Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 496 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Fletcher
CateNicole
  • Profile picture
    Brae
    Topics:

I think Seyfried is sweeping (or at least sweeping everything sans BAFTA). I mean I guess Foster and Bergen theoretically have chances but if they’re giving an Oscar to Kirby they won’t give one to Burstyn and Seyfried’s closest competition comes from someone who just won.

I have to agree with this sentiment though I think Foster could become bigger competition than she seems, this is really Seyfrieds to lose. There is the potential of Streep dropping to Supporting for The Prom, and obvious supporting is a category that Streep is very comfortable in. That said, I think the fact that shes Streep means that everybody knows shes got like 10 more chances lmao, Seyfried feels locked. I do hope something happens to heat this category up, ever since Close delivered her stinker this ones become quite stagnant.

FYC:

BEST ACTRESS — CAREY MULLIGAN
    BEST ACTOR — RIZ AHMED

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I have to agree with this sentiment though I think Foster could become bigger competition than she seems, this is really Seyfrieds to lose. There is the potential of Streep dropping to Supporting for The Prom, and obvious supporting is a category that Streep is very comfortable in. That said, I think the fact that shes Streep means that everybody knows shes got like 10 more chances lmao, Seyfried feels locked. I do hope something happens to heat this category up, ever since Close delivered her stinker this ones become quite stagnant.

Yeah I agree about Foster. If The Mauritanian gathers steam she could win. What’s worth baring in mind (and I agree with the previous comments on what might hurt the film) is that these people LOVE Foster so I can see her being strong enough to overcome what happened to Knightley and Bening. And as I said before considering Foster’s shift to directing this could be their final chance to award her. It also seems to be a more high profile film than either The Report or Official Secrets (and I say this as someone who found the latter excellent) with Cumberbatch and Woodley also starring.

In this strange year the only film which is a contender in acting that I can see being affected by politics is Hillbilly Elegy.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

It would be nice to see Foster make a return to the Oscars.

I think this is Seyfried vs. Colman however.  At this point I think we could see Colman/Seyfried/Yuh-jung/Burstyn/Foster.

My profile on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/Icecreamb

Profile picture
    Brae
    Topics:

Yeah I agree about Foster. If The Mauritanian gathers steam she could win. What’s worth baring in mind (and I agree with the previous comments on what might hurt the film) 

You know, before the protests in June and then that absolutely vitriolic election cycle I might have agreed that the film just had too much baggage for voters to get behind but I actually think that the fact that it is so deeply political will help this year. Maybe I’ll eat my words but films like The Mauritanian and Judas and the Black Messiah may actually benefit from the current climate. There’s I think a greater sense of urgency in people to tell and to share important stories. So for me, what has hurt films like Official Secrets (great film) in the past is the exact thing thats going to bolster this one up. I think that’ll work in Promising Young Womans favour as well.

FYC:

BEST ACTRESS — CAREY MULLIGAN
    BEST ACTOR — RIZ AHMED

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

You know, before the protests in June and then that absolutely vitriolic election cycle I might have agreed that the film just had too much baggage for voters to get behind but I actually think that the fact that it is so deeply political will help this year. Maybe I’ll eat my words but films like The Mauritanian and Judas and the Black Messiah may actually benefit from the current climate. There’s I think a greater sense of urgency in people to tell and to share important stories. So for me, what has hurt films like Official Secrets (great film) in the past is the exact thing thats going to bolster this one up. I think that’ll work in Promising Young Womans favour as well.

I agree. This is why I am considering Promising Young Woman to be a big Picture contender.

In a normal year <i>Judas and the Black Messiah </i>probably would have just made Picture but there’ something that tells me a film about injustices within the judiciary system, a film about Fred Hampton and a film about rape culture post #MeToo will do very well this year. Even though the annoying Orange is no longer POTUS.

It’s also partly why although I think Nomadland‘s political message could help it won’t be that much of a big selling point when there are so many films with political selling points this year. I’ve noticed that some experts and editors have slotted <i>Promising Young Woman </i>in their top 5 after it was screened and I do think it’s genuinely possible it ends up being top 5. It could win the Comedy Globe, get nominated for Film at BAFTA. Hell I even think it has a shot at Ensemble because whilst Mulligan is THE performance of the film and the only one who stands a chance at a nomination but the film is filled with great performances (as minimal as they may be) from various fairly well known actors at least on television (Connie Britton, Laverne Cox, Molly Shannon).

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

With Seyfried in particular I initially was hesitant because of actors in Fincher films’ record with the Academy but considering how the first non Waltz actor in a Tarantino film won this year and for a less acclaimed role in a more competitive field I think she stands a good chance. Especially considering her role seems to be transformative whilst Pitt’s was the opposite of transformative.

Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:
    Aint2Proud2Beg
    Topics:

JLO was similarly excited about her “Oscar buzz” going around on the view talking about the “buzz” and we all know what happened.  So i am not going to put my stock in a former mean girl who has absolutely no body of work to show for.

P.S Foster for the win.

Profile picture
    Justmimusicmon
    Topics:

GO AMANDA! That humble take on it will take you all the way to the stages of all the awards shows.

Profile picture
    VINCE
    Topics:

Candice Bergen is getting raves for her performance in LTAT. It would be nice to see her with Seyfried, Burstyn, and Colman.

MARIAH CAREY

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

lol I like how close is in a “stinker”, but streep who isnt even in this category, in a musical with a 55 MC is not.

Profile picture
    brenolimsta
    Topics:

Candice Bergen is getting RAVES for her performance in Let Them All Talk

She could pull off a nomination for sure…

Profile picture
    Someonelikeme
    Topics:

We love to see raves for Candace!

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

JLO was similarly excited about her “Oscar buzz” going around on the view talking about the “buzz” and we all know what happened. So i am not going to put my stock in a former mean girl who has absolutely no body of work to show for. P.S Foster for the win.

Not you comparing Mank to Hustlers...

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    Aint2Proud2Beg
    Topics:

Not you comparing Mank to Hustlers...

That was not my point, but what if it even was?? Both movies have the same rotten tomatoes score. So why are you trying to imply that Mank is somehow the better movie? Just because Mank goads some people’s pseudo-intellect does that make it the better movie?

I don’t categorize myself as an intellect so for me Hustlers was a pretty good movie and JLo was pretty darn good in it (better than that ‘one trick pony’ actress that was actually nominated and won).

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.