Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 420 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 hour ago
( +40 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
estrelas
David
  • Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Helena Zengel

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Saoirse is not winning her first in supporting. A nomination is likely if not other contenders emerge.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If HE is a dud (it has to be a massive one for Close to lose imo) I can see Burstyn win. I mean it could be their final chance to award her and people have won this category for less screen time before.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Saoirse is not winning this year. And to be honest, I don’t even think she’s getting nominated. She doesn’t have the movie and the reviews for her performance weren’t anything special either. Also, she has never been nominated for a movie that wasn’t nominated for Best Picture.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

People here are underestimating Stillwater, and especially Breslin.

I’m not even sure if Stillwater is coming out for this upcoming season.
    There have been no news/updates about it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I’m not even sure if Stillwater is coming out for this upcoming season. There have been no news/updates about it.

That is true. If it’s officcially delayed then I’ll remove it.

I’m not even sure who I’d put in the 5th slot over Breslin. I guess Burstyn. But Pieces of a Woman doesn’t feel like a multi-nominated Oscar film to me. Maybe Zengel? But they so rarely nominate child actors.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

So if HE is a dud and Close falls, who wins? Colman? I don’t see her winning a second oscar in this category so soon, also lead actress winners never win supporting AFTER their lead win, this race is not as strong as the lead actress one

Helen Hayes, Ingrid Bergman (after 2 lead wins), and Maggie Smith did.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

That is true. If it’s officcially delayed then I’ll remove it.

I’m not even sure who I’d put in the 5th slot over Breslin. I guess Burstyn. But Pieces of a Woman doesn’t feel like a multi-nominated Oscar film to me. Maybe Zengel? But they so rarely nominate child actors.

They love nominating child actors in Best Picture nominees, particularly girls: see Quvenzhané Wallis, Hailee Steinfeld, Saoirse Ronan, Abigail Breslin, Anna Paquin. And Keisha Castle-Hughes got into the lead category as the sole nominee of her film.

Also, if a film can get one acting nomination, it can muster another from the same branch if the material is there for it, even for a divisive film. Though I haven’t seen Pieces of a Woman so I can’t comment on the scope of Burstyn’s role.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Early Predictions

Ellen Burstyn, Pieces of a Woman
    Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy
    Olivia Colman, The Father
    Saoirse Ronan, Ammonite
    Amanda Seyfried, Mank

FYC OSCARS

AMY ADAMS- Best Actress
    The Boys in the Band- Jim Parsons/Screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

They love nominating child actors in Best Picture nominees, particularly girls: see Quvenzhané Wallis, Hailee Steinfeld, Saoirse Ronan, Abigail Breslin, Anna Paquin. And Keisha Castle-Hughes got into the lead category as the sole nominee of her film. 

Those performances are very specifically integral to the movies, and have received individual acclaim, with each of those actresses being singled out for their performances in reviews. If Zengel’s performance is received similarly, then I’d say she has a better shot, but until then she is still behind Burstyn and Ronan imo.

rubbish

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    rlk
    Topics:

Those performances are very specifically integral to the movies, and have received individual acclaim, with each of those actresses being singled out for their performances in reviews. If Zengel’s performance is received similarly, then I’d say she has a better shot, but until then she is still behind Burstyn and Ronan imo.

She is definitely integral within the novel — exactly on par with Hailee Steinfeld in True Grit.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Zengel is probably closer to being a co-lead, if anything. She’s definitely in here if News of the World is a BP nominee.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Hmm, that is true. But if Hanks is snubbed, like I’m predicting, it woukd be weird to nominate Zengel and not him. Unless her performance is way better somehow.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Hmm, that is true. But if Hanks is snubbed, like I’m predicting, it woukd be weird to nominate Zengel and not him. Unless her performance is way better somehow.

It wouldn’t be that weird assuming she’s great in it. And Hanks has often been taken for granted, as his 19-year nomination drought proves.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

True, it does sound weird, but so was a complete unknown like Barkhad Abdi getting nominated for Captain Phillips while Hanks was snubbed.

Right now I’m predicting both Hanks and Zengel, but I don’t think either are safe.

Let’s Go Bucks

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 420 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.