Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 9)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 512 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
Miles
  • Profile picture
    Canetto
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

I think she can win, I just think we need better reasons than that she ‘needs to win’ because of her narrative if we’re predicting her, and I think there’s plenty of things still against her that I can’t quite dismiss until she starts actually picking up the awards.

</p>
    A better reason can be found looking at the others potential noms:

Colman for a 2/2 win? It’s more likely a Stallone’s win than this scenario.

Foster? Not nomination for her.

Youn? For a foreign language performance, the year after Parasite triumph? No way. I can only remember the Loren win like the first one for a not English movie. Youn will be lucky to be nominated.

Amanda? She is the only real treat, but she is at second place and  not close to Glenn.

Zengel? No way she can win, the Paquin story is one in a million and this isn’t the year.

Bakalova? She could be nominated but would be 3/4 with Colman.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

SAG will tell us who will win the race. Especially if the Globe goes to Seyfried. It kind of reminds me of Alicia Vikander vs Kate Winslet.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Glenn in Hillbilly Elegy is miles better than Leo in The Revenant

Bullshit, The Revenant is one of DiCaprio’s greatest performances.

Btw, i think Seyfried is still in for a nomination.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”> </p> Youn? For a foreign language performance, the year after Parasite triumph? No way. I can only remember the Loren win like the first one for a not English movie. 

Not sure I agree with this. I don’t see how Parasite is particularly relevant to Youn at the Oscars, but it certainly doesn’t suggest the Academy will be more against rewarding an Asian performer. It’s a foreign language performance with obvious actor/ industry backing evidenced by her and the movie doing well at SAG, and the SAG Ensemble win for Parasite last year may reflect shifting tides in recognition for non-English language roles. Minari is also shaping up to be a popular and high-ranking film, which can only enhance her chances.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

SAG will tell us who will win the race. Especially if the Globe goes to Seyfried. It kind of reminds me of Alicia Vikander vs Kate Winslet.

If the Globe goes to Seyfried, I feel like that makes it more confusing, no? Especially if she wins something like CC on top of it, then BAFTA, Globes and SAG go for different winners. Unless someone sweeps, say, four out of those five, I don’t think there’ll be a clear winner before the ceremony.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

If Amanda wins Globe, I think Youn will actually win SAG lol.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If the Globe goes to Seyfried, I feel like that makes it more confusing, no? Especially if she wins something like CC on top of it, then BAFTA, Globes and SAG go for different winners. Unless someone sweeps, say, four out of those five, I don’t think there’ll be a clear winner before the ceremony.

I think if Amanda wins the Globe then either Youn or Bakalova wins the Oscar after winning SAG.

BAFTA is going to Colman as long as she’s nominated.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

BAFTA is going to Colman as long as she’s nominated.

This is the same reason they put Colman lower in 2019. Will this be redone this year? Hopefully, no. It will harm Colman’s career and the whole industry will think of her as THE stealer, especially when the best is Youn Yuh-jung. I’m okay with Close although I cannot say anything until precursor awards.

"The Lost Daughter" in every eligible category - Film
    "Succession" Season 3 in every eligible category - TV
    "Heaux Tales" by Jasmine Sullivan in every eligible category - Music

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I don’t believe this year we will reward anyone overdue. Do we really want Close to finally win on zoom?

Who do you think wants to win an Oscar on a Zoom call? That’s the world we live in today. An Oscar is an Oscar is an Oscar. The venue is irrelevant.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

The ceremony won’t happen until late April, when things will be a bit better in LA (cases and deaths are already dropping in the US). So I think there will still be an in-person component this year mixed with the virtual component. Glenn will also be vaccinated by then due to her age.

But even she wins an Oscar on Zoom, an Oscar is an Oscar. She’ll get her standing ovation when she announces the Supporting Actor winner next year.

Profile picture
    SDoesNotKnow504
    Topics:

I’m not as convinced that Colman will get BAFTA just because she’s British and a well-known working actress there. They already gave her a film award. I think they may give it to her if her performance in The Father is that undeniable, but from what I hear, it isn’t.

I see the race being Youn, Bakalova, Close, Colman, and Seyfried with maybe a “shocking” omission for someone we didn’t see coming, and I don’t mean Zengel.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

’m not as convinced that Colman will get BAFTA just because she’s British and a well-known working actress there.

That’s not why I think she’ll win BAFTA and I don’t think that’s why people think she’ll win the BAFTA. I think those of us predicting her to win are anticipating The Father will be well received by BAFTA.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

If Seyfried wins the Globe, I think Youn is winning CC. Minari performed exceptionally well at CC for Youn to not be taking this.

Profile picture
    SDoesNotKnow504
    Topics:

That’s not why I think she’ll win BAFTA and I don’t think that’s why people think she’ll win the BAFTA. I think those of us predicting her to win are anticipating The Father will be well received by BAFTA.

I only responded as such because I have heard and read exactly that in an argument as to why she’ll win BAFTA.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Imagine if one of Jodie Foster or Helena Zengel won the Globe after all of us arguing over whether it would be Close, Colman or Seyfried.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.