Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 7)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 525 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
Fletcher
  • Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

erik davis – Both Daniel Kaluuya & LaKeith Stanfield are terrific & awards worthy, but Dominique Fishback steals every frame she’s in

kyle bunacham – Daniel Kaluuya and Dominique Fishback are incredible in JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH

matt neglia – Dominique Fishback is the emotional center of this film. Was really impressed with her affecting work. The entire cast is tremendous!

trey mangum – Also, Dominique Fishback is GREAT

yolanda machado – Daniel Kaluuya, Lakeith Stanfield, and Dominique Fishback deserve all the awards for JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH. Performances are A+

robert daniels – Dominique Fishback, especially, jumped out on my second watch. I do have some issues with the film’s scope, but I don’t doubt anything else.

She’s coming.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Her lack of name recognition may hurt her but imo there’s no way Fishback is outside the top 8 right now.

I am also slotting Maria Bakalova in for the first time. I thought she might end up being the Tiffany Haddish of this season but she just showed up at the London Film Critics Circle today so that hints to me she has a great degree of strength and momentum going for her. She could ultimately miss out but it feels foolish not to consider her.

1. Ellen Burstyn, Pieces of a Woman
    2. Amanda Seyfried, Mank
    3. Olivia Colman, The Father
    4. Yuh-jung Youn, Minari
    5. Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

6. Jodie Foster, The Mauritanian
    7. Dominique Fishback, Judas and the Black Messiah
    8. Olivia Cooke, Sound of Metal
    9. Priyanka Chopra, The White Tiger
    10. Carey Mulligan, The Dig

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Fishback is COMINGGG hell YES!!!

Seems like I was wrong about Lyonne but I’m glad I was ahead of the game here.

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

6. Jodie Foster, The Mauritanian

Today came out as reviews of “The Mauritanian” and Foster was barely remembered, except to talk about his unimendisional character .

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Dominique Fishback looking good. That trailer even makes her look as co-lead. So excited to see Judas!

FYC

Best Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

I have a feeling that in general the Academy will ditch the older typical nominees in favor of fresh new faces in this category. Hopefully the new members as well as the diversity board bring some change.

How boring and typical it would be if the likes of Ellen Burstyn, Glenn Close, Olivia Colman and Jodie Foster get in over people like Maria Bakalova, Dominique Fishback, Yuh-jung Youn (older but still a fresh new face!) and Olivia Cooke.

Profile picture
    TVFan365
    Topics:

I think the nominees will be 5 of these 7 (listed in alphabetical order).

Maria Bakalova
    Ellen Burstyn
    Olivia Colman
    Glenn Close
    Dominique Fishback
    Amanda Seyfried
    Yuh-jung Youn

Dear Gold Derby, please add Ibrahima Gueye to the prediction center 🙂

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Her lack of name recognition may hurt her but imo there’s no way Fishback is outside the top 8 right now.

Lack of name isn’t much of a problem when you’re in a strong contender.

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

The duo is made even stronger by the understated and resonating work of young Dominique Fishback. Not having as much screen time as other supporting actress contenders is the type of work you can blink and miss if you’re not looking for it. Looking at past nominees like Catherine Keener in “Capote,” who received a nomination when her screen time was also lacking, she could find her way with no hiccups in the 2005-2006 awards season. As it stands, Fishback is one of the only Black performers in the supporting actress race, with all our hopes of diversity in the lineup resting on the shoulders of Yuh-Jung Youn in “Minari.” If that fails to materialize, an all-white supporting actress lineup is inevitable. We can hope voters consider what Fishback brings to her role, especially in the film’s heartwrenching climax.

https://variety.com/2021/film/awards/judas-and-the-black-messiah-oscars-chances-1234883361/

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

1. Amanda Seyfried, Mank
    2. Olivia Colman, The Father
    3. Ellen Burstyn, Pieces of a Woman
    4. Dominique Fishback, Judas and the Black Messiah
    5. Youn Yuh-jung, Minari

6. Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
    7. Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

That new Judas trailer is completely made for Fishback and Kaluuya. It’s like they knew clearly who they’re gonna push in this award season.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Burstyn and Colman are safe imo but otherwise I agree with 24fanatic. Bakalova, Fishback, Youn and Cooke all are dark horses who I think all are in the top 10 based on the momentum of their performances and/or the strength of their films.

I personally don’t see Glenn Close even in the top 10. Hillbilly Elegy came and went, doesn’t really have the audience hit narrative going for it so much anymore, they hate her and I have a feeling the current political circumstances will hurt her. I don’t think Academy members will feel comfortable (after what happened at the Capitol) in voting for a film based on a memoir by a known eugenicist and Trump fanatic.

wolfali wrote: Her lack of name recognition may hurt her but imo there’s no way Fishback is outside the top 8 right now. Lack of name isn’t much of a problem when you’re in a strong contender.

Which is why I said there is no way she is outside the top 8.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Little amount of screentime? Nooooo. Still, very excited to watch her.

FYC

Best Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I am so glad that I put in Fishback a few weeks back!

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    leslieit
    Topics:

Seyfried being frontrunner is a joke.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 525 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.