Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 8)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 531 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Miles
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Did anybody watched The White Tiger yet?
    Thoughts?

Profile picture
    Marrowbone
    Topics:

Did anybody watched The White Tiger yet? Thoughts?

Rich and poor. The same old story, showing the sad reality – how privileged rich people are; how they can get away with anything (sometimes at the expense of the poor). Adarsh Gourav carries the entire film on his shoulders. He was really good.
    About Priyanka’s performance – nothing special, inspiring or memorable. I don’t think she will get any nominations, apart from CC.
    Briefly, the film itself wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great, as well.

⭐Best Actress - Carey Mulligan, Rosamund Pike

⭐Best Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-Jung

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t think we should rule out Jodie Foster. She’s been campaigning a lot and her film has a baity and timely subject matter. I understand why some are cautious because of the reviews but (unlike some other contenders with yellow and in some cases red scores on Metacritic that people have said are unaffected by reviews) this appears to be a love-hate situation à la Vice and Jojo Rabbit rather than “this film is bad”. I don’t think The Mauritanian will be as big as either Vice or Jojo Rabbit as a contender nor am I saying it will get in because of this but it definitely has passion too. It got in over more widely seen, more acclaimed and generally bigger categories at the London Film Critics Circle.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    MultipleOscarWinner
    Topics:

I don’t think we should rule out Jodie Foster. She’s been campaigning a lot and her film has a baity and timely subject matter. I understand why some are cautious because of the reviews but (unlike some other contenders with yellow and in some cases red scores on Metacritic that people have said are unaffected by reviews) this appears to be a love-hate situation à la Vice and Jojo Rabbit rather than “this film is bad”. I don’t think The Mauritanian will be as big as either Vice or Jojo Rabbit as a contender nor am I saying it will get in because of this but it definitely has passion too. It got in over more widely seen, more acclaimed and generally bigger categories at the London Film Critics Circle.

I wouldn’t call these the best comparisons. Jojo Rabbit is a film about Nazi Germany and Vice a film about a questionable politician and the Academy hardly passes on these type of films. Not only that, but on the opposite side they tend to reject dramas about about lawyers trying to get people out of prison.

FYC:

Best Actor:
    Delroy Lindo - Da 5 Bloods

Best Actress:
    Sidney Flanigan - Never Rarely Sometimes Always

Profile picture
    Someonelikeme
    Topics:

Jodie has been campaigning more than normal. That’s the only reason I think she can get it in, and I still think that to be a pretty small chance.

Profile picture
    LLLhawks
    Topics:

Did anybody watched The White Tiger yet?
    Thoughts?

It was alright. I enjoyed it.

SPOILER (KINDA)

Given the main character’s knack for spinning a tale, I thought for sure he was not as the opening scene suggests.

Agree with everything Marrowbone said but also, I wasn’t that big of a fan of that ending. But I’m glad this movie reminded me of my love for Mundian to Bach Ke.

Could this be India’s entry for next year? Or is the dialogue mostly in English? It felt like Hindi was spoken just as much as English.

I just love movies. And awards.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I wouldn’t call these the best comparisons. Jojo Rabbit is a film about Nazi Germany and Vice a film about a questionable politician and the Academy hardly passes on these type of films. Not only that, but on the opposite side they tend to reject dramas about about lawyers trying to get people out of prison.

And admittedly I said they aren’t the best comparisons:

I don’t think The Mauritanian will be as big as either Vice or Jojo Rabbit as a contender nor am I saying it will get in because of this

My point is more that this film seems to have love-hate passion (like those films did but not to the same extent) and that it’s not got a yellow MC score because it’s panned or universally considered average.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Seeing Judas Sunday. Hope fishback can earn her spot.

Profile picture
    TVLUVAH
    Topics:

Seeing Judas Sunday. Hope fishback can earn her spot.

I saw it last week, she absolutely deserves a nod. Great performance in a great film. SAG will love it for sure and I think Oscar voters will too…

On a side note, people really need to not take critic’s word for gospel when it comes to nominations The guilds often go their own ways and this year they will likely be quite different…. And also, Twitter means nothing to Guild voters. I have no idea why people put some much stock in knee-jerk reactions on social media whether positive or negative. The people who actually vote for awards, vote on the movies they watch and like, not on some random buzzmeter or critic’s words.

Profile picture
    Jkahlo
    Topics:

If Glenn somehow gets in, she’s taking it all the way tbh, there will be A LOT of hype for her, panned film or not

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Rich and poor. The same old story, showing the sad reality – how privileged rich people are; how they can get away with anything (sometimes at the expense of the poor). Adarsh Gourav carries the entire film on his shoulders. He was really good.
    About Priyanka’s performance – nothing special, inspiring or memorable. I don’t think she will get any nominations, apart from CC.
    Briefly, the film itself wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great, as well.

That’s too bad. Aravind Adiga’s novel was riveting.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

If Glenn somehow gets in, she’s taking it all the way tbh, there will be A LOT of hype for her, panned film or not

What if Glenn tied lol.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I have no idea why people put some much stock in knee-jerk reactions on social media whether positive or negative.

Better to base predictions off of some intel than none.

The people who actually vote for awards, vote on the movies they watch and like, not on some random buzzmeter or critic’s words.

We put stock in them because of correlation, not causation.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I know she shouldn’t but I still feel Glenn is getting a Globe nom.

FYC:

Vitalina Varela, Vitalina Varela (Actress)
    Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

Profile picture
    Marrowbone
    Topics:

That’s too bad. Aravind Adiga’s novel was riveting.

Yes, I prefer the book. Not surprisingly though. We all know that usually books are much better than their film adaptations.

⭐Best Actress - Carey Mulligan, Rosamund Pike

⭐Best Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-Jung

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 531 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.