Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 8)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 531 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Miles
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

The way I look at it, its pretty easy to see two locks:
    1)Amanda Seyfried
    2)Olivia Colman
    And for the record I think the winner will be one of them.
    That leaves 3 contenders for the other spots:
    3)Maria Bakalova
    4)Yuh-Jung Yeun
    5)Jodie Foster
    The Ones I think are contenders but won’t make the cut:
    6)Ellen Burstyn
    7)Candice Bergan

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Maria Bakalova, “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm”
    Ellen Burstyn, “Pieces of a Woman”
    Glenn Close, “Hillbilly Elegy”
    Olivia Colman, “The Father”
    Amanda Seyfried, “Mank”

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Maria Bakalova, “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm”
    Ellen Burstyn, “Pieces of a Woman”
    Glenn Close, “Hillbilly Elegy”
    Olivia Colman, “The Father”
    Amanda Seyfried, “Mank”

this feels like 2015 best supporting actor when same 5 were nommed for every award show.

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

I’ve watched some of Bakalova’s interviews and wow, I can’t believe she’s actually a formed dramatic actress. She felt so much like a natural comedian in Borat. Ugh, I really hope she makes it.

FYC

Best Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I’ve watched some of Bakalova’s interviews and wow, I can’t believe she’s actually an formed dramatic actress. She felt so much like a natural comedian in Borat. Ugh, I really hope she makes it.

This is the angle Amazon need to continue going for. Pushing her as a trained actor so it draws more attention to the craft of what she’s doing in the minds of voters.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

1. Youn Jung-Hoon
    2. Olivia Colman
    3. Amanda Seyfried
    4. Ellen Burstyn
    5. Dominique Fishback

Objectively speaking, there is no reason why I shouldn’t have Youn at number one. She has an Oscar-baity role in a likely Best Picture nominee, and is leading the critics awards. Comparisons to Zhao Shuzhen make no sense because The Farewell was nowhere as strong as Minari is right now, and contrary to popular perception, Zhao did not win even half the number of awards Youn has won (check Wikipedia!). If race is the only thing people are using to compare them, I don’t want to subscribe to that thought process.

Judas hitting the AFI top 10 and the NBR top 10 is making me feel more confident about its over-performance at the Oscars, so Dominique is safely in my top 5 right now.

Bakalova is interesting. She has won the second most critics awards after Youn, but I just cannot fathom the Academy going for this performance. It’s so far out of their comfort zone that even the recent wins for Parasite aren’t enough to convince me they will go for her. I made this mistake by predicting Lupita last year, despite knowing very well that the Academy won’t go for a performance like that.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Bakalova is interesting. She has won the second most critics awards after Youn, but I just cannot fathom the Academy going for this performance. It’s so far out of their comfort zone that even the recent wins for Parasite aren’t enough to convince me they will go for her. I made this mistake by predicting Lupita last year, despite knowing very well that the Academy won’t go for a performance like that.

This is how I feel (I also predicted Lupita…)

I have seen some comparisons with Marisa Tomei but every year we get someone who does well in the critics awards as the sole nod of their film and under-performs at the televised. J-Lo, Sandler, Blunt, Nyong’o, Dafoe… I can see her getting in at SAG and the Globes but unless she wins her Globe and gets in at BAFTA I won’t predict her. Just because I have made that mistake multiple times in the past with individual passion contenders in supporting.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

1. Youn Jung-Hoon
    2. Olivia Colman
    3. Amanda Seyfried
    4. Ellen Burstyn
    5. Dominique Fishback

Objectively speaking, there is no reason why I shouldn’t have Youn at number one. She has an Oscar-baity role in a likely Best Picture nominee, and is leading the critics awards. Comparisons to Zhao Shuzhen make no sense because The Farewell was nowhere as strong as Minari is right now, and contrary to popular perception, Zhao did not win even half the number of awards Youn has won (check Wikipedia!). If race is the only thing people are using to compare them, I don’t want to subscribe to that thought process.

And Youn just won NBR. So add that to her wins.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t see any reason to not predict Youn. I feel like if you have Minari in Picture you should have the most acclaimed and popular part of it too.

People keep making alarming comparisons to Parasite (and I feel some of those are quite unintentionally racist) but there was no female supporting standout for Parasite. Unless I’m mistaken Youn is the only submission in her category from the film and as Aayaan said she has a very conventionally baity role.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Marrowbone
    Topics:

I don’t see any reason to not predict Youn. I feel like if you have Minari in Picture you should have the most acclaimed and popular part of it too. People keep making alarming comparisons to Parasite (and I feel some of those are quite unintentionally racist) but there was no female supporting standout for Parasite. Unless I’m mistaken Youn is the only submission in her category from the film and as Aayaan said she has a very conventionally baity role.

I’m still waiting for you to share your opinion about the movie. Because you haven’t said anything yet, I guess you didn’t like it much.

⭐Best Actress - Carey Mulligan, Rosamund Pike

⭐Best Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-Jung

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m still waiting for you to share your opinion about the movie. Because you haven’t said anything yet, I guess you didn’t like it much.

Oh I forgot to post my review ooops.

I will pos tit later. I still need time to put down my thoughts (and that’s a good thing because I am feeling the same way about my Leftovers review and that’s now my favourite television show ever after I binged it over Christmas lol).

Profile picture
    Marrowbone
    Topics:

Oh I forgot to post my review ooops. I will pos tit later. I still need time to put down my thoughts (and that’s a good thing because I am feeling the same way about my Leftovers review and that’s now my favourite television show ever after I binged it over Christmas lol).

⭐Best Actress - Carey Mulligan, Rosamund Pike

⭐Best Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-Jung

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

In nomination likelihood:

1. Amanda Seyfried, Mank
    2. Olivia Colman, The Father
    3. Ellen Burstyn, Pieces of a Woman
    4. Youn Yuh-jung, Minari
    5. Dominique Fishback, Judas and the Black Messiah

In win likelihood:

1. Ellen Burstyn, Pieces of a Woman
    2. Amanda Seyfried, Mank
    3. Youn Yuh-jung, Minari
    4. Olivia Colman, The Father
    5. Dominique Fishback, Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

While Parasite was a critical darling, no one from the cast swept the critics nominations like Youn this year. I think she’s safe.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Is this race going to come down to Seyfried and Youn? It feels like Janney vs Metcalf in the sense that both are doing very well with critics and both stand out in this category for their memorable presences on screen and their performances being unique in terms of supporting contenders.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 531 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.