d like to know more about why people think this is the case.

Perhaps they are just assuming that she is from the era when being in supporting was considered a step down for a major movie star. Michael Caine has said he felt like his Hannah and Her Sisters Oscar meant his career as a star was fading. He joked about it with Tom Cruise the second time he won. (stuff about your price goes down etc.)

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Perhaps they are just assuming that she is from the era when being in supporting was considered a step down for a major movie star. Michael Caine has said he felt like his Hannah and Her Sisters Oscar meant his career as a star was fading. He joked about it with Tom Cruise the second time he won. (stuff about your price goes down etc.)

Ah okay, thank you. That’s what I was gathering too, but it’s not at all farfetched to suggest this performance could be entered in supporting, and I wasn’t sure if Loren was notoriously stubborn or anything of the like. She seems lovely so I feel like she’d be happy in supporting too, especially if she wins

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This category is a mess outside of Colman and Seyfried (and maybe Burstyn).

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Since when does the Academy care about conservative backlash?

Zero Dark Thirty would like to have a word

Profile picture
    ShinySeaDiamond
    Topics:

Zero Dark Thirty would like to have a word

Also, on the point of The Mauritanian, Foster looked like a lead in the trailer (and if that’s the case no way would she make the BA lineup even if the film wasn’t a tinderbox of controversy)? Unless this is going to be the very rare movie about terrorism that actually centres MENA characters rather than just putting them in the background as a threat for white intelligence officers to eliminate?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Not to mention people in Hollywood who are Islamophobic feel less pressured to hide it (Bill Mahr)

I hate Bill Maher. Why does he still have a show because he’s awful on every level.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Aint2Proud2Beg
    Topics:

I hate Bill Maher. Why does he still have a show because he’s awful on every level.

Just as Jack Tapper had the audacity to openly attack Rashida Tlaib (a POC woman) and get away with it, Bill Maher can get away with anything. There are rules and hierarchies in the liberal culture/media on who gets cancelled and who doesn’t.

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

Sophia could easily contend on both. But her chances of a win would fare far better in this category.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Seyfried is sweeping (or at least sweeping everything sans BAFTA).

I mean I guess Foster and Bergen theoretically have chances but if they’re giving an Oscar to Kirby they won’t give one to Burstyn and Seyfried’s closest competition comes from someone who just won.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.