Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 496 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Fletcher
CateNicole
  • Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Having slept on Mank I can’t remember a scene except the costume party dinner where Seyfried stood out. I really liked her performance, accent was great, but all she was allowed to do most of the time was look naive and wide-eyed. While I’d be fine with her nomination, a win would be a sign of another weak year. An impressive, understated performance from her, but without a memorable Oscar scene I’d consider her win a bit meh. And before anyone says I hate shouty theatrical Oscar scenes, so wasn’t expecting that. Just still expected something more.

FYC:

Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I should remind people that actors have won Oscars for less than what Seyfried does in Mank. And she really radiates off the screen.

That said, if Close manages to override negative reviews for Hillbilly Elegy (and occasionally for her own contribution to it) and get nominated then I still think she can beat Seyfried. She’s giving the showier performance this time, unlike when she competed with Colman.

Profile picture
    fyras19
    Topics:

Having slept on Mank I can’t remember a scene except the costume party dinner where Seyfried stood out. I really liked her performance, accent was great, but all she was allowed to do most of the time was look naive and wide-eyed. While I’d be fine with her nomination, a win would be a sign of another weak year. An impressive, understated performance from her, but without a memorable Oscar scene I’d consider her win a bit meh. And before anyone says I hate shouty theatrical Oscar scenes, so wasn’t expecting that. Just still expected something more.

I don’t know how can you watch that performance and say all she did was look naive and wide-eyed. The most interesting part of her role was subverting the image of Susan Alexander from Citizen Kane, and Mank showed her as a savvy woman who was aware of the public perception of her, was in command of her thoughts and wasn’t shy to express her opinions.

She doesn’t have much screen time, but that’s the nature of true supporting roles, and I guess she has more or less the same screen time as Regina King and Laura Dern had in their Oscar-winning roles.

Profile picture
    Manuelcolon
    Topics:

Amanda Seyfried gives a career best performance in Mank. She’s by far the best. Even better than Oldman.

Well, that’s not hard to say when she has that kind of filmography…

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I just realised that having just turned 35, Seyfried is now the same age as Cate Blanchett was when she won her first Oscar for playing Katharine Hepburn. It threw me as I’ve always perceived Seyfried as younger based on the type of roles she’s often played.

Profile picture
    David Rodney Heilig
    Topics:

Amanda is in i think 7 scenes and she is luminous in each one. even if i hadn’t known about her buzz before seeing the movie she would have been the thing i liked the best about the film. and she’s had many great performances in the past though most of those weren’t in awards fodder (though she deserved a nom for First Reformed).

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

After watching Mank I’m keeping my prediction of Colman sweeping

Profile picture
    Jazzy
    Topics:

Seyfried was terrific in Mank. She absolutely deserves a nomination. Close is still winning, but Seyfried slayed.

Profile picture
    brenolimsta
    Topics:

after seeing “Mank”, I can see a scenario where Close or Bergen walk away with the Oscar.

they have the showier parts. Close is overdue and Bergen is a comedic legend making a comeback at the oscars…but maybe I’m trippin

Amanda is one of the good things in Mank, she has IMPACT, and she is really amazing in it. I just don’t know. Doesn’t look like she is going to win.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I think Close is in the running.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I staying with Mama Close. Some of the head-to-toe raves for Olivia have me definitely doubting my prediction, but I think the role + the narrative are tipping her over the edge this time. I adore Amanda Seyfried and am so happy that she’s found a role and movie that have catapulted her into the conversation, but this could just be her “welcome to the club” nom. That said, I could be wrong; she stands a decent chance of winning as well.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    Chloe Sevigny stan <3
    Topics:

The real fight for Close will be getting the nomination, and if she can do that the overwhelming narrative and the fact that she’ll probably be competing with Colman again will be too much for the Academy to ignore, again.

Profile picture
    Kubrick
    Topics:

I feel as though Close’s comments about Paltrow, which essentially dismissed the relevance of the Oscar, will hurt her in some circles. I’m sure she was merely protecting herself from her 27th loss and subsequent disappointment, while also using it as a ploy to get attention.

I don’t need this, I’ve seen too much, and I’m just fine without it. No need to talk about it anymore, thanks!

Let us not forget that she was just as surprised as all of us a few seasons ago.

Having said that, it could also seal her a win. But her film will be a hurdle to overcome. All that being said, Olivia Colman will be a 2x winner eventually, and this may be her time.

Profile picture
    Matheus Vaz
    Topics:

I would love to see my grandma Glennie winning this year, despite HE being an awful bad movie she is awards worthy there… But I lost my hope, this will be between Amanda and The Favourite actress.

Profile picture
    Pranksalot
    Topics:

I’m really puzzled why so many people on this forum still think close will be nominated and actually win? Are there many hard core, avid fans here of hers? Like the narrative of her being overdue is the reason why she will be nominated and win for a movie that is unliked across the board? .then how come she isn’t nominated every year then for the rest of her life since her fourth or fifth or sixth or even seventh nominations. ? So it doesn’t matter what movie she is in, she will just be nominated just because she is owed? People been saying this even before a trailer came out for hillybilly . I really don’t understand this logic. I’m trying. My translation from what people are saying here is that every year from 2020 to the remainder of her life, close will be nominated for any movie lollllll she deserves to win someday but let’s not be unrealistic.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.