Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Crafts Categories (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 367 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
SN
JV
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I had Mank in my predictions for Best Cinematography forever and finally convinced myself Nomadland would win the Oscar! Good grief, what a crazy Oscar season!!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Cool that “Mank” won ASC! Maybe an upset is brewing in Cinematography after all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

At least you didn’t get 0.💀

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Singsongoflove01
    Topics:

I just checked my predictions and found that I am only predicting 5 categories to go to a movie that isn’t in first place in the Gold Derby predictions center!!! Best Actress: Viola Davis; Best Original Screenplay: Promising Young Woman; Makeup & Hairstyling: Mank; Costume Design: Mulan; and Documentary Short: Do Not Split – this one is in 5th place and is a totally way out there gut intuition pick based solely on the description of the film! I am hoping I can get at least 80% correct this year!

I just saw all the shorts. FWIW it’s amazing how powerful these short films are. They’re so good. If you go to ifc.com you can pay to watch them. I liked Don’t Split a lot but Love Song fir Latasha will win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If Mank beats Nomadland in Cinematography at the Oscars…

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I still think Ma Rainey could miss one of the Costumes and Makeup categories, even though it won BAFTA, CC and the guild award in both categories.

I remember when Alice in Wonderland won Production Design despite losing BAFTA, CC and ADG for Inception. The Academy clearly wasn’t a big fan of Inception, since it missed Directing and Editing noms, so Alice in Wonderland could coattail a Production Design win from its locked Costume Design win.

I can see Mank doing the opposite, coattailing Costumes from its Production Design win. The ASC and VES wins are a sign it still has some guild support.

I won’t dare to put that in my actual predictions, but I could see that happening.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

I think Trial is winning the Editing Oscar. If any film and year is going to break stats, it’ll be this film and year. It’s the showiest editing and interweaves multiple storylines.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

When the regular voter see the beautiful sky in Nomadland, they will vote for it.

Lol exactly! Nomadland did have great cinematography if you look into it, but I’m afraid many regular voters voted because of the reason you said.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    A G Wooding
    Topics:

Lol exactly! Nomadland did have great cinematography if you look into it, but I’m afraid many regular voters voted because of the reason you said.

I’m really starting to panic about Costume Design and Makeup and Hair.

What is the big deal about Ma Rainey? There isn’t a single costume change in the whole film and Oscars like the most of things. I want to change to Emma. or possibly something else but Ma Rainey just keeps winning everything! Is there something I’m missing?

As for Makeup, I’m just hoping Ma Rainey splits will Hillbilly Elegy because they both have similar attributes as nominees and that this allows Pinocchio to come in and take it. Does this line of thinking have any merit to it?

Seriously, someone help me 😂

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

If Mank beats Nomadland in Cinematography at the Oscars…

Mank also beat Nomadland at the British Cinematographers guild so at least we know what the actual branch will most likely vote for. Doubt it changes Nomadland’s chances at a win but still something interesting to note.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

I’m really starting to panic about Costume Design and Makeup and Hair. What is the big deal about Ma Rainey? There isn’t a single costume change in the whole film and Oscars like the most of things. I want to change to Emma. or possibly something else but Ma Rainey just keeps winning everything! Is there something I’m missing? As for Makeup, I’m just hoping Ma Rainey splits will Hillbilly Elegy because they both have similar attributes as nominees and that this allows Pinocchio to come in and take it. Does this line of thinking have any merit to it? Seriously, someone help me 😂

Costume is done. Ma Rainey is taking it and I love its design so I’m fine. As for Makeup, they tend to vote for the “big award contender” or the famous ones so Ma Rainey is still the frontrunner, but it’s Pinocchio that could pull an upset imo. They love special make-up effects, let alone Pinocchio got a surprising Costume nom.

For stats, “Best Period Make-Up” and “Best Special Make-Up Effects” in makeup guild awards are great indicators.  Ma Rainey won the former while Pinocchio took the latter this year.  6/7 recent Oscars winners won also “Best Period  Make-Up” and the missed ones (e.g., Bombshell) are usually winners of “Best Special Make-Up Effects.”

The most baffling category for me rn is still Editing….

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

I think Trial is winning the Editing Oscar. If any film and year is going to break stats, it’ll be this film and year. It’s the showiest editing and interweaves multiple storylines.

That’s what people said at BAFTA too and I fell for it. I’m going with the Sound winner this time because only one BP nominee won just Editing and that was in 1942 and I don’t think Trial can win anything else.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am trying to decide whether to switch my prediction back to Mank for Best Cinematography instead of Nomadland – that guild win for Mank has me thinking I ought to do so. I had Mank in first since the day of the nominations but a few days I got persuaded to make the switch, mainly because Nomadland winning only 3 Oscars without it and 4 with it makes me more sense! Personally I liked Mank’s cinematography better but predicting is more about trying to figure out what the voters will do!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 367 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.