Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 7)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 496 through 505 (of 505 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
Fletcher
  • Profile picture
    Monty
    Topics:

Just wanna say that Monique has the best supporting actress performance of the past 2 decades.

It is close between her and Catherine Zeta-Jones.
    Supporting Actress winners are weak when compared to the Supporting Actor winners like Javier Barden, Heath Ledger, Christoph Waltz in Danjo, J. K. Simmons, etc.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Just finished watching Hillbilly Elegy. It took me ages to bring myself to watch this movie. Every frame were filled with horrible people screaming, cursing, and throw stuff at people, and there’s Glenn Close. I hate myself for thinking about this, but, I got the feeling that she might receive her eighth nom for this wreck, or even a win based on overdue narrative.

Her performance checks almost all the boxes that the Oscars loves to masturbate to, like:

✅ Based on a real person.

✅ A ‘transformative’ performance under unrecognizable makeup.

✅ A strong female character in a cruel world.

✅ A loving but tough grandmother role.

✅ An old woman who loves to gives big speech about life and motivates her loved ones.

✅ Get a sad scene watching her husband dies.

✅ Swears.

✅ Get ill.

✅ Dies.

I actually LOVE Glenn Close, and I really like her performance in this awful film. But a nomination is a no for me. Charlene Swankie in Nomadland deserves it more than her. With only 8 minutes of screentime, She gave a subtle, yet heartbreaking performance packed up in a single, long monologue about life that is surely a mesmerizing piece of acting.

Predicted lineup:

Amanda Seyfried, Mank

Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy

Ellen Burstyn, Pieces Of A Woman

Olivia Colman, The Father

For the 5th slot, Could be either – Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm or Yuh Jung-youn, Minari

Should be nominated: Charlene Swankie, Nomadland

Close has the best narrative of all the contenders here, and better late than never to “coming around” to that realization when we’ve been saying such since last year. People here can’t separate a great performance in a film that isn’t great, but thankfully, they aren’t Academy members. It’s not best picture being judged, and many performances have been nominated and won from films that wouldn’t be awarded elsewhere. Ebert famously said that those are the performances that are the most worthy of Oscar consideration b/c they’re the performances with the most “deficits” to overcome. That’s what I expect will happen with Close this year, and I’ll personally applaud it.

And yes, Mo’Nique is the gold standard winner of the past 25 years in this category.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This category so boring. Congrats Glenn Close!

On your first Razzie.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I can’t wait until Glenn Close breaks through with the televized awards and proves people wrong.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

I have now finally taken out Glenn for Dominique Fishback. But I still think she’s 6th at worst.

FYC:

Lead Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Supporting Actress: Maria Bakalova (Borat Subsequent Moviefilm)

Supporting Actor: Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

-----------------------------

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    deaetee
    Topics:

On your first Razzie.

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Okay I’m a Glenn and Amy stan but why do I feel like their Razzie noms will be inevitable, I liked their performances, and the movie was okay but like zkjsksmsmdk</p>

Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

I’m not buying Glenn getting nominated anywhere apart from maybe SAG. Her winning for such a tank would be an insult to her legacy.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Glenn signed up for this project, received a paycheck for it and went on to promote it. I don’t understand how it is up to us to determine whether it’d be an insult to her legacy. This is her career, not ours, so to say that it would be an insult is so bizarre to me, when she’d probably overjoyed to win for this.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

It is close between her and Catherine Zeta-Jones.
    Supporting Actress winners are weak when compared to the Supporting Actor winners like Javier Barden, Heath Ledger, Christoph Waltz in Danjo, J. K. Simmons, etc.

It’s because the majority of the supporting performances that nominated for actresses are nothing more a standard mother / great man’s wife role.

That’s why Lopez’s run last year was exciting, Ramona is a morally grey character who slowly descends further into anti-hero territory / villain of the film, in the vein of the aforementioned supporting actors. How often are female roles like that even in considered at all? (including lead).

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I wouldn’t say harshly received films have never received above the line nominations. Just not recently. There was a time when it was pretty common, especially in the supporting categories. My 2 cents on the subject: https://www.nextbestpicture.com/latest/do-you-have-to-be-in-a-great-film-to-give-a-great-performance

But has a film with a 25% on Rotten Tomatoes ever made it into a category like Supporting Actress? Especially in the age of critic reviews becoming a thing that people actually care about? I just don’t see it happening, especially when Close’s biggest competitors for the bottom spots are critically acclaimed and actually winning awards.

I could see Dominique Fishback knocking out one of Youn or Bakalova if her performance receives massive acclaim, but I have a hard time seeing either of those actresses snubbed to nominate a trashed performance in a critically panned movie.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Viewing 10 posts - 496 through 505 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.