Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 496 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Fletcher
CateNicole
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

JLO was similarly excited about her “Oscar buzz” going around on the view talking about the “buzz” and we all know what happened.  So i am not going to put my stock in a former mean girl who has absolutely no body of work to show for.

Seyfried is white. Big difference.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Can we please get Jodie Foster in the predictions center? The movie is definitely coming out on time. Is the issue Foster’s category placement?

Profile picture
    Dorsey
    Topics:

Can we please get Jodie Foster in the predictions center? The movie is definitely coming out on time. Is the issue Foster’s category placement?

Variety has already reported that she’s going to be campaigned in supporting, so I’m asking the same thing! what is the hold up?

FYC: Riz Ahmed + Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)
    Sidney Flanigan (Never Rarely Sometimes Always)
    Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    ShinySeaDiamond
    Topics:

She also enjoys a reputation of being a good, if not all time great, actress.

Regarding Mean Girls, Karen Smith is considered iconic in part because of Seyfried’s performance – she found the perfect balance between well meaning naïvety and dumbfounded vapidness. While the film may be a ‘teen movie’, critics loved it and it has transcended genre bias, so it’s a feather in her cap.

She’s also got legitimate indie cred as a result of Lovelace, While We’re Young and First Reformed, and while Mamma Mia and Les Mis are not that great, she received positive notices for them (Mamma Mia only really works on any emotional level due to the Donna-Sophie relationship). Comparing her filmography to that of JLO’s is the largest of reaches.

Moreover, unlike Hustlers, Mank will do well in terms of nominations outside of Seyfried, whereas Hustlers only had sustained buzz for Lopez’s performance.

Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

I do not see how Seyfried in Mank has anything to do with JLo in Hustlers.  One is in a black and white auteur piece about the making of Citizen that’s likely to have the most Oscar noms of the night and is playing a real life person.  The other is JLo badly fake crying in a mediocre movie about strippers where she manufactured “buzz” that the voters saw right through.

My profile on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/Icecreamb

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

She also enjoys a reputation of being a good, if not all time great, actress. Regarding Mean Girls, Karen Smith is considered iconic in part because of Seyfried’s performance – she found the perfect balance between well meaning naïvety and dumbfounded vapidness. While the film may be a ‘teen movie’, critics loved it and it has transcended genre bias, so it’s a feather in her cap. She’s also got legitimate indie cred as a result of Lovelace, While We’re Young and First Reformed, and while Mamma Mia and Les Mis are not that great, she received positive notices for them (Mamma Mia only really works on any emotional level due to the Donna-Sophie relationship). Comparing her filmography to that of JLO’s is the largest of reaches. Moreover, unlike Hustlers, Mank will do well in terms of nominations outside of Seyfried, whereas Hustlers only had sustained buzz for Lopez’s performance.

Also let’s not forget that Seyfried’s in a Best Picture contender and a film about film.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    ShinySeaDiamond
    Topics:

Also let’s not forget that Seyfried’s in a Best Picture contender and a film about film.

Exactly! Even though she might not win, she’s easily the most locked for a nomination, especially since she doesn’t really have internal competition (ironically enough, it’s Lily Collins who fits the JLO mould more in terms of career baggage – with Emily in Paris being the enjoyably messy nail in her Oscar chances’ coffin)

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

She also enjoys a reputation of being a good, if not all time great, actress.

obama

Profile picture
    LLLhawks
    Topics:

Amanda Seyfried blew me away. Every scene she is in, electric. Especially when she is just sharing looks with Mank. With that said, idk who Marion Davies is aside from the things i read on Wikipedia soooooooo…… I’m still rooting for Close to win. Lol.

I just love movies. And awards.

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

That was not my point, but what if it even was?? Both movies have the same rotten tomatoes score. So why are you trying to imply that Mank is somehow the better movie? Just because Mank goads some people’s pseudo-intellect does that make it the better movie? I don’t categorize myself as an intellect so for me Hustlers was a pretty good movie and JLo was pretty darn good in it (better than that ‘one trick pony’ actress that was actually nominated and won).

Is this a joke or are you pretending to not know how the Oscars work

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

1. Amanda Seyfried, Mank
    2. Jodie Foster, The Mauritanian (I have a gut feeling she’s in but who knows what will happen with films being released in February? January films will be fine but I’m not sure about February ones.)
    3. Olivia Colman, The Father
    4. Candice Bergen, Let Them All Talk
    5. Nicole Kidman, The Prom

I’m increasingly becoming tempted to slot in Chopra or Youn in with every passing day. I feel fairly confident in Bergen, Colman, Foster and Seyfried but Kidman is currently filler in my prediction here at the moment.

Profile picture
    Aint2Proud2Beg
    Topics:

Is this a joke or are you pretending to not know how the Oscars work

Sweetheart, you can take that smug attitude and stick it where the sun doesn’t shine.

I know how the Oscars work and i am now realizing that the same elitist attitude is present in some of the people on this forum. Using fancy words like ‘auteur’ to describe a movie about another long-ass boring as F movie, yet at the same time using ‘strippers’ to degrade another movie that had a diverse cast. And this is the same lot of hypocrites that find ‘Showgirls’ a masterpiece.

Next time use the ignore button so your high and mighty ass doesn’t see my response.

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Sweetheart, you can take that smug attitude and stick it where the sun doesn’t shine. I know how the Oscars work and i am now realizing that the same elitist attitude is present in some of the people on this forum. Using fancy words like ‘auteur’ to describe a movie about another long-ass boring as F movie, yet at the same time using ‘strippers’ to degrade another movie that had a diverse cast. And this is the same lot of hypocrites that find ‘Showgirls’ a masterpiece. Next time use the ignore button so your high and mighty ass doesn’t see my response.

Why don’t you take your own advice? You’re the only one here who’s offended.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

And she also kind of broke her own “typecasting” while JLo didn’t dare to leave her sexuality in her performance.

Profile picture
    Drusilla
    Topics:

Where does this confidence in Foster (and her film) come from ?

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.