Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 492 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Fletcher
CateNicole
  • Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Absolute legend!!! I wish she would’ve discussed Jagged Edge. She was great in that and should’ve been Oscar nominated. And whoa, she was offered a leading role in a Merchant Ivory film circa 1984?????? Might it have been The Bostonians?

Yes it was, although only after Vanessa Redgrave declined. Then Glenn Close withdrew in order to film The Natural, and Redgrave was again offered the role and accepted.

Profile picture
    Jazzy
    Topics:

Yes it was, although only after Vanessa Redgrave declined. Then Glenn Close withdrew in order to film The Natural, and Redgrave was again offered the role and accepted.

Thanks! Wow, I had no idea.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

1. Amanda Seyfried, Mank (BSFC, CFCA, GFCA, LFCC, WFCA, Globe, SAG, BAFTA)
    2. Olivia Colman, The Father (CFCA, HCA, GFCA, LFCCWFCA, Globe, SAG, BAFTA)
    3. Ellen Burstyn, Pieces of a Woman (CFCA, GFCA, WFCA, SAG, BAFTA, Spirit)
    4. Jodie Foster, The Mauritanian (NBR, GFCA, LFCC, WFCA, Globe, BAFTA, Spirit)
    5. Lily Collins, Mank (CFCA, WFCA, Globe)

6. Olivia Williams, The Father (LFCC, BAFTA)
    7. Nicole Kidman, The Prom (Globe, SAG)
    8. Saoirse Ronan, Ammonite
    9. Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy (SAG)
    10. Yuh Jung-Youn, Minari (CFCA, GFCA, WFCA)/Fiona Shaw, Ammonite (BAFTA, LFCC)

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

6. Olivia Williams, The Father (LFCC, BAFTA)

I’m sorry, but she isn’t even in the conversation…

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

A legend, three nominations followed in his first three films;

She should have been nominated also for ” Jagged Eye ”.

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

Someone who has read the ”promising young woman” reviews. is there any mention of Connie Briton or Alison Brie?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m sorry, but she isn’t even in the conversation…

I’m sorry but it’s my opinion. Deal with it…

Someone who has read the ”promising young woman” reviews. is there any mention of Connie Briton or Alison Brie?

Neither of these stand a chance. However Britton is excellent in the bits she’s in of the film.

Promising Young Woman (in terms of acting) remains a Carey Mulligan vehicle. The person who is the closest to getting nominated from the film is Bo Burnham because he’s arguably borderline lead but I don’t see him happening because it isn’t really a performance that warrants a nomination.

The four supporting ladies are great but they don’t really have that much to do or are good enough (like Viola Davis in Doubt) to get nominated. But if one was to get nominated (which I highly doubt) it would be one of Britton or Shannon rather than Brie.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

After watching Flopbilly Elegy I think Granny Close could still be nominated this year if the review scores improve, kind of like Stanley Tucci in The Lovely Bones or Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth The Golden Age. She’s pretty good in the film: definetely one of it’s best aspects. Not to mention, this category is still so empty.

She stands no chance at a win though.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Stanley Tucci in The Lovely Bones or Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth The Golden Age.

The thing to note with these two performances though are the fact that Tucci’s performance was pretty acclaimed and he was nominated at the Globes, SAG and BAFTA for it too (I don’t think Close will get in at BAFTA). Blanchett was reprising the role that caused her breakthrough and it was a beloved role.

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

One major misperception in Hollywood lore is that an actor’s talent can be measured by the number of Academy Awards they’ve won. It’s a faulty yardstick for gauging genius, and one need cite only a single example as proof: Glenn Close.

GOLDBERG: I want to ask you one more question. Are you ever going to do the movie version of Sunset Boulevard?

CLOSE: We’re waiting. We haven’t been thrown on the Paramount trash heap yet, which would be a mistake. I hope I can do it before I die. I’m passionate about it. We have a brilliant script. I think we would be much further if COVID hadn’t happened. But thank you for asking, because it’s one of those things that if I can just get it done, then literally, I don’t give a shit what I do for the rest of my life.

https://www.interviewmagazine.com/film/glenn-close-in-conversation-whoopi-goldberg-hillbilly-elegy?fbclid=IwAR2KudGEZmtHvCHE8JjT5J-831G9pNt4OVEEfYKZ0K_H9GjHFgjLuBRnIlM

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

because it’s one of those things that if I can just get it done, then literally, I don’t give a shit what I do for the rest of my life.

Wow Glenn has become sassy granny now lol.

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Just watched I’m Thinking of Ending Things, and I’d love to see a nod for Collette and some nods for Kaufman too. Collette seems completely unafraid of anything. She really risks it all in everything she does.

FYC: Michaela Coel and Rosamund Pike

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The World to Come to be released on February 12th.

https://www.atomtickets.com/movies/the-world-to-come/311844

I don’t see it going anywhere but it would be funny if Kirby got double nominated with an actress and supporting nomination.

Saoirse Ronan: I am inevitable.
    Vanessa Kirby: And I am Iron Man.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

CLOSE: We’re waiting. We haven’t been thrown on the Paramount trash heap yet, which would be a mistake. I hope I can do it before I die. I’m passionate about it. We have a brilliant script. I think we would be much further if COVID hadn’t happened. But thank you for asking, because it’s one of those things that if I can just get it done, then literally, I don’t give a shit what I do for the rest of my life.

Honestly? Can’t wait for this, and I really hope it happens.

I admire her passion for this project and even if I never got to see the musical live, Sunset Boulevard is one of the best things Glenn has ever done imo, extremely deserved Tony.

Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

The thing to note with these two performances though are the fact that Tucci’s performance was pretty acclaimed and he was nominated at the Globes, SAG and BAFTA for it too (I don’t think Close will get in at BAFTA). Blanchett was reprising the role that caused her breakthrough and it was a beloved role.

Blanchett also had that great speech something like “I command the wind” or something about the wind. They played that on LA radio and TV constantly. I always felt a lot of people didn’t even see the film but heard that speech and just assumed she must be good in the film as a whole and voted for her.

I think they played that clip at the Oscars too and Blanchett winced after it.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 492 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.