Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 5)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 516 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
BetteDavis
CateNicole
  • Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

It’s just not a winning performance. It’s not award worthy acting. It’s good, but she doesn’t do anything special or remarkable. It’s the kind of performance people can’t understand why it won ten years later. Seyfried has been great in other stuff, but she’s just fine here. I don’t see any passion building for her. I don’t see a path for her to win for this performance.

Jk, darling.

Profile picture
    Hayden
    Topics:

It’s the kind of performance people can’t understand why it won ten years later.

Beat me to it…

Profile picture
    Mickmack
    Topics:

Amanda is not winning and she’s not even good in the movie. The stans are delusional. And someone please put Glennie in a home with some puzzles before she embarrasses herself further. At this point it’s just elder abuse.

You’re embarrassing yourself!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Ronan is a limited actress, that’s why she keeps sticking with period films. It’s all she knows how to do.

Which is why Lady Bird was set in the 1940s and not early 2000s…

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Which is why Lady Bird was set in the 1940s and not early 2000s…

Victor Cruz said the truth. Ronan basically plays the same character all the time. She’s hit a very limited range and gets nominated because she stars in best picture nominees all the time

FYC:

Best Actor :
    Riz Ahmed for Sound Of Metal
    Delroy Lindo for Da 5 Bloods
    Gary Oldman for Mank

Best Actress:
    Andra Day for The United States vs Billie Holiday
    Vanessa Kirby for Pieces of a Woman

Best Supporting Actor:
    Daniel Kaluuya for Judas and the Black Messiah
    Paul Raci for Sound Of Metal

Best Supporting Actress:
    Amanda Seyfried for Mank
    Helena Zengel for News of the World

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Victor Cruz said the truth. Ronan basically plays the same character all the time. She’s hit a very limited range and gets nominated because she stars in best picture nominees all the time

Her character in <i>Lady Bird </i>was the opposite of her character in Brooklyn. It makes no sense for anyone to be able to objectively watch both those films and somehow think both characters were the same.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Pranksalot
    Topics:

Ronan is a limited actress, that’s why she keeps sticking with period films. It’s all she knows how to do.

lady bird, Hanna, how I live now, I could never be your woman, violet & daisy all say hello.

Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

I think that kind of comment “” did nothing “” is irritating, if there is no crying or screaming then it is not acting? I don’t want to prolong my defense on Seyfried but just looking at her in a specific scene at a dinner where there’s no need to say anything, that we already notice what her character wants to say, that’s a lot and how NOT to talk about her perfect line delivery in the scene ” Nobody but NOBODY makes a monkey outta William Randolph Hearst! ”

Like I said in the Mank thread, she is basically Kate Hudson playing The Great Gatsby getup. You know if this movie was done decades earlier like they wanted to, Hudson would have been in the role.

She does a lot more than Margot Robbie with her car and picnic scenes but it’s still just not nomination worthy. I guess the Basinger comparisons are valid, both are just looking like stars in old Hollywood while their roles and performances are hardly notable. She is going to be one of the worst win in a long time in her category if she happens.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Seyfried is great in Mank. The talk about her doing nothing couldn’t be more ridiculous. She has way more to do than the last two winning performances. It’s the embodiment of a fantastic SUPPORTING performance.

FYC:

Lead Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Supporting Actress: Maria Bakalova (Borat Subsequent Moviefilm)

Supporting Actor: Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

-----------------------------

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    fyras19
    Topics:

It’s one thing not to be like Seyfried’s performance, but to say she doesn’t have the passion or it’s not a winning part is delusional. She’s been singled-out by everyone and already has buzz and people rooting for he, she most likely will win some critic awards, her film will probably be the most nominated of the night and she’s willing to campaign. She does way more than Robbie in OUATiH, the comparison can’t be more off as the latter barely has any lines. She also has more or less the same screen time as past winners Janney, King and Dern. And although these were bigger names in the industry and  has a bigger narrative, their competition was stronger than Seyfried’s.

Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

Dern had one scene that was singled out and remembered by those who watched the movie. Seyfried really doesn’t have that (nor had Basinger in my opinion).

Profile picture
    fyras19
    Topics:

Dern had one scene that was singled out and remembered by those who watched the movie. Seyfried really doesn’t have that (nor had Basinger in my opinion).

What about King and Janney? There are performances that climax in one scene, and others that are better when viewed as a whole. Doesn’t mean one is better or worse than the other. Now, imo, I prefer Seyfried’s performance in Mank to Dern’s in Marriage story or to Janney’s in I, Tonya and find it more award-worthy. You can disagree with that, it just doesn’t make her any less of an Oscar player.

Profile picture
    Chloe Sevigny stan <3
    Topics:

This is such an interesting race because if not Seyfried then who could even win this category lol

Profile picture
    Canetto
    Topics:

So yours suppost winner is receiving not so passionate response while your not in prediction Close has a performance everywhere acclaimed. Hillbilly people cry watching her grandma or mother in her while nobody unless here is talking about this all open eyes exhibition.
    Keep dreaming.

Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

Seyfried’s performance is closer to Margot Robbie in Hollywood.

well margot robbie in hollywood was better than all nominees last year

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 516 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.