Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 8)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 531 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Miles
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

okay 😭

I mean it’s on Netflix, so you could always try starting it? I don’t like to actively discourage people from watching stuff.

Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

I don’t know, but I can’t deny my gut feeling that Close will be in. And if she’ll be in, I can’t imagine how they could not award her. Basically because I don’t see a very strong frontrunner (one that could maintain her status during industry award). But maybe it’s my bias, ’cause I love her and can’t wait to see her rewarded.

2021 Award Season, FYC:

Best Actress: CAREY MULLIGAN for PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN
    Best Actor: DELROY LINDO for DA 5 BLOODS
    Best Supporting Actress: GLENN CLOSE for HILLBILLY ELEGY

Profile picture
    galaxy98
    Topics:

I mean it’s on Netflix, so you could always try starting it? I don’t like to actively discourage people from watching stuff.

okay thanks. I’m going to watch it just for Seyfried.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

For you all saying Seyfried will happen even without Oldman because she has more passion and is getting nominated everywhere, people thought the same about Claire Foy. She’s not 100% safe.

Except Claire Foy was probably not far off. She got nominated at both the Globes and BAFTA whilst Gosling got nominated at 0 televised awards.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    S.N.
    Topics:

No, but even Claire Foy had a better shot at a nom than Ryan Gosling right till the end of voting. She had Globe and BAFTA noms while Gosling managed neither. And Seyfried’s role is baitier than Foy’s.

For full disclosure, I’m still predicting both Oldman and Seyfried, as well as Mank overall; I’m waiting for concrete evidence that the industry is cold on Fincher’s latest and won’t just nominate it out of obligation before I toss my predictions away. So take what I say with salt if you will.

You’re proving that Foy had more passion than Gosling, which I agree, and that Seyfried has more passion than Oldman, which I also agree. But that still doesn’t mean Seyfried will avoid the same fate of Foy if Oldman misses.

But like you, I’m still predicting both Oldman and her.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I don’t know, but I can’t deny my gut feeling that Close will be in. And if she’ll be in, I can’t imagine how they could not award her. Basically because I don’t see a very strong frontrunner (one that could maintain her status during industry award). But maybe it’s my bias, ’cause I love her and can’t wait to see her rewarded.

Same here.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Did Foy have passion or was her category emptier? I’m sure Gosling and Foy had a similar level of passion, but the 2018 supporting actress category was very anemic and empty, so Foy got in at a few precursors.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

For you all saying Seyfried will happen even without Oldman because she has more passion and is getting nominated everywhere, people thought the same about Claire Foy. She’s not 100% safe.

I mean duh but this is empty category. Mank seems just strong enough for her to back her way in.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Let’s cut the BS… Youn Yuh-jung deserves to WIN Supporting Actress. Point. Blank. Period.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

I’m predicting Glenn Close gets a nomination.

Profile picture
    maxinho
    Topics:

I’m predicting Youn to be snubbed at the globes, even I can see Bakalova getting in there, Glenn might be nominated, but Burstyn will prevail at the end.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

So, checking in here: I have had Olivia Colman winning all season. She admittedly has had a bumpier ride than anticipated, but I am sticking with The Father disproportionately being a major player at the televised awards. I see shades of The Imitation Game as a palatable crowd-pleaser.

I tend to avoid trailers, so much of my impression of The Father is just the poster that is simply Anthony Hopkins’s face in front of Colman’s. Given that I have never heard about anyone else in the movie, it seems like a two-hander, which means a borderline leading part in supporting for Colman. Then there is how I keep hearing that this is a tearjerker, so Colman probably gets some weighty material. Then there is how Colman is obviously a seasoned professional, so I am sure that she knocks whatever material she has out of the park. So what I gather is that this is a meaty, win-worthy performance in a top-five/three Best Picture contender. And finally, you have the Olivia Colman of it all. She is not young and overexposed like Jennifer Lawrence—nobody is ultimately going to be upset with her getting a second Oscar (so soon after her first). She is both a veteran and a “discovery”.

This is not to say that Colman just cruises to industry awards all the time, but I think that she is a very safe default. Putting aside the real visibility issues of The Father, there does seem to be a distinct lack of passion for this performance, exemplified by how she has underperformed even with groups that have responded to Hopkins or the film overall. Why I think that she wins is because I think that this race is missing the necessary proper frontrunner or passionate alternative. I have Maria Bakalova in second for the win because she is the Zendaya of the race. The difference is that the Motion Picture Academy is snootier than their television equivalent. Passion very much rules the day at the Emmys, but you need more of a prestige factor at the Oscars.

Bakalova is also getting undermined by Yuh-jung Youn overtaking her as the critical favourite. Amanda Seyfried is the Gold Derby frontrunner, but I do not know what the precedent is for awarding someone so relatively young in this category on their first nomination for such a quiet performance without screen time. I look at what she has and I look at what I imagine Colman has and I very much see this race shifting course once we get to the televised awards.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

I think supporting Actress is YU Ju vs Burstyn.

Amanda Seyfried has really failed to perform well with critics.

I see a scenario where

YU ju wins Critics Choice
    Seyfried wins Golden Globe
    Burstyn wins SAG
    Colman wins BAFTA

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

If you can type “Amanda Seyfried” you can type “Youn Yuh-jung”.

FYC: Michaela Coel and Rosamund Pike

Profile picture
    Nameizmann
    Topics:

Likelihood of winning:
    1. Burstyn
    2. Youn
    3. Colman
    4. Close
    5. Seyfried

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 531 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.