Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 320 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
39 mins ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
SN
Eddy Q
JV
  • Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Is the editing in Sound of Metal particularly showy? Still haven’t seen it, though its editing might not need to be dialled up to Whiplash levels in order to win. It doesn’t necessarily have to win ACE either; Whiplash lost there to Boyhood, and Ford v Ferrari lost to Parasite.

I finally watched Emma, and I’d be very surprised if it won Costume Design. Alexandra Byrne’s work is great as always but it isn’t so showy that I think it would overcome having no Production Design or above-the-line nominations; even Mulan might be ahead of it. Emma might also be the first Makeup & Hairstyling nominee to be recognised primarily for its hairstyling than its makeup.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Magnus
    Topics:

Is the editing in Sound of Metal particularly showy?

Nope. But it’s good.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It isn’t the showiest piece of editing in the world but Amazon in their promotion covers keep promoting one of the most chaotic moments of the film which, to a branch that loves flashy editing, could give off the allusion that the editing is flashier than it really is.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Not at all. The showiest editing nominee this year, in my opinion, is The Trial of the Chicago 7 — I have not seen The Father tho.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

About the Editing category:

Sound of Metal: It has the Sound stat, but I’m not sure how revelant will be with only one category. It doesn’t have showy Editing and it’s not the usual winner in this category.

The Trial of the Chicago 7: It is the usual winner and it has flashy/showy Editing, but lone Editing winners are very rare, since it’s not winning Screenplay. The last one was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. 

The Father: The Editing plays an important part of the movie, but the ACE snub keeps me from predicting it. I do think it will take BAFTA.

Promising Young Woman: Along with Trial, it’s the nominee with the most flashy Editing, but I can’see a winning path here.

Nomadland: The Editing is really important too, to keep the pace with the short situations Fern and the nomads find themselves in. It helps to tell the story, giving up an aimless sense of direction. I’d say it’s 3rd, right after Sound of Metal and The Trial of the Chicago 7.

But Nomadland winning would make Zhao the most awarded person in one night, after Walt Disney.

Bong Joon Ho didn’t really held the Foreign Feature Oscar, which went to South Korea.

I’m predicting The Father to win BAFTA and Trial to win ACE, and then Sound of Metal/Nomadland could take the Oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I’d say Zhao will win Editing only if she loses Screenplay.

I still this is Sound of Metal to lose. Yes, it’s not what usually win this, but it’s not what usually wins Sound either and it’s locked there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

Yeah I’m really baffled on why people think Sound of Metal will take editing. Sure, it has a very creative and integral sound design, but the editing isn’t flashy like most winners. Even though it’s about a drummer, the editing style is slow and nothing like whiplash or bohemian rhapsody.
    While I won’t discount Sound of Metal, I do think that Trial is winning here as while it doesn’t have the best editing, it has the most editing, which while missing Sound for obvious reasons, still fits the bill of typical editing winners.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

While I won’t discount Sound of Metal, I do think that Trial is winning here as while it doesn’t have the best editing, it has the most editing, which while missing Sound for obvious reasons, still fits the bill of typical editing winners.

It was nominated for CAS. It could’ve got a Sound nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

One thing I will say about Sound of Metal is that it won editing at Critics Choice (tied with Chicago 7) even though it didn’t have to: I don’t think it was largely considered a frontrunner in that category at the time. Critics Choice has sometimes awarded films that the editors branch snubbed, but usually that was because they were considered potential editing winners at the Oscars early in the season (believe it or not, that even applied to Birdman at one point). They also forecasted the surprise win for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

One thing I realized is there was a chance the sole Editing stat would’ve been broken again last year if the Sound categories were merged. I think 1917 would’ve taken Sound and FvF would’ve taken Editing. FvF could perfectly have taken both but who knows.

FvF was still a Sound nominee, as was TGWTDT, which is not case for Chicago 7. I have a feeling SoM will win BAFTA and Nomadland will win ACE like Parasite did last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

I think The Father can upset in Editing if it wins the BAFTA.

FYC

Best Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think The Father will take editing at BAFTA and Sound of Metal will take the Oscar.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

The Father could take BAFTA but I have a flashback of when Dunkirk and Baby Driver tied at the CC and the later won BAFTA despite the lack of Film/Director noms that the former had.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Well, the editing branch votes on it, but so do all of the other branches.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Calvin
    Topics:

If voters took time to watch every film in the category in contention, Pinnochio should win in a landslide.

FYC:

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 320 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.