Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 7)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 479 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 hours ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Fletcher
JackO
  • Profile picture
    fuurelov5
    Topics:

Um is Carrie actually supporting in the dig?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Carrie isn’t supporting in The Dig. Carey is supporting in The Dig though.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Marrowbone
    Topics:

I still can’t stop thinking about Promising Young Woman. Looking forward to watch her in the new film.

⭐Best Actress - Carey Mulligan

⭐Best Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Keth
    Topics:

Looks Dominique Fishback is looking to make a splash in the supporting actress race.

I just saw the second trailer for Judas and the Black Messiah and was surprised to see Dominique Fishback – she does look promising here. Her portrayal of Darlene in The Deuce made me a fan. If her performance is indeed strong in Judas and the Black Messiah, I hope she does make a splash in the Oscar race.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Keth
    Topics:

I think Close could easily win this for the same reasons. If she ends up being nominated for Hillbilly Elegy, even if it will be the only nomination for the movie, I don’t see how they won’t feel like rewarding her, especially after the mortifying loss in 2019. I’d prefer seeing her win with a better movie and role, but I liked her in HE and I’ve seen veterans taking the golden dildo with far poorer performances

I agree. This may be where the Academy could finally award Glenn Close her overdue Oscar – if there is such a thing as an overdue Oscar. I can think of a few veterans who finally won for lesser performances – Al Pacino, Alan Arkin, Morgan Freeman, Judi Dench and Laura Dern. My only request to the Academy, even though it’s really none of my business, is to please don’t nominate Glenn Close just to watch her lose again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Separate note but when does voting for the Gold Derby awards open? March?

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fuurelov5
    Topics:

*Cary

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Justmimusicmon
    Topics:

I’d rather Glenn not be nominated here in supporting if they’re going to “embarrass” her and let her lose again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Marrowbone
    Topics:

It is not a big deal but I was glad to see it.

*btw this has nothing to do with this thread but I’m feeling like sharing it. I came across Uptown girls on TV. Brittany Murphy was such a good actress. And that voice!! I miss her.

⭐Best Actress - Carey Mulligan

⭐Best Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Burstyn was great but Glenn Close would’ve been even better as the mother in Pieces of a Woman. She has a more appropriate age and she’d probably be the frontrunner right now lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Against exactly no one that is in the Lead Actor conversation.

Okay, ya’ll keep holding on to Hopkins for dear life. I aint gonna stop you.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Okay, ya’ll keep holding on to Hopkins for dear life. I aint gonna stop you.

What does Hopkins have to do with Ben Adir?! He’s not winning but he’s not missing on a nomination. Specially to Ben Adir.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    galaxy98
    Topics:

Am I the only one in this forum that thinks Charlene Swankie could be a coattail nominee for Nomadland?.. that would be an interesting nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The problem with Swankie is that whilst I enjoyed her performance the Academy can be very stingy towards unknowns and have been more so in recent years. Roman Griffin Davis, George Mackay, Margot Robbie (The Wolf of Wall Street) etc the list goes on. Florence Pugh and Yalitza Aparicio are exceptions but Pugh was the lead in two other films that year and had the titular role in a BBC miniseries the prior year and Aparicio was in lead (where unknowns thrive more) in the BP frontrunner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I’d rather Glenn not be nominated here in supporting if they’re going to “embarrass” her and let her lose again.

It would be no “embarrassment” for Close’s Oscar tally to continue for work she’s proud of and believe in. That only continues her win narrative if she loses this year.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 479 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.