Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 496 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Fletcher
CateNicole
  • Profile picture
    manakamana
    Topics:

1. Olivia Colman, The Father
    2. Amanda Seyfried, Mank
    3. Ellen Burstyn, Pieces of a Woman
    4. Yuh-jung Youn, Minari
    5. Natasha Lyonne, The United States vs. Billie Holiday (why isn’t this in the predictions center???)

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

This year in a nutshell:

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Minari

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

I legit had no idea which of these movies Molly Parker and Olivia Williams were in (and I’m predicting Kirby + Burstyn)

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Not really. I also feel like people on here are just dismissing Pieces of a Woman too quickly. Some critics who posted reviews of the film said it’s a threat for a SAG ensemble nomination. Parker is playing the antagonist (although to be fair I don’t know how her performance is or how much she has to do) and with this weak field she is plausible. Sometimes it feels like you’re just trying to find stretches to not predict the film for nominations haha.

Isn’t she the midwife? I’m pretty sure there’s no external antagonist in Pieces of a Woman.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Isn’t she the midwife? I’m pretty sure there’s no external antagonist in Pieces of a Woman.

Yes but she is also being taken to court because of the miscarriage.

I mean some of the reviews for Pieces of a Woman have said that Parker shines out amongst the non Burstyn/Kirby cast members.

It’s a heart-breaking gut-punch of a performance. Burtsyn and Parker are especially fine among the outstanding ensemble of supporting players, although everyone holds their own in the challenging and precisely choreographed set pieces.

The woman sends a replacement, Eva, who’s warm and encouraging (qualities Parker so effortlessly embodies), guiding them through the process.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Lady Bird Ronan
    Topics:

Pieces of a Woman ain’t getting 3 acting nominations. Especially 2 for supporting actress. It’s either Burstyn gets in or not.

FYC:

Best Picture: "Minari"
    Best Director: Chloé Zhao, "Nomadland"
    Best Actor: Delroy Lindo, "Da 5 Bloods"
    Best Actress: Carey Mulligan, "Promising Young Woman"
    Best Supporting Actor: Glynn Turman, "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung, "Minari"

"Don't be a Republican" - Lady Bird Ronan

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Williams and Parker are not happening. Sorry.

With the Dern/Tavira/Aghdashloo comparisons, they were the top competitors from their films in their category. Burstyn and Colman are obviously first in line from their films, and it’s happened before with Harrelson, but Three Billboards was the frontrunner to win Picture and the SAG Ensemble WINNER. The Father and PoaW will be lucky to even get a SAG ensemble nomination, something most are not predicting. I’d be more convinced if we’d seen acclaim for Parker or Williams, but Burstyn and Colman are sucking up all their air. Voters would have to be superfans of The Father or PoaW to give it a second supporting actress slot, and I really doubt they’ll do that when it’s a limited five. I really doubt The Father or PoaW are going to be the juggernauts some think they’ll be, and it’s hard to get into the same supporting category twice without being a juggernaut. It’s why I think Lily Collins is the only one who even has a shot, but like I showed in my ranking, she’s still a long shot.

I don’t see Bakalova happening and have her nowhere in my predictions for any show, and I think she’s still got a much higher shot than Williams or Parker.

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

Don’t underestimate Foster….

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Yes but she is also being taken to court because of the miscarriage.

Sure, but it would be wrong to use the term “antagonist” to describe her character.

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

But it’s Seyfried who consistently steals focus with a career-best performance that genuinely brightens every scene she’s given. Davies is a fascinating, layered character who unexpectedly becomes the film’s true heart. With a thick Brooklyn accent and an array of dazzling costume and hair designs, Davies instantly captures attention anytime she’s on-screen. But the underrated talents of Seyfried find pathos as a woman who’s completely in command of her persona and far more intelligent than at first glance. Seyfried more than holds her own against both Oldman and Dance in a performance deserving of the awards season adoration that’s surely on its way.

https://thejamreport.com/2020/11/20/review-mank-is-a-film-thats-easy-to-admire-but-difficult-to-truly-love/

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

https://slate.com/culture/2020/11/hillbilly-elegy-review-dangerous-terminator-stereotypes.html

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

Two-time Oscar winner Jodie Foster (1989’s “The Accused” and 1991’s “The Silence of the Lambs”) is simply electric as Hollander in a transformative performance, one that could put the film in the mix for best makeup and hairstyling. It’s been 25 years since she was nominated for “Nell,” and with a confirmed supporting actress campaign ahead, the veteran could mount an awards comeback.

https://variety.com/2020/film/awards/the-mauritanian-oscars-jodie-foster-tahar-rahim-oscars-release-1234838153/

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

Colman is not going to win 2 in 2 years. End of story

Profile picture
    Jasmine is French
    Topics:

Jodie Foster is entering the supporting actress race. Wooowsa!

https://variety.com/2020/film/awards/the-mauritanian-oscars-jodie-foster-tahar-rahim-oscars-release-1234838153/

Glenn Close
    Jodie Foster
    Amanda Seyfried
    Ellen Burstyn
    Young Yuh-Jung
    Olivia Colman
    Saoirse Ronan
    Maria Bakalova

The race is starting to get really interesting!

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I have no problem slotting Foster in

1. Amanda Seyfried
    2. Olivia Colman
    3. Ellen Burstyn
    4. Helena Zengel
    5. Jodie Foster

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.