Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 481 through 492 (of 492 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Fletcher
CateNicole
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Haven’t seen Mank yet but it’s Colman vs Seyfried with Bergen and Foster as potential spoilers depending on their films.

One thing is very clear to me though after reading what’s happened with Mank. Colman is winning the Globe and the BAFTA and if The Father becomes a Best Film nominee at the latter she’s locked for the win there.

Whilst I’m still not counting out Seyfried (I haven’t seen the film yet so that would be wrong) but what people are really underestimating is that The Father could be a big player on the night. It could have Picture, Director, Actor, S. Actress, Editing and Adapted Screenplay nominations. Considering Hopkins isn’t looking very likely anymore Colman is the place to award the film.

Let’s not forget that she’s playing a complete 360 of her rple in The Favourite. I’d argue that partly why she hasn’t been able to strike enough passion to win anything other than the Globe for The Crown is because she’s playing a Queen.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

Moonlight and Green Book BP winners, but okay.

Green Book sitting with a miserable 69 on MC, losing out on a Director nom (despite winning Picture) and being the most hated winner of the 2010s. Meanwhile The Father is acclaimed, with two actors in contention for the win and poised to be top five in both Picture and Director (if SPC handles things well). The Favourite also racked up the most noms of 2019 but okay. Cling onto the delusion.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Promising Young Woman

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Not Sophie from Peep Show!

I’m not a Colman “stan” but she really does have quite a range.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

I think Lily Collins may end up being nominated for the mank train

Seyfried Collins could be the new Rockwell Harrelson

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

??? What are you even arguing about.

I should ask what the fuck are you arguing about? You made a point that Colman can’t win a second so quickly. I pointed out that there has already been a recent precedent for that. Turn on your brain before you desperately jump on these forums with your duplicate accounts.

FYC:

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Also, bubbly and likeable British icon Colman winning two years ago means literally nothing when Mahershala Ali won his second, in two years, for a far weaker film than The Father. You tried!

Based on what? Critical reception or awards run? Mahershala was in two BP winners lets not forget that. And he won two in supporting while Olivia won in lead. She can easily win a second but this overconfidence is a bit ridicolous.

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

In terms of what? Critical reception or awards run? Mahershala was in two BP winners lets not forget that. And he won two in supporting while Olivia won in lead. She can easily win a second but this overconfidence is a bit ridicolous.

Obviously in terms of critical reception. The awards season has barely even begun so how can The Father have an awards run for the sake of comparison?

And please. As if the Academy cares enough to make the fine distinction between winning in supporting twice and winning in lead and supporting once. There is recent precedent for winning a second acting award so soon. That’s all that matters. The Father, upon release, will be strong. You said it yourself, “she can easily win”.

FYC:

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Obviously in terms of critical reception. The awards season has barely even begun so how can The Father have an awards run for the sake of comparison? And please. As if the Academy cares enough to make the fine distinction between winning in supporting twice and winning in lead and supporting once. There is recent precedent for winning a second acting award so soon. That’s all that matters. The Father, upon release, will be strong. You said it yourself, “she can easily win”.

The Father is not going to be the next Green Book or Moonlight. It can do extremely well with precursors but it’s not going to win BP at the Oscars.

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

The Father is not going to be the next Green Book or Moonlight. It can do extremely well with precursors but it’s not going to win BP at the Oscars.

I’m not predicting it to win Picture at the Oscars. My point is that it’s unwise to dismiss Colman winning her second à la Ali simply because Green Book won Picture (the weakest Picture winner this decade, in fact) and The Father probably won’t.

FYC:

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

The overconfidence comes from the fact that she won once out of 1 nomination 💀💀. They’re literally forgetting how she lost 3 Emmys and 2 SAG awards, I mean if the industry was willing to give her everything as her stans are suggesting, she beyond would’ve won for Fleabag or even this year.

Won on her first nomination and is considered likely for a second win meanwhile Glenn loses her eighth. Stay pressed.

FYC:

Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

I don’t think a Best Picture win for The Father is ridiculous.  With us having no solid Best Picture frontrunner, an emotional family drama with a great screenplay and two frontrunner performances, could win this year.  Like Kramer vs Kramer or Ordinary People or Terms of Endearment.

My profile on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/Icecreamb

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I’m not predicting it to win Picture at the Oscars. My point is that it’s unwise to dismiss Colman winning her second à la Ali simply because Green Book won Picture (the weakest Picture winner this decade, in fact) and The Father probably won’t.

I’m not dismissing Colman because  The Father is probably not winning BP. Like I said, she can easily win her second. I just think there’s way too much confidence. Many critics acclaimed Colman but agreed that it’s Hopkins movie.

Viewing 12 posts - 481 through 492 (of 492 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.